FaderFox EC4

They sure are sold for a lot considering… I’ll think thats what im going to do aswell. Should be able to salvage enough parts from old cables.

Nice! Now that you mention it. I actually have a Hobbytronics Usb midi host box laying around.

1 Like

I believe those should work just fine?

2 Likes

Could someone who is using this with an octatrack give me a quick tutorial on how to set it up?

What exactly are you trying to control?
You will find the OT’s midi implementation chart at the end of its manual, then you just set up a Setup/Group on your Faderfox and program it with the CC numbers that control the functions you want to control on your OT.

If you give me more detail about what you want to control, I can help you set up a template for your OT.

Also, just came to this thread to say that I am loving the Faderfox EC4, such a good controller, really lovely & highly recommended. I have Setups set up for my Toraiz AS1 (SysEx shared in the Toraiz AS1 thread) and am now working on a Setup for Studio One and Bitwig respectively.

16 setups, 16 groups per setup, 16 endless encoders per group…whoa!

6 Likes

Thanks very much, but I figured it out :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Love my new Faderfox controllers, using the EC4 and PC4 for controlling hardware synths and FX and the UC4 for Ableton Live.
The EC4 and PC4 are so easy to setup and program as there’s an online editor (none for the UC4) however they’re all pretty straight forward. I spent the last few spare days assigning various synth modules and drum machines, I really love my Fadefoxes, only had them a month but just had the chance these last few days to start using them.

9 Likes

For those interested, Mathias from faderfox released the live 11 version of his ableton script.
It’s available on the EC4 page.

It’s working great but unfortunately the 16 macros are not yet implemented, just 8 macros (too bad it’s the only aspect of the scipt I use … )
Mathias confirmed me that he plans to implement that on a future update. But I don’t know when that will be.

4 Likes

I’m curious about the thru functions. Is it possible to use it as a usb-midi interface to update hardware via sysex via midiox?

2 Likes

For me it isnt working - i placed it at the specified location, and set the EC4 to remote control - i can see it midi sending - but i cant control volume of the mixer with it. Do i miss something ?

Well that’s weird, if you’ve selected it in the control surface settings and then ticked the track and remote boxes in the midi ports in and out ,it should work.

if i setup a normal midi control, and wiggle it:

The folder updates, when i create /remove directory from it - and it seems that my user is allowed to change the file. (checked permissions.) (Well its under my users profile anyway.)
The file content seems ok - i redownloaded the live 11 script, and checked the file content date to verify its the most recent one.

On my mac, I don’t use the user library’s folder Macintosh HD/Users/[username]/Music/Ableton/User Library ) but the application content folder "/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/

1 Like

Nice ! That works - it has to be in the folder you told. Thanks for your help!

I followed this instruction, that didn’t work.

I am thinking of getting an EC4 to controll mod, aftertouch, … on all 4 tracks of my Digitone. I wonder if it is possible to avoid value jumps after pattern changes. Can DN send MIDI feedback or accept relative CC values?

3 Likes

I’m also curious about this, as I was considering one for the AR, but I suspect the answer is no.

1 Like

I think only the OT cand send its value after a CC61 has been sent to it. The other Elektron boxes don’t do this IIRC.

3 Likes

Is there any setting for avoiding parameter jumps when relaunching Ableton Live?

1 Like

Idle thought - could the EC4 be programmed like a sequencer?

• It can send note on/off
  • It can send note number

However I don’t think any transport commands can be sent - unless they could be assigned to a cc and used with the note on/off function?
It’s very early AM here so this thought may not be a straight one!

Would be more like a simple minikeyboard then.
There’s no way to cycle through the notes and transport could only control transport on another device.

Btw, Faderfox makes a sequencer/controller, the SC4.

3 Likes