Env dep...?

if there wasn’t a env dep at the filter page how would a hand do what it does?

say you set it to +15… then what would my hands do to get the same result?

say you set it to - 60… what would my hands turn on whatever knob to get the same result?

you’d have to twist the filter frequency at the same rate up/down that the envelope plays through - so for slow filter sweep type envelopes this would be doable, but you’ll not do it for snappy envelopes

so it’s hitting when a trig is hit?

so what about my numbers as an example?

let’s make the adsr. 0 64 28 0

Mmm…you can obviously mimic the time of the different stages of the envelope by hand, applied to the filter cutoff, but can’t see how you can alter the actual depth of the env applied to the filter without tweaking an actual depth parameter or value?
If that is what I think you are asking :thinking:

Maybe picture a fader instead of a knob, you’ll have a better view on this : you’d only have to draw the shape with the fader as a pencil and time as a sheet moving from right to left.
You would draw the ADSR envelope, and env depth would be the vertical scale of your drawing.

Idiot. Env depth is then just how much the filter sweeps over the env time, either positive or negative eg +15 small amount positive, -60 large amount negative direction
Face slap

2 Likes

those define the envelope profile - by starting with attack zero you make it impossible to mimic

the depth values would define how much you’d twist - if it was a real potentiometer it’d be more controllable, but what you’re wanting to do is tricky in most cases, you could fake it in a few simple cases -

-ve depths just require twisting anti-clockwise from a given start point

Go to a dimmer in your house. In the span of 2 seconds turn the light from 0 to max and back. This is the 100% of env dep applied. Now do the same but going up to 50% of the dimmer. This is the env dep applied to 50%. The envelope in this case is a simplified ASR(?).

1 Like

hmmmm
so the adsr would not have any effect if the env depth is set to zero?

so that’s + 50 and + 100

how about - 16

and - 64

?
thanks

then let’s make the adsr 12 60 12 0

ok?

-16 would be placing the curtain on the window

what?

:baby:

lol

that’s a joke?

either way I don’t get it

neither as a joke nor as a way to implement

are you serious?

no right?

what?

:thinking:

Not very sure (I am at work to check), but I think it applies the % of the env dep, but inversed. -100% would make the mentioned envelope max->0->max I think…

Negative envelope just has the effect of turning the cutoff knob negative (or anticlockwise) in the time taken by the envelope, from a nominated start filter cutoff position.
The larger the env depth e.g. -60 the more the cutoff knob travels over the envelope time

2 Likes

Sorry, bad joke.

0-10 green is the negative env dep

2 Likes

Indeed. If we’re talking about filter env, then when depth = 0 the filter frequency would stay at rest in a constant position, not necessarily min nor max btw.

t = 0 ms : filter is open at frequency F -> blue line on above scheme
t + Attack time : filter is open at frequency F + Depth (possibly negative) -> red line
t + Attack time + Decay time : filter is open at frequency F + Depth * (Sustain / max Sustain)
after release : filter is open at frequency F again.

If your synth has a midi in and a CC for the cutoff frequency, you could build some kind of automation.