Erica Synths LXR-02 Desktop Digital Drum Synthesizer

I mean it doesn’t sound like the other Erica Synth boxes. It’s a visual match for the DB-01, not a sonic one.

That makes it more appealing for me, tbh. I love digital drum synths.

1 Like

I hope you enjoy it! The sound doesn’t appeal for me, but the physical construction is going to be quite nice, if the DB-01 is any indication.

I think it sounds solid. If that Erica video is audio coming straight out of the machine without any external processing then I may prefer it to MD.
Most drum synths need something else in the chain. Rytm and Jomox are a couple exceptions, there are a few others.
On the other end of the spectrum you have the Drum Brutes.

I’m so picky about synthesized hats. LXR02’s hats seem unique but not at all dull.
Similar to Digitakt, I think the drive is working wonders on many of these sounds.
But similar to Typhon, you have multiple digital drive algorithms to select from. That’s a big feature for a drum synth where you want a wide range of flavors and not a defined box of fixed tonality.

5 Likes

I love Erica Synths stuff and have their dual VCF and Black Wave table VCO as well as Polivoks filter for eurorack modular but on this one, I’d wait until I could try one out in person. For now, I am using a friend’s Rytm MK2 and considering Jomox Alphabase if I can try one of those bad boys out.

so the video seem to suggest instant pattern jump right?
(apologies if this has been discussed already)

I like drums. This box is tickling my interest strings.

2 Likes

After watching the demos I am not that hyped anymore.

1 Like

Can confirm, hats are great on the LXR. I used them on this track for the higher part of the rythm:

It’s easy to reach very high pitched sounds with it, something I fail to achieve with the M:C metal machine (I have to play with tone machine + lfo instead and it’s not as good).

4 Likes

Very nice!
Looks like the perfect compromise between tweak- and portability.
I’d be considering it if I didn’t have three great sounding drum machines/synths already…

That is good news indeed :+1:

So…the 02 is synthesis only, no sample loading?

1 Like

Here’s the manual https://www.ericasynths.lv/media/LXR_manual_EM3ZTG5.pdf

Does look like they got rid of sample loading.

1 Like

Page 32 Mentions sample mode ( short transients ) same as lxr1 I think

Oh yeah there is a mention of samples. Seems different than the Lxr-01 section on samples tho LXR Owners Manual - Sonic Potions Wiki

Somebody with both machines feel free to chime in :sweat_smile:

I seem to remember that this sample loading was added in the original OS as an experimental feature. Erica most likely left it out as the samples need to have specific parameters, 16 bit mono wav, no larger than 460kb. Leaving it out limits the liablility of how the thing functions. AKA less support headaches. I have a feeling they’ll include it later.

1 Like

So with trigger outs and sample playback + potential features from the LXR-02, the OG LXR doesn’t look so bad actually.

1 Like

I never had trigger outs and the sample playback looks to be the same as lxr, it’s quite limited .
But as more vids come out perhaps it’ll be clearer.

Between the 2 I’d go lxr2

1 Like

I could have been pushed over the edge to pre-order had the FX implementation been different.
Ring mod, or tube/fold/clip drive, or compressor, or delay. But I want at least two of those at the same time, and often three at the same time.

Plus the compressor only goes up to 8:1 :thinking: The devil is in the details, as always.

So I’ll stick to LXR sample chains in the OT.

But I’m sure a lot of other folks would get some good use out of this box. The price is certainly appealing.

3 Likes

The OG LXR could load 16 bit mono wav samples from the card, 490kb in total if I’m not mistaken.

LXR02 only has a list of ROM samples for transients.

20210706_190229

Maybe I missed smt?

To be fair, messing with the samples on the 01 is a nightmare for me. I think the biggest pro of the 01, from what i can tell thus far, is having the brendan clarke firmware loaded up.

1 Like