Expressive E Osmose

Disappointing news but at least I’ll have an MPE compatible DAW (Live 11) by the time it arrives.

Resetting expectations now - hopefully it’ll arrive by June.

I don’t really even feel disappointment… we knew this was coming in some shape or form, it felt inevitabe given the global situation.

The update is quite promising, I think the setting up of the ‘parallel’ production line shows expressive-e are very much working wihin the confines of whats possible now - rather than hoping it’ll all improve very soon. (no doubt thats costing expressive-e finanicially, so good to hear about the investment)

Hopefully 2021 will be kinder to everyone…

keep up the good work expressive-e!

3 Likes

That’s my bet !

1 Like

Well, I consider today to still be part of “mid-November”, so in my book the newsletter is “on time”. :stuck_out_tongue:

The newsletter mentions unexpected incidents like the recent fire at the AKM factory, which is one of their DAC suppliers in Japan. This is cited as one of the sources of high-in-demand, high quality parts that they wish to use in Osmose.

The newsletter also mentions the design, testing, and evaluation of the custom keybed design to support all this MPE+ goodness on the keyboard. Not just the keybed design of course, but all the parts that go into it. They’re relying on international partnerships to get this keybed done, and the closing of borders caused by the pandemic affected the process.

They could have gone the route of Behringer, Arturia, etc. and just have it made from cheap, more widely available parts and thus have it out sooner, but then more customers would be crying over the thing falling apart, “feeling wrong”, etc.

1 Like

I like the new demos.

Any bets on which drops first, Osmose or Modwave?

I hope we do get an update.
Although I’m slightly dreading to hear what the impact of Brexit is going to be on the net cost of my preorder :roll_eyes:

I’m in the process of confirming this with them. Someone on Facebook already had a note to say vat would be deducted. That’s my expectation on How this should work so the net impact on uk pre orders would be 2% plus handling fee.

Will see what the guys come back with though…

Just received a fairly solid response from Chris at Expressive E.

It’s not great news for those of us in the UK who have preordered unfortunately. VAT and customs will be applied. Due to their business practices, the final residual balance will remain the same. Expressive E don’t appear to be doing anything unusual here it’s just an unusual set of circumstances and the timing is unfortunate.

In short, Brexit is increasing our preorders by c22%+.

I’m going to give it some time before deciding what I’ll do. I was reminded of the option for a refund. Not like I need to make an immediate decision on it all.

I don’t understand - VAT should not be charged twice irrespective of their business practices.

It effectively isn’t charged twice is how I understand it.

UK preorders are now non EU orders (obviously) and now priced similarly to what happened with our pals in the US for simplicity. So no vat included.

But the short of it is that my final payment to Expressive E is to be 780 euros regardless but that now does not include vat. I pay vat once but my total is increasing due to Brexit.

Of course, Expressive E could reduce the residual balance but they are not doing so.

1 Like

But it must have included VAT before? Just because it was a preorder wouldn’t make it exempt.

Maybe you’re saying they’re effectively increasing the price if you’re not in the EU?

1 Like

Yes, the indicative balance at preorder did include vat. Vat was included in my deposit.

I kind of can’t be arsed arguing with them. Already tired of dealing with these and covid scenarios elsewhere!

If you’re UK based then I encourage you to reach out them. Only passing on what I’ve been told directly from them.

1 Like

Yes, that’s pretty much what’s happening.

1 Like

The more time pass the more im thinking i would actually prefer the Haken Continuum since the sound engine seems more optimized for the Continuum like slide and
key pressure.
The Continuum is way more expansive though

I don’t get it. Are you saying Expressive E should jump in, compensate and pay for the circumstances that UK leaves EU? I cannot follow.

1 Like

January Newletter just arrives. Let’s see if we get the machines in the summer.

2021 will be the year of the Osmose release, and we can’t wait to share it with you! We are now close to the goal…

4 Likes

No that’s not really the argument at all.

My preorder was for 1100 odd euros. This was inclusive of vat. I have a residual balance remaining of 780 euros but due to Brexit circumstances I will be charged vat at the uk border.

My argument is that Expressive E should deduct the vat at their end. I pay me same amount, Expressive will effectively receive the same amount (no vat for them to pay to EU as a result of this).

Unfortunately that’s not how they want to operate so I’m having to fork out another 20% as a result if keeping the preorder.

Another way of looking at it: if they had come closer to hitting their original delivery targets I’d not be having to pay up another £200!

I’ve also got to wonder if UK border will calculate vat on the total value and not just the residual balance here. In that Scenario I am most definitely getting hit twice for some of the vat as vat was applied to the deposit.

3 Likes

And 12 hours later … voila !

What, d’you think i’m psychic or something ?

EE is getting closer to being able to predict delivery but there is still a lot of uncertainty with their plans. Looks like for those planning their budgets, pencil in the closing payment for mid April — tax time if you’re in the US ! :grimacing:

I do like this though:
An Osmose special new feature will be revealed to you in a future newsletter !

Of course we already knew there was a surprise on the way, back in November was it.
I’m still guessing it relates to the I2C interface, but maybe some software feature, or something else !! Thoughts ?

2 Likes

If shipping to the UK, expressive e would not have to pay the VAT at their end anymore? Is that not how it works? Customer pays it directly to customs at the border.

So by not reducing the price (ie. removing the VAT at their end) expressive e will be pocketing the extra cash.

Happy to be schooled otherwise.

2 Likes