Empress Zoia // Euroburo

That is f*****g awesome, @mr_bernard. So you’re using frequencies to control the loop start position? This is right up my alley… I’d be really interested to see how you put the patch together if you’d be happy to share?

1 Like

Thanks a ton!
You bet! Super simple, actually:

Audio Input goes parallel to output and looper module and separately to the following:

• Highpass Filter > Envelope Follower >Loop Length modulation

• Lowpass Filter > Envelope Follower >Loop Start point modulation

The rest of the explanation is in my instagram post:
Left switch - momentary loop capture
Mid switch - latch loop reverse
Right switch - restart loop

5 Likes

Thank you! That’s really helpful. It’s great to see some unique looper effects coming up from the ZOIA; it’s pretty much why I bought it.

Gonna go have a play!

1 Like

Very short and low quality snippet of my first noise…

3 Likes

Good lord, this pedal is complicated…!

1 Like

Man, that’s some creative patching

3 Likes

You can set the BigSky to have ‘tails’ or not; same with the TimeLine. Most of my digital delay pedals have it as standard, too (the Boss DD range does, at least). For something like a reverb pedal, it’s a must for me (one of the reasons why the BigSky has never left my board… ever!)

3 Likes

Seems to be standard in time-based FX pedals these days. I’ve looked at the ones by EQD (Dispatch Master, Avalanche Run, etc.), Walrus Audio, Keeley, Meris, etc. I’m not saying all of the above have “preserve tails”/spillover support - the ones w/o presets don’t apply to the discussion for example - but it seemed like the majority do.

:wave:

I know this isn’t a ZOIA help forum, but… You don’t know how to clear a looper buffer without recording over it, do you? There’s a whole bunch of stuff (like resetting a looper to 100% play speed!) that is outside my thought-processing-zone right now :joy:

I haven’t thought about it, but I would think: a VCA ahead of the looper, and use two stomp switches. One, assigned to the rec/play of the looper, the other as a momentary assigned to the rec/play of the looper AND to a CV inverter that slams shut the VCA. This would kill your signal to the looper and “record” nothing, clearing it out. very important that this is momentary. That’s just what I’d say off the cuff… I’d have to mess with it later to get you a more “certain answer.”

Edit: you’re more than welcome to PM me. I love nerding out about problem-solving.

3 Likes

You know I’m gonna do that! I’ll holler when my brain’s a little more awake.

1 Like

Spent last few days in Zoia land (if not playing with it, thinking about what I want to do next with it, and how.) It’s the pedal / effects processor / modular undefined THING of my dreams. It’ll go in every Eurorack patch I make for the foreseeable future. Amazing, game changer. It’s finally the proper spiritual successor to the Nord Modular, cuter, more accessible (i LOVE that I can do everything including patching outside of a computer, turns out), with usable world-class effects and a brilliant UX. Hype is legit. (Oh, and I love watching the pulsating light show once my patch is finished and I’m zoning out to it.)

5 Likes

Patchstorage already added a ZOIA Archive.

https://patchstorage.com/platform/zoia/

I was gonna buy an Organelle. But, no I’m starting to ask myself if ZOIA is interesting enough to compete for the spot.

What are your thoughts on this?

Got an Organelle a year ago, but it’s too heavy on the menus IMO.
In the end you only have 4 pots and one menu switch. I sent it back.

With the ZOIA, you can choose to have a “page” dedicated to UI and use every pad as a way to change the sound.

Now ZOIA is more of an FX (although it can do synth) while Organelle has a keyboard.
Depends what you’re looking for.

I know I’ll have a ZOIA in my life at some point ^^

1 Like

Yesss, thanks that cuts to the point. I’d use it rather as a synth, than for processing audio generated elsewhere. Zoia is marketed as jacked up effects padel rather than a portable modular synth groovebox thing, which I get. Empress is a pedal company and it’s smart to position the product as a big fish in a small pond rather than the other way round. It got the flexibility I guess, but I’m not sure how well it’d sound using the builtin sound sources.

Your remark regarding Organelle is equally interesting. The tiny screen and the 4 pots interface, how much do they impede you from getting out of it what you want on say a scale of 1-10. (;

I guess what I’m looking for is hybrid between Organelle & Deluge …and a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Thomann has begun shipping ZOIAs in Europe, should have mine in a week or so. Can’t wait, the community around this is already putting out amazing stuff.

But these are single FX units as opposed to multi. I imagine it’s much easier then to implement it (for example the H9 doesn’t nor do I think those sweet Zooms do) but considering that it’s become pretty common, maybe that’ll push Empress’ hand.

Great write up. Thank you. I would very much like to see a comparison bt nord and Zoia. Not that it would affect my excitement for Zoia in any way.

Yah this looks sick in videos.

Yeah I think modular fx unit as opposed to modular synth is important to keep in mind for buyers going in. Where Empress is going to prioritize future work.

Better off than me: won’t have mine until late June. :frowning: which is why I appreciate all these posts!

@mr_bernard any tips on printing this Google doc of modules? I’m having a helluva time getting it to fit.

Steve confirmed on FB CPU optimization coming

1 Like

Didn’t realize you were talking about multi FX boxes only. I haven’t encountered one with spillover or the equivalent of it either.

1 Like

“Now ZOIA is more of an FX (although it can do synth) while Organelle has a keyboard.
Depends what you’re looking for.”

Zoia has a keyboard too :] you can turn all the blocks into keys of any note you want!

1 Like

@Brockstar I just wanted to emphasize that ZOIA is more conceived as an FX stompbox that does it all, whereas Organelle (that can also do crazy FX as well btw) is more conceived as a synth…

1 Like