Expressive E Touché

Sorry, meant on the a4 specifically.

Wondered the same thing – i think somehow it’s one of the presets inside Lié #801??

Good jb you dug up how many presets you can save on the Touché. 24 would be enough if you can keep track on what one you are loading.

I have the first one and I have to say it is truly great. There is mapping yes, so time and programming is a rational thing to think about. That said it makes things that aren’t really that great to begin with become full of potential somehow. I doubt for instance that I would have used the lie like a player on its own, but with the thing its quite inspiring. And then obviously CV…I have a DFAM and my experiments are coolish, but I have not much CV experience…but Im thinking…Grandmother. I recommend it wholeheartedly if the basic functionality seems attractive to you at all based on the videos!

1 Like

The sound on sound review is very enthusiastic about using it with the AH, boggles the mind, I have yet to try.

This thing looks great.
SE version is very tempting.
Seems like a great way to add some organic and natural expression

3 Likes

For those in Europe, there is a Latvia based shop with Touche (both versions) at pretty good prices. Just got myself an SE for £170 (incl postage). Not a huge saving but at that price I couldn’t resist any longer.

Think they have 1 SE left and a couple of full versions. Hopefully all arrives ok but thought I’d spread the word if anyone was interested.

EDIT: meant to say “Latvia based shop/seller on eBay” there

1 Like

Anybody try using it with a USB host device (Kenton or whatever), to be able to use it without a computer?

1 Like

Check my video a few posts up.

Thanks Carl for showing the Live rack macro control with this unit.
Keen to potentially purchase for exactly that purpose.
Currently use a controller with assigned knob per macro but it is difficult controlling multiple knobs simultaneously.
This controller seems to solve that problem

1 Like

This new verison has be debating what usb midi host to add to my system …

So tempted at that price but I definitely can’t buy more things just now. Let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Various USB to Midi and CV options:

USB Midi hosts to Din Midi:
Kenton MIDI USB Host MkII
Miditech USB MIDI Host
BomeBox
SIPARIO
Retrokits RK-005 USB MIDI HUB
the Retrokiits RK-004 could be used as well with the addition of Raspberry Pi
Blokas Midihub – In Beta or nearly so.
There are Raspberry Pi ways to do this too.

Midi to CV
Expert Sleepers FH-2
Expert Sleepers Disting mk4 – Not enough channels alone
the Expert Sleepers ES-8 can be used to do CV interface too, it’s an audio interface.
Intellijel µMIDI 1U together with the µMIDI Jacks 1U
Polyend Poly

No doubt there are other options for both categories. (And little doubt i’ve made errors with this too, so check and comment or PM and i’ll update this .) It would be nice to have the two functions together somewhere – wait i know where, the complete Expressive E Touché.

Thats my Touche here. Can’t knock the price I paid but Jesus the two week wait for it to arrive was ripping the piss a bit.

Anyway, some initial thoughts on half an hour of play time…

Fun! I’m only scratching the surface and I crudely compared it to something like the AK’s joystick. I still kind of stand by that comment though can see very easily how much deeper it goes. I had a little bit of a minor faff getting things to work (iLok - boo) but now I’m up and running I think this will play very nicely with my attempts to breath some life into my ITB noodling.

Build quality is good. It oddly looks more premium than it is. That isn’t to say it doesn’t feel good (it does), it’s just a bit more plasticky than I expected. Think Kompete Kontrol sort of build. It sits nice and flush to Push 2 though which I like very much. Kind of gives Push 2 a sort of quasi MPE feel to things.

Need to give some thought into my ideal sensitivity - it’s easily adjustable though. Down the line I might try routing some midi into the Octatrack to see if I can do some weird stuff with it.

For the asking price, it seems like a really nice addition. Time will tell if I give it serious use.

1 Like

Yeah i was noticing from pictures that the SE and the original appear slightly different, in particular the top surface looks to be wood (like walnut) in the original and black with the SE.

I assume it still feels fairly rugged. I know you thought you might not spend enough time with it, but you wouldn’t want it to wear out if you used it for everything all the time, it should be designed for that.

Not sure what top of the SE is made of but it feels nice. There was a suggestion that the wood panel would be available separately.

It Def feels solid enough. It doesn’t slide about from rigorous movement and feels like it’ll last the pace in a studio environment. Not sure about carrying it about though, would Def want a case of sorts for that but then that’s usual isn’t it.

Edited to fix the frankly abysmal predictive text effort!

1 Like

Hey so these guys have made a suite of physical modelling synths (cello, violin, viola) for use with the Touché… some videos on facebook, it looks very expressive, with the Touché simulating the action of a bow, and sounds very nice too. Quite exciting to see them taking this concept further in such a useful direction.

2 Likes
  1. Yes there are now different wood top plates to switch between.

2. I’m trying out the Arché - will make video for release Tuesday.

1 Like

Yup. Quoting myself. No regrets. :wink:

I finished that video. (And yeah - quite a bit of A4MKII in it).

5 Likes

Nice! Very emotive and expressive.

I keep thinking about getting a Touché. I’m probably not a good enough player to justify it really, though

I’m a shit player but touche is a lot of fun! It actually makes you sound better (to my ears at least)!

1 Like