FaderFox EC4

or just remap the CC on encoder where it’s on 123… that’s pretty much it :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh snap.

sorted. I’ll do that.

cheers, stellar detective work :beers:

1 Like

remapped on the EC4. working perfectly

beware cc123 folks :joy:

3 Likes

I missed that amazing news ! Crazy good update … thanks very much to the dev !

Do you know if there’s a hack to modify the live script to have a page with 16 macros instead of 8 macros + volumes. On the previous version I made my own custom script with control surface studio but it was quite a pain. If there’s a shorter route …

I think it’s criminal to put out a MIDI controller with knobs that take more than a single turn to send the full range of CC (128 steps) but that’s just me.

My PadKontrol has 32-step encoders that feel great but are so steppy as to be useless.

That said it appears that Faderfox must have updated the EC4 hardware as it currently states on the product page that they are 72 steps… a 2X jump

It seems like you can adjust this, per the manual, to be as fine or coarse as you’d like:

I have an EC4 on the way and I’m psyched to check it out.

2 Likes

Yes, you can adjust the knobs to turn at different rates. Fear not, as you can definitely adjust it so that it’ll go the full spectrum of midi values in one turn.
Once you get your head wrapped around the editing process, it’s really quick to make custom mappings. The editor helps a great deal to speed the process up, but can certainly be done without. You can also download the editor so you can use it offline.
I can also testify that the midi settings for 1010 Nano boxes are remembered after turning the Nano off. I recommend making a EC4 Template on the Nanos, much like you would a Digitakt one, so you don’t have to keep remapping everytime you use the Razzmatazz, or 1010’s other offerings.

I haven’t uploaded the FW v2 script yet to see if it supports 16 macros but I did that with the previous FW and it shouldn’t be hard actually:

EDIT: just updated the script to the latest and in the Live 11 setup both Dev groups (groups 3 and 4) utilize 16 macros, so you can just update the script and it should work

1 Like

Anyone heard of when these will be available again? Most retailers have been out of stock for a while now.

I bought one directly from Mathias at Faderfox last year - contact details are on the Faderfox site

2 Likes

I’ve checked youtube and read the manual, but I can’t figure out whether the current firmware and Ableton script automatically shows abbreviations of the device macro names automatically on the EC4? Also, if you map something in Ableton, does the name show up on the device, or do you need to make your own set ups and write your own labels manually? Thanks for any insight.

Where do you live?

I’m in the US

Damn. :frowning: Moog Audio has them in stock in Canada but they don’t ship outside of Canada:

Nightlife Electronics, which does ship internationally, has them listed as ‘Sold Out’ which usually means they won’t be getting them anymore.

yeah thanks, I noticed that too. There are a couple on eBay but a bit overpriced. I’m going to email Faderfox directly to check on availability.

Hi, thomannmusic.com have them in stock, just now before posting. However I don’t know how many lurkers will order after my posting. :wink:

3 Likes

I got one earlier this week. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions on setting mappings up with Live? I’m not interested in controlling the volume or pan, does Live have a method to assign MIDI CC to “selected track”? Nuendo/Cubase has that function and it’s pretty sweet. So any track I select if I tap a button or move a knob I know it’ll be that channel’s EQ, etc. It’s very handy but I’m not sure if Ableton has a mapping scheme like that. I’ll hit the manual and see. It seems like you can do this - you can save default audio tracks…but assigning MIDI CC to a device would just mean any track’s macros would be linked to it, and that’s no good.

The EC4 and Nuendo/Cubase is terrific though! Mapped it as a remote across two Groups. First page will activate/deactivate 4 sends and control their levels, and also activate the 4 EQ bands, with the knobs controlling Q, Gain, Freq. The second Group controls everything in the Channel Strip.

not really for CC, it does work with Control Scripts but the one provided with EC4 has fixed 8 tracks mixer stuff and you can use the Dev(ice) group to control up to 16 macros of a selected device, so if you create an effects rack with 16 macros you’d be able to control that rack just by selecting it (currently by mouse or keyboard though).

you can potentially create your own Control Script, they are written in python and shouldn’t be too hard, but there’s no proper documentation available and I never could find one, would love to create some custom script for my EC4 too…

that’s amazing and why I took a good look at Cubase, these are super useful, the channel strip is something I want a lot in Live.

2 Likes

Do the parameter names of the 16 device macros show up as labels on the EC4 automatically?

nope, it’s a one way street, every encoder just corresponds with the macro number.
maybe Electra One can do that? not sure…

1 Like