Expressive E Touché

Saw the video on the Expressive E Touché at Sonic State:

Thought this controller needs a thread here.

Then i wondered about how it might fit in with Elektron gear, and found this:

Now granted this demonstration in some ways seems to be rather crude (clueless perhaps, quite creative to turn the Touché 90 degrees and twang it), and yet it still caught my attention. I’m intrigued.

Any general reactions or ideas on Elektron specific usage welcome here.

https://www.expressivee.com/

5 Likes

Strange the form factor give me the feeling it’s for feet and every video i seen guys use their hands :stuck_out_tongue: (it’s like driving a Car Upside down :slight_smile: )

I really think that’s the kind of DIY things people can do with some programmation. I was very more attracted by the Roli Seabord Rise or Joué (http://www.play-joue.com)

Also damn it’s expensive :stuck_out_tongue: for what it is…

2 Likes

It’s 400€. That’s pretty cheap compared to the Roli Seaboard.

It’s all custom hardware, probably custom sensors and it takes quite some high level of engineering to get the haptics right and to get the right response. It is sure more than just some DIY programming. It also sends CV and both USB and hardware Midi. I was actually pretty tempted by this for my Eurorack. It is a great alternative to the classic joystick or modwheel.

5 Likes

Agreed, this thing cant be cheap for a small company to produce. The software looks slick, the hardware does too. 400 is kinda worth it for a unique approach, one thing though, must it be plugged into USB power to use? Seems weird to have such a diversely useful controller that has to be plugged into a computer at all times. This could be super cool changing cutoffs/resonance on OT and changing arp speed/type, also you could map CCs on your OT so you wouldnt always need the computer. Hmmm

i believe the computer is just used for the editor. you don’t need it for regular use. you can power it from a USB charger.

1 Like

Agree with @alfred the engineering looks very well considered, and kudos to the company for not making it just yet another boring computer requiring controller, I think it could be interesting when combining say midi to the OT and CV to a modular setup, I’m rather tempted by it and I’m not normally that interested in controllers.

It does kind of look like it is designed for foot use though, I assumed it was when I first saw it too.

1 Like

I just looked and the website says it is USB bus powered, would you be able to use a usb wall plug?

According to the demonstration video any USB wall plug can power it.

1 Like

1 Like

Had my eye on this for a while, seems like the first really innovative control device to come out in a long time, plus it does CV too. Another plus: the midi output merges the Touché data with its input data, so you can use it downstream of a midi keyboard without requiring a merge box.

Currently waiting for a Windows version of their config software before I add it to my wantlist.

There is a beta version coming soon of the Windows version of the software for this controller – Lié.

you can subscribe to get more info on that here:
http://expressivee.us12.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=c53cc629035d93dfc26f1fcf9&id=c0bc88fb85

The controller itself wouldn’t be tied to an OS, but as i understand it you need the Lié software to make config changes.

Added: They say Windows 10 – not sure if there is any support for earlier Windows.

The Expressive E Touché might be interesting for the new Expression/CV inputs on the A4MK2.

Yes!

I’m using it here (via midi):

…and here (via CV):

2 Likes

i got one and it’s amazing. very cool piece of kit

I wait to get a Touché when the LIÉ software is more improved after sseing the Sonicstate review.

I loved having a Roli Rise but what ground my gears was the regular fannying around to make it work in Live. Just a pain. I do love these sort of expressive instruments for bringing ITB set ups alive. How’s this one for setting up?

Same, I’m waiting for a Windows version.

Someone on here ruined the roli keyboards for me when they said it felt like something out of a kronenberg movie, now its all I can think of when I see someone squidging those keys. Love the idea of expressiveness in controllers but I cant see the squidgy keys catching on, Ive played them and I think theres gotta be more practical ways to add more dimensions to playability, maybe it just takes more time to adapt to the squidginess

1 Like

This.

Even after a few months of owning a seaboard I couldn’t get used to the feel of it and found something about its squishy surfaces fundamentally disagreeable.

I’ve long wanted to try Touch Keys but have never had the opportunity. Somewhere there is an alternative world where this kind of functionality just comes as standard on all keyboards. Tis just a shame its not the one I live in.

I’d also be interested in giving Touché a try once they get round to releasing a Windows version of Lié.

my biggest complaint is that it doesn’t natively control any of the synths included in live. you have to midi map the parameters individually