Eventide Rose

Heard some rumblings about a new looper pedal from Eventide - seems to go in a more modern direction - in sound, not necessarily functionality - than the Strymon Volante.

1 Like

no sign of midi and not stereo (mono with exp), so not the looper (nor price range) for me

unusual design if true

1 Like

One of the pics of the prototypes shows a USB port on the side. Website (unofficial obviously) claims MIDI

Iā€™d be shocked if Eventide did anything from this point forward that did not feature MIDI prominently. Thatā€™s one of their hallmarks and theyā€™ve put a lot of effort into their MIDI/DSP integration.

1 Like

It seems to be one of the more interesting loopers in a long while to me. I already have an OT, so mono (also donā€™t care about midi personally for something like this) is not a deal breaker for me. Iā€™d just put it between my acoustic instruments/voice and the OT. This thing actually seems quite interesting with 5 presets and and 5 mod sources. @GovernorSilver thanks for sharing :wink:

1 Like

If youā€™re putting it next to the OT MIDI might actually become quite useful to you as you could sequence various parameters on it from the OT directly, including loop points, overdubs/punch-in/out, effects, etc.

2 Likes

True, it would open more possibilities. Iā€™m definitely curious about it. My first thought was ā€œcool new take on simple looping that I could then just resample into the OT, either live or studio style.ā€

edit: nevermind, I confused the various posts about USB and MIDI!

ā€¦for now, it looks just uglyā€¦and so does the sound preview in this trailerā€¦fresh and groundbreaking is a different thing to meā€¦

1 Like

not keen on the colour , and that rose graphic screams 80ā€™s guitar rock ā€¦
though i suspect if they tried to do modern graphics itā€™d be filled with hexagons and circuit board cheesy rubbish.

not interested but i doubt its aimed at me.

1 Like

It is interesting that a LOT of music tech has what many would consider ā€œuglyā€ UI design. Iā€™m not saying this thing is in any way attractive (itā€™s pretty mediocre in the looks department), but I daresay itā€™s a far cry better looking than the bulk of Akai, Roland, Berhinger, and Korg stuff. Only my opinion, of course.
As far as sound, demos for samplers/loopers are inconsequential to me (other than to demonstrate overall sound quality). I have my own sounds with instruments which Iā€™ve spent decades with to insert into devices like this.
Sure, fresh and ground breaking are different for different people. Personally, I concentrate on attempting to make my music fresh and groundbreaking. Iā€™m actually less concerned about devices being that in and of themselves. Thereā€™s enough different about this looper from the Electroharmonix, Pigtronix, and Boss stuff, to warrant a closer look for me, but to each their own :slightly_smiling_face:

What caught my interest about this pedal was David Tornā€™s positive remarks about it - or, more likely, the prototype he tested. Torn has been on a mission for several years to get manufacturers to put out looper pedals more amenable to his experimental approaches.

The demo in the OP reminds me of the Hexe Revolver, which has been one of Tornā€™s faves for a while now.

The H9 looper is a really cool implementation, especially the midi and the ability to have presetsā€“but limited to something like 12 seconds :cry:.
definitely interested

Official page is up - I think they were smart to not call it a hybrid pedal, though the magic ā€œAā€ word appears three times:

Features

• Five customizable factory presets
  • Analog Mix, Low Pass Filter, and Feedback
  • Six tactile knobs: mix, feedback, depth, delay, filter and rate
  • Invert phase flips the output phase with respect to the input phase for short delay times
  • Reverse delay plays the delay line backwards
  • Delay Multiplier increases the delay by either 2x, 3x, 4x or 5x
  • Assignable HotSwitch: Tap Tempo, Delay Repeat, Mod Hold, Mod Reset, A/B)
  • Multiple modulation sources: Sine, Square, Random, Envelope and External
  • Expression / Auxiliary / MIDI TRS input
  • Three different bypass types: Buffered, Relay, Kill Input
  • Accepts Line or Instrument Levels
  • The delay lineā€™s clock can be swept over a wide range with delay time varying from .01 usec to 50 seconds.
1 Like

I like anything that lets you multiply a delay buffer. I wonder if thatā€™s what the Ļ† button does?

Thatā€™s the symbol for phase, which is the phase invert theyā€™re talking about in the fourth bullet point.

1 Like

The demo didnā€™t really appeal to me.

Iā€™m a bit confused though is this digitally controlled analog bucket brigade chips?

Answering my own question:

"Itā€™s the culmination of five years of R&D harkening back to the 1745 DDL, the original Digital Delay Line. Rose is our first stompbox to exploit this new/old way to ā€˜doā€™ delay. There is no digital signal processing as such. Just a long, pristine, swept delay. Analog circuitry does the rest.ā€

The Rose sounds inherently different because of its unusual design. The delay is derived from a variable digital clock that can be swept over a range of ~200kHz for maximum fidelity with up to 10 seconds of delay, down to ~8kHz for 50 seconds of delay. All of Roseā€™s analog circuitry is employed for mixing, filtering and feedback.

This is an interesting look at the original DDL tech it has grown out of, with really cool old photos.

As, I noted earlier, the sound in the demo didnā€™t really appeal to me, but I think the tech is really cool, so Iā€™m interested to hear more demos. (Also, I wish it had the asthetic of the old DDL-1745, I probably would have bought one for that alone, lol).

Design by Axel Rose? SCNRā€¦:rofl:

I kinda like the designā€¦

Ambient demo:

1 Like