Facebook even worse?

I just notice a large increase in the amount of random people i don’t know “recommending” pages and posts to me, this is new for everyone? Yes, facebook is trash, but the second-hand market are better than craigslist on a lot of things, so i put up with it, i just noticed even more spam garbage from people i don’t know and things i don’t care about.

3 Likes

I’m gonna be honest that I haven’t had a facebook account since maybe 2010 and it was already the worst version of itself that I could have imagined. I guess progress works in both directions so I can only imagine how bad it is now.

17 Likes

Getting off Facebook was one of my better decisions. Arguing about politics with the past friends and acquaintances? No thanks.

23 Likes

I guess i’m a boomer? I find following certain people and groups as helpful in life, there are better forums on Facebook for a lot of synth groups, like my MC707 than Roland has itself…

Yeah, i’m not into that, but they have great groups for lazy ass companies like Roland who don’t have their own good forums, like Elektron does. And the 2nd hand classifieds are great, so i deal with the shitty adverts of facebook… I have found more answers on FB or YT for my Roland kit than anywhere else.

1 Like

I don’t think boomer has anything to do with it, I’m just antisocial as fuck.

9 Likes

I don’t have very many friends IRL, i’m not on facebook to talk about random BS, i actually have a goal, like when i go into Target, not like NPCs roaming around looking for nothing. I’m not trying to get into political discussions on facebook, that’s looking for arguments.

5 Likes

this is me. everywhere.

6 Likes

I have an account just for some synth groups.
I googled about yoga classes in my area, now every 5th post in my FB feed is young women with intentional camel toe demonstrating their “yoga flow” it’s a cringe fest.

7 Likes

Facebook always seemed like the place for miserable people pretending they are happy!

Never signed up, life’s good!!

13 Likes

Keep in mind that isaac anthony’s usecase is not social. There are user groups where you can connect with a more technical community of gear addicts, even some of the product creators because they’ve been on there since like 2008 or whatever. I don’t think he’s specifically there for the toe shots.

Not trying to put words in his mouth er, chatbox, though.

3 Likes

I haven’t had facebook since 2019 and then it was only for work. Haven’t had any social media for about a year now. This forum is the closest I get to socials. It’s been a joy.
I do sometimes wish I could use facebook marketplace, or follow brands on instagram.

7 Likes

This does have its advantages! My neighbor put Trex on his deck and posted his 40 year old lumber on the marketplace.

Someone took it all the next day. No fees for disposal or the other nonsense that comes with construction waste!

2 Likes

It’s sad to me that anything like fb has ever existed. All social media really, i feel sorry for kids in the online world that some irresponsible & evil people built for todays generation

8 Likes

Yeah, on that specifically, I’m a contractor so I have many ways of dealing with that waste. Haha!

2 Likes

Somewhat related — I would recommend the book “Stolen Focus” by Johann Hari to anyone interested in learning more about our collective diminishing attention span and how our world has been engineered to maximize ever-more-potent forms of digital distraction. It’s on Spotify if you’re into audio books.

(Related because social media, ads/recommendations, etc.)

6 Likes

To be fair, a Facebook connection helped to feed my family for around 18 months so I’m thankful for that. Still, glad I ditched it.

5 Likes

Yeah, marketplace is decent and i follow musicians and record labels, i try to curate my feed really good to get out as much garbage as possible, and this last couple days, the random recommendations from people i don’t know recommending shit i don’t care about, seems out of control…

2 Likes

It must have gotten really bad then. When I shut down my account it was horrible. The algorithm promoting inflammatory sociopolitical rubbish was vile. Can’t imagine it getting worse.

2 Likes

They are all recommending super generic shit, like 80’s BMX group or 80’s rally cars group, etc, i’m glad i haven’t seen any of the political adds, nothing makes me run faster.