Experiences with DSI Tetra and possible alternatives?

Recently sold a Prophet 6 (and Analog Four) and still think it was the right decision but I currently find myself without a poly synth and would like to get some of that Prophet / Dave Smith vibe back.

I loved the Prophet 6 for being so knobby but on the other hand I get on really well with the more menu-divey Elektrons. So I was thinking I’d be ok with something like the DSI Tetra or even a budget synth like a Microkorg or Mininova. I think I’d also be ok with more of a preset machine.

I could get a Tetra for 400€ second hand which I think is a pretty good price. Microkorgs and Mininovas go for as little as 200 sometimes but I think there’s something about the sound of the Tetra that makes me want to get that. Then again, would be awesome to just have a synth (with keys) to play on its own although the Tetra does have an internal sequencer.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the Tetra and possible alternatives!

2 Likes

I don’t know if you read this and if it’s relevant?

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/16i6p7i/thoughts_on_dave_smith_tetra/

2 Likes

Didn’t read that one before but have seen similar comments elsewhere. Obviously figured it’s not a very nice synth to program but I don’t know what (VA or analog) synth in that price range is. The UI is definitely the reason I didn’t just buy it already.

1 Like

Pretty menu divey but if you’re looking at Tetra, have you looked into Mopho X4 at all? Within a couple hundred of each other (on the low side of X4 pricing) and probably the same headaches but a bit more tactile.

2 Likes

Note that the X4 is not multi-timbral.

Dreadbox Nymphes is a good option: similar price, no screen for menu-diving.

2 Likes

I would check out the Behringer Pro 800… great sound and great price. Really.

1 Like

Love the sound of the mopho, i have a tetra that i don’t use much though. The UI is terrible for sound design on both. You have to assign a value to change to a knob, then change the value using that knob. It’s worse than the AS-1 in that respect.

But i love the sound…

How about the Minilogue XD?

1 Like

Ouch! Absolutely hated the AS-1 UI! :grimacing:

I think the Minilogue would be an option. Might go for the OG version though.

Pagination and scrolling through pages would go such a long way in the direction of sensible UI - the mopho and tetra have 4 assignable encoders so that would work really well. But it wasn’t to be…

1 Like

Have you considered a Take 5? Can do more than the Prophet, great keybed, classic Dave Smith sound. Highly, highly recommended.

3 Likes

Yeah, certainly gives me pause…

I’ve been listening to this guy’s Microkorg patches for two years probably and really loving the Tetra patches as well. Pretty much exactly the sound I’m after.

Definitely on my list. However, it’s a step up price-wise from most of the other synths I’ve been considering and my original intention was to save (some of) the money I got from selling the Prophet 6. :grinning:

Had a tetra years ago. It’s a lovely synth if you’re ok to program it… on a computer… in advance. I found it not very fun and was blown away when I got my hands on a rev 2.

1 Like

The Micromonsta 2 comes to mind.

4 Likes

Actually had a Micromonsta 1 at some point and you’re right, it wasn’t too bad to program. Will have to listen to some of my MM recordings from back then.

Anyone know any Micromonsta 2 videos with the BoC sort of type sounds?

Well if it doesn’t have to be an analog i’d take a look at hydrasynth too. 4 different ”sizes” but all have atleast 8 voices and are considerably easier to program - the explorer is in tetra territory price wise

1 Like

The mm2 is a night and day difference to program compared the to the mopho (I have both). Managing both ends of a patch in the modulation matrix is a breeze on the mm2 … amazing considering how few knobs it has, so well designed.

2 Likes

Didn’t someone on here go the Tetra and BCR2000/DSI overlay route?

I’ve always wanted a prophet 08/rev2 and curious if tetra would fill that want.

1 Like

Not so BoC, but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDNL-3ksbIg

1 Like

Had Tetra 10 years ago and decided to sell it to friend. Liked very much the musicality (many usable and quite expressive presets) and the tone (although Curtis filters produce an impression of over saturation with distinct color).
Programming was super tedious. I used the official editor, but it was not very stable and overall experience was meh, tied to the PC again.
Regarding the multitimbrality… I don’t remember the details, but it was not available at the moment? Or required some extra software? I did not have time to dive in and sold it eventually.

Question: which modern DSI synth inherits and expands this engine? Or there was none?

2 Likes