External device out into digitone midi in

Hey everybody!
I’ve been using the digitone keys for a while but now want to implement midi into my creations.
I have plugged a BAMBOO M (jack out) into my DG (midi in).
Raw sound is playing accordingly to what the Bamboo sends.
Now, I can’t find out how to modulate the sound (LFO, arpeggio, length of the notes…). Any knob turned just drying change the sound whatsoever.
Any clue please?

not familiar with BAMBOO M, but does it sends any CC information? if it does, then you need to map them to the DN CC values or to AT/BC/MW macros, DN will accept all of these on AUTO CHANNEL based on what track you’re currently on or by sending the info to a specific track.

1 Like

Thank you!
I sent a request to the maker.
I’m not familiar with AT, BC, MW …
also, what is AUTO CHANNEL?
MIDI is such a different world!

Will try again once I receive the CC, if any. Is it possible that there are no CC?

AfterTouch, BreathController and ModWheel are common way to add expressions, DN has all of them as 4 destination macros in the SOUND SETUP menu [FUNC+TRIG] at the bottom, they all types of CC information.

AUTO CHANNEL defined in MIDI > CHANNELS menu, by default it’s channel 10 iirc, that means that any incomind midi data will affect the current track in focus. in the same menu you can set designated midi channels for each track or the fx so you can send information regardless of current track.

well, I suppose with something like Blokas Midihub you can create something to translate notes into cc information, but it would be very specific to notes so not sure if that will work for you…

1 Like

What is a Bamboo M? All I could find is this:
BAMBOO M - Christmas Offer - Music of the Plants

Are you connecting your plants to the Bamboo and then to the Digitone? It’s possible the Bamboo doesn’t send CC. You can always use the Digitone’s LFOs to modulate stuff, but it’s not related to the output of the plants and (thus) would not be “natural”.

1 Like

Thank you for your message. This is the device!

Still waiting for a reply from the maker regarding the CC.
It already guides the sound colour with different settings. What i would like to do is colour it myself with the Digitone, sculpt a sound that I like. The plant activity won’t be changed. I guess it’s a collaboration with plants, like you have DJs that modulate the voice of a singer.

Are you in Japan?

who me? I used to be. I still travel there every year; i try to play shows too.

1 Like

Don’t hesitate to wave hi then :pray:パパの音楽

Hey there. It’s getting very frustrating here.
Yesterday it worked, today it doesn’t. I’m spending literally hours to fix it but I can’t find the way out.
The set up is very simple, but all these MIDI config are very understand for me to process…

So I have my device (bamboo m) which is playing. It works with the internet speaker if this device. It also works when I plug it in the INPUT of the digitone. But that’s not what I’m looking for.
I plug it from out to digitone MIDI IN so i can shape the sound of the Bamboo m with the digitone. It was working yesterday…
I don’t need any CC, AT, BC, MW.
I just want the signal to go through.
Can somebody help me with specific steps. I’m going to send my midi menu settings.

Thank you out there!

Are you trying to use the Bamboo to generate MIDI information that gets routed into the Digitone for note generation? Run the Bamboo’s audio into the Digitone’s audio in and use the effects? A combination of those? I’m not quite clear on what you’re trying to achieve.

1 Like

Trying to use the Bamboo to generate MIDI information that’s gets routed into the Digitone for note generation! Thank you🙏

Ok, how do you have the Bamboo connected to the Digitone? Looks like it uses a micro-USB adapter to send DIN MIDI out, is that what you’re using?

1 Like

Mini jack out of the Bamboo.
Midi in the DG

Just one cable, brand new, purchased from the Bamboo maker

I take it it has some way to switch the audio out port to a MIDI out then? -

You’ll need to know what channel it’s outputting on, usually most things are channel 1 by default. On the Digitone try setting the auto channel to 1, if that doesn’t work keep changing up the channels and if the Bamboo is outputting notes you should hear something at some point.

But due to how the Bamboo appears to work with a clip on a leaf of a plant(?) I would suggest using a MIDI monitor on a computer and connecting the Bamboo with a USB cable to see if it is indeed reliably outputting notes. MIDI OX is good on Windows, I think there’s another similar program for Mac.

2 Likes

MIDI Monitor

@marianomusique did you get any documentation with the Bamboo M? I can’t see any docs available at the store page, it should detail how the midi out works, there are 16 channels and you need to know what channel the Bamboo M sends out

edit: ok I’ve found the docs but no mention about midi details, you should install a midi monitor and see where the Bamboo sends the notes to

2 Likes