Empress Zoia // Euroburo

Zoia over Organelle for me. Could never really get on w/ Pure Data or other modular softsynths on desktop, kind of do ok on IOS devices.

Cuckoo seems fairly focused on using Zoia as a compact synth, based on his vids. But he seems to have a particular taste in synth tones.

Don’t hate, but I have a 27" iMac on my studio desk, so it’s nice and in my face when I’m tinkering with Zoia.

Just my opinion. I think this product has really too many ideas, on a very limiting form factor. Is it a stombox or a tabletop unit? I don’t understand it… so complicated, and the lists, clicky encoder and foot switches annoy me a little…With 550 Rothschild’s paper you can express yourself with products that have better interfaces for fluent creations.

1 Like

Using a computer while working the Zoia?? Blasphemy! :slight_smile:

Since you’re using an ā€œactualā€ instrument maybe you know the answer to this: if I went to send the zoia signal out to a for example instrument level distortion pedal do I need to reamp the out and DI the in? I can’t imagine I would but I don’t want to presume anything.

The encoder doesn’t seem nearly as clicky to me as I thought it was going to be from the videos (esp cuckoo’s).

Personally, I think it’s as complicated as you want it to be, or it can be straight forward. As the community grows the user-made patches are going to be enough for many people. I will say, this is not for everyone, nor does it have to be.

1 Like

I thought was the name of a device I hadn’t heard of, :smile:

Out of curiosity: which devices are you thinking of that are ā€œbetterā€?

1 Like

Not in my experience. It behaves like a regular pedal in that regard. In my videos (though they aren’t on for the demo), the Zoia is after my H9 and before my Avalanche Run.

What do you want to do with it? :joy:

That brings up a related question - is the process of setting the input (gain) and output level as straightforward as other patching operations on the Zoia, as depicted in videos by Cuckoo and others?

I think the default input gain is -6dB. I haven’t touched it, but you can adjust it in the settings (shift and bottom right pad). Output, I manage through whatever the connection is before the audio out module, or in between modules if there’s any kind of overload. You can also put a VCA anywhere you’d like if you need more control.

1 Like

Output gain is easy. When you’re creating an audio out module, there’s an option for gain control or not. By default it’s off. I’ll have it on pretty much always - if anything, it’s the quickest way to a volume knob.

3 Likes

Ha! Right. forgot about that option.

I have an Organelle and a Zoia. It’s hard / unfair to compare something that’s had years to gestate with something that’s still shipping out to early adopters. BUT, I already see myself using the Zoia far more than the Organelle. I came to grips that I just won’t learn PureData - no time, baby, not instantly gratifying. Orac fixes some of this, but with limited control. I’m not building something from scratch, I’m just connecting a Braids module to a sequencer. Zoia is instant - amazing how quickly I can build something complex - and to my ears, it sounds better than anything else out there - DSP and synth engine sounds better than Nord Modular, which was my criteria before I made the bold statement that it improves on the NM :slight_smile:

My first patch was a crazy insect chattering unruly, unstable thing with 3 oscillators and wildly modulated effects. That was before I really knew what I was doing. Not bad for a ā€œhello worldā€!

4 Likes

Also, I made a keyboard page for it, with each key triggering something completely different within the patch. With that kind of flexibility, I’m not concerned about Zoia not being synth enough.

I’m curious about the sequencer. Need to see if I can program per-step probability, etc. If so, then the sequencer can be Elektron-ish.

I’m really surprised by the synth examples i’m hearing. I have both Nord Modular but im gasing for the Zoia. I think the big difference between the Zoia and something like the Organel is the building block algos. I assume the modules offered by Empress are top quality.

2 Likes

Is there anything Zoia can do different or better than an effects rack in Ableton? I get the desirability of hardware, though trying to figure out if this is a waste of money for me, since all my instruments already run through my DAW (Ableton is essentially my FX box/mixer).

Anything!

Better for chiptune sounds, or better in general :grinning:

Sorry, I’m thinking of our man cuckoo and his propensity for video game tones - love ya cuckoo!

1 Like

Cuckoo is the absolute best at tutorials but his music tastes aren’t my cup of tea all the time! Don’t assume you can only sound like Cuckoo. Nothing I’ve made has been chiptuney yet, just unabashedly experimental. Insect chatter from Mars, turned a tame Mother-32 sequence into blown out harsh noise, etc.

1 Like