Eventide Ultratap

Yeah, these are clearly intended to go on pedalboards rather than be desktop units (though I think they’re great desktop units with the line level switches etc). I reckon they have market research telling them that many guitarists want pedals with all the controls surfaced and labelled, no screen, nothing complicated. These are a much more pedalboard-friendly size than the Factor series too.

Also: true bypass, which is something a lot of guitarists prefer.

1 Like

Because it needs reasonably powerful DSP, which you have already paid for when buying your phone.

2 Likes

I think they are the same algos.

I have no explanation to offer on the cost of the pedals. Perceived value/price is a personal thing and it’s not my job to argue on that matter.

I am personally more comfortable playing at band rehearsals and gigs with a pedal like this than using my iPhone/iPad

This is what I really this is the crux for these. I often take notes during rehearsal for programming my H9 later, while also having my iPad up for quick adjustments in the moment. It’s not ideal, but again, the trade off on stage with 2 H9s and a Morningstar pedal allows me to be way more in the moment in a performance. (Of course, this was in the beforefore… I haven’t been in the same room with a bandmate in over a year.)

Alas, I suspect we’d need to see a ubiquity of the ultra-tap algorithim in the £100 multifx pedal market before the dominance of shimmer will start to wane…

I also take notes during rehearsal.

However, i took the time to learn Expert Mode on the H9 so I could access all 10 parameters onstage if necessary, because when we were on stage, I did not believe I would be allowed to run backstage to my iPhone/iPad just to change the Hi/Lo EQ settings on the Black Hole preset I was using.

1 Like

Ha! nice. I just roll with it… no adjustments on-stage with my H9s… fortunately, saxophone is always going to be saxophone without effects. It’s not always as crucial in a moment, though it does depend on the band I’m playing with.

1 Like

I had the H9 in my mixer aux bus, so in the worst case scenario when the singer is coming over and yelling at me to turn it down in the mix, it’s easily done.

I had to practice using Expert Mode every day to get used to it. I’d have to relearn it completely now.

1 Like

Not gonna lie, I don’t like the blue along the vanilla metal colour :sweat_smile:
Otherwise it seems pretty neat and kinda tempting, as with the other recent Eventide pedals.

Looks like choice of color simply came from the H9 Control app. For example, Micropitch is red because the algo of the same name is red in the app… because the algo is from the Pitchfactor pedal which is red.

Might not be a bad idea for Eventide to ship this pedal with stickers, like Elektron did with the Model boxes, to make it easy for the new owner to personalize the look.

I’m all for these $279 single algorithm pedals.
Many of us know exactly which algorithms we want, as well as which ones we don’t want to pay for. And yea I love playing the size and EQ knobs live on the Blackhole pedal. Totally different experience than H9.

Please do MangledVerb next, Eventide :pray:t3:

(But also consider printing save and load at least on the side of the pedals, I put stickers there to remind myself which buttons do which)

3 Likes

This and the new Micropitch are probably identical inside. It’ll be great if they do the same thing Source Audio have done and allow algorithms to be swapped between Chorus-Flanger-Phaser pedals. Buy one, get all three.
Could have a vinyl overlay for each H9 algorithm

1 Like

H9 expert mode sounds hella complicated, though it just means each of the three buttons can step through the whole list of ten parameters each effect has. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, it didn’t take long to learn H9 Expert Mode.

However, it’s not like learning to ride a bike - speaking as someone who didn’t learn how to ride a bike until long after graduation from university. It’s one of those things I forget if I don’t use it for months.

1 Like

This.

Ricky Tinez did a quick rundown of this, I think it sounds nice on a minimal track across the mix as he is using it here.

USB mini is an odd choice over C, but anything is better than micro.

4 Likes

I just bought one of these, which arrived today.

I’m still testing it out but it does some wonderful things to keys and pads. It seems to work OK as a basic delay too (setting taps to 1 or 2 for a ping pong), but has limited controls.

I also got the Blackhole VST as a bonus freebie, through this offer: https://www.eventideaudio.com/dot9-promo

I was tossing up getting the H9 but I thought the interface would frustrate me. Even things like the Blofeld tested my patience :laughing:. I’ll probably post a more thorough review in a bit.

3 Likes

Nice!

I’d love to have the UltraTap and Shimmer in two separate pedals like this. Those are primarily the ones I use. The others are great of course, but I find that I can make these two do much of what the others can with enough tweaking, so I stick mainly to them.

1 Like

thanks for the tip.

1 Like

The USB port is annoying, but I can’t see using it for anything other than the rare firmware update. I never use the USB port on my TF or Space.

Lack of MIDI is a bit of a bummer, but I assume that this is a subset of TF, which does have full size DIN MIDI.

I also strongly prefer the knobby boxes to the H9.

Overall, I’m glad this exists but I don’t have much GAS for it.

1 Like