Expressive E Touché

Good news!

Also bad news. GAS is now increasing.

2 Likes

I feel like this would be amazing with a Digitone… Does their setup software work on windows yet?

@CarlMikaelBjork has a few videos with the touché and A4. cool stuff

2 Likes

I don’t think that the Touche has caught on in the greater synth community. Almost all of the videos on it are with workstations, soft synth/MIDI controllers, and people with high-end studio equipment. It appears to have more of an upper-caste following, which is a shame because it looks like it would enhance almost any synth.

1 Like

on a similar but completely different track, considering one of these, this looks like fun: Le Strum (much cheaper too)

2 Likes

And please, anybody got a resource for mapping it to kontakt instruments?

Just came across this by accident on Synthopia. Spent my lunch hour checking it out and got to say I’m impressed. I know it’s ultimately a Touche minus the CV/Midi but when that’s saving £130+ and still maintains the useability for me (it was always a device to use with ITB apps for me) then it becomes incredibly tempting.

Just need to get my head round how well the host vst works in something like Live when looking to record automation of the various movements.

And for those interested, def check out that Soniclab video above - there is a section where the French chap plays some of the presets that is quite stunning with how acoustic it sounded.

I did a video with exactly that narrative!

4 Likes

Watched your vid yesterday!

From reading around the web I’m actually surprised so many people haven’t grasped that this can still be used with hardware - just with an extra step in the middle (in most cases).

Did you enjoy the Touche? I do wonder if it would be one of those purchases that I’d end up not spending enough time with but it does seem much more natural to me that using, say, 4 modulation lanes in Live and trying to automate using the mod strip on Push or by moving multiple knobs.

2 Likes

To intend the unintend … if that isn’t what it’s all about, at least it does make things a little more vibrant and fun. Good video CarlMikaelBjork.

Now what else to disrupt?

1 Like

I think for expression while playing the Touché in any incarnation is hard to beat (I have the first gen since before, as well). You should be aware, though, that it’s like a wheel or joystick that springs back to zero/middle when not touched. There is a freeze function (press knob/button) that holds the current modulation when let go. It’s just different (more tactile!) than knobs, sliders or touch strips.

If you watch Andrew Huang’s video you can see what a more skilled keyboard player can do. he really shows how to play it. As an instrument.

2 Likes

I’m struggling to contain the GAS with the Touche. Has anyone round these parts used the “full” version with Elektron gear? Wondering if it could work nicely with an A4 for example. I’m wondering if it would kind of act like a substitute foe the AK’s joystick in that regard. And then I can have fun with it in my DAW.

I’d waste the day away at work looking at my phone but left it at home today :sleepy:

Og Touché and ak here ! TBH you can’t really compare the ak’s joystick and the touché, the amplitude, response curve and size makes the Touché infinitely more delicate, subtle , precise and controlable…
I use the touché mainly on the AK and the Nord G2.
The joystick on the ak serve for instant on/off drastic change of the sounds, and the touché for expressivity and continuous modulations…Makes the ak even more of an instrument, hard to get the same feeling with the joystick…
Dunno if this helps…

2 Likes

Oh absolutely, not trying to say the joystick and Touche are one and the same. But how you describe the Touche is actually pretty useful.

Easy to set up and get going with the AK?

The Touche is such an odd device for me. When I first saw it a while back I was thinking “what the hell is this nonsense” but over time the wow factor has grown and grown considerably.

As simple as puting cc values in an interface ! :smile:
Works instantly…

1 Like

Is the touche Fun with drum sounds on the a4?

I think id probably end up not using it enough too. watched the demo video earlier, looks natural and fun and all but I get a strong feeling i’d spend significantly more time remapping it than actually using it which would quickly become boring. the vids never show all the dicking about remapping between layering. if any owners could comment on that id be interested to hear what anyone has to say. does it save set ups?

2 Likes

Like yeah – the Touché has an internal memory to store midi mappings. You need Lié to store them in there in the first place, but can access them stand alone later.

Is that your question jb?

It sounds to me that since you are thinking in terms of all the different mappings you’d use with this that it’s probably a good bet you’d find this extra useful.

Full disclosure – i don’t own one yet.

ADDED: To run Lié on a PC you need Windows 10.

2 Likes
1 Like

yeah that was my question. 24 presets saved to the hardware in case anyone else is looking. hmmm. I usually avoid buying things like this cause lemur gets me pretty far. that percussion video with the slides was pretty unique though and i’ve never got deep enough into lemur to code “presets” like that, im sure its doable though. I wonder what parameters it was mapped to when hes doing the percussion thing

1 Like