Faderfox UC4 <3 Octatrack?

Finally took the time and mapped my UC4 to DN yesterday. It really opens up DN and the setup is pretty straightforward and fun. The eight buttons are perfect for muting/unmuting all DN tracks, so I can jump around on track select mode on DN and ignore its mute mode. I will set up different control modes for different situations, the process is more fun than I thought.

I’m actually thinking about getting a second UC4 for my ST. Does anyone else use two in a MIDI chain? Wondering if there would be any issues when merging the two of them, but it should all be fine. Maybe @alechko has an idea on that as well.

MIDI chain would be as follows: UC4 (1) -> UC4 (2) -> DN MIDI in -> DN MIDI out into ST MIDI in

Both UC4s would control different DN parameters. The one dedicated to ST would send changes to DN MIDI tracks and DN MIDI tracks would be set up so that they send CC values to certain ST tracks. I would sometimes also send breath controller, mod wheel or aftertouch infos to ST this way, so I can set up macros for these on ST.

I would like to avoid something like a Midihub or additional MIDI gear. I like that DN would be my control center, even though it might sound a bit complicated.

I know it’s been a while, but I love this setup - was thinking about getting UC4 for my BlackBox / DT - how would you rate your experience with this setup after a while? Do you still use it? I would love 1010 to also allow for mixer / fx midi mapping - this would enable so much cool live performance options.

1 Like

no idea, I only have EC4 at my disposal, theoretically shouldn’t be an issue if UC4 has same midi routing/merge functionality as EC4:

you’d have to check with the manual for that one, but mind that the functionality is basic and nothing like Midihub, it’s just merging midi/usb in so you’d have to setup separate channels for each controller, like one of them does channels 1-8 and the other 9-16, so there won’t be any collisions.

2 Likes

Thanks! UC4 has the same features you’ve mentioned. The one dedicated to DN audio tracks would only send on channels 1-4. The one dedicated to ST will send on channels 12-15, which are my DN MIDI tracks. So there should be no collision.

2 Likes

Page 5 of the UC4 manual covers it:

MIDI in and out ports with routing and merge functionality

I don’t use two UC4’s, but I do have a control keyboard attached to the MIDI in of my UC4 and it passes everything through without issue (MIDI and USB).

As to DN, think it can also be configured to pass MIDI in to out.

1 Like

imo notes only, cc’s gets filtered, only THRU will pass cc info…

now that I’m thinking about it, maybe consider selling the UC4 for MX12? you’d loose 4 faders from 2 UC4 units but the benefits are two midi outs, so one can go to DN and the other to ST, while using one of the midi ins you can get the clock/transport from DN and potentially connect the keyboard to the other midi in? and one usb instead of two usb cables.
just a thought…

1 Like

I‘ve thought about this, but I like the smaller size of two UC4 units that I can fit under my laptop stands. Plus they have more faders, which are really important to mey

1 Like

I use blackbox bluebox constantly on my rigs really like it excellent to play live anywhere.my controllers faderfox uc4 midi fighter twister,lauchpad mini mk3, simultaneously with a the conductive labs MRCC MIDI ROUTER and also as a midi host, i control the Bluebox, octatrack,digitakt,h90.it opens a lot, it focus more into preforming than menu diving on each machine.save time on a quick program change on a fly.

1 Like

Love the rig - PROPER! Thanks a lot for your reply. We have similar taste I guess - got MK1, DT & BB as well - just H9 instead of 90, but I will get there one day ;)) I’m MK1 ultra - I think non other device feels like this and recently got a brand new/b-stock faceplate for mine from Elektron and new knobs. 8 years old machine works / looks like new. Even the springs under keys work different on MK1 for me - it feels way better than DT - it’s so much joy to operate this machine. I think that UC4 will be first and then maybe Midi Fighter Twister - I was using old 3D for BlackBox before got the EP-133 and it was working quite well together.

2 Likes

love my octatrack mk1, those claky grey buttons are sweet

2 Likes

How can I link faders, encoders and buttons for groups? I find it very annoying and confusing that changing a group does not change the fader settings. It’s very confusing that if I change a group, changes are only applied to encoders and buttons, but not to faders.