Elmyra - a DIY drone synthesizer inspired by the Lyra-8

New promo. :slight_smile:

Elmyras are now in stock at Perfect Circuit! The black version is even on sale, so get them while they’re hot.

5 Likes

Elmyra goes really well with this pedal. :slight_smile:

Also, kits are now finally available at a US retailer (SynthCube): https://synthcube.com/cart/makers/neutral-labs

Other purchase options are listed on the site: https://neutral-labs.com/elmyra

6 Likes

Just ordered the kit from Thonk. Can’t wait! I’d been eyeing the Lyra for a long time, but thought it was too big, way too expensive and generally overkill for what I wanted it to do – I don’t really need eight voices of drones. This seems pretty much perfect for my needs. I only wish it had a sync input for the sequencer.

2 Likes

Right, Thonk has them in stock now too: https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/elmyra/

@teknokarhu Enjoy your build and let me know if you have any questions. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How easy would it be to add sync input as a DIY hack, do you think? It’d probably require writing a piece of code that interprets sync pulse inputs as advancing the sequencer (instead of the tempo being controlled by voltage set by the potentiometer). So it’d be a matter of some programming and adding an input with a switch?

I’m happy to use it just as an unsynced drone machine, too, just wondering in case I’ll have the courage to start modding.

As I wrote on the Youtubes:

It’s not trivial, otherwise I would have included it already. :wink: There are no more free IO ports on the MCU. So you’d either need to sacrifice some functionality (1 pot or switch) or use a multiplexer like the 74HC595. The code will also have to be adapted. You’d have to add the code for the sync itself (which is not too hard) and if you’re using the multiplexer, rewrite some of the IO code to access it.

So just updating the code to read a sync signal is the easy part… :wink: I’m happy to help if you end up doing it and I might even do it myself one day, but right now I don’t have any plans to do so.

2 Likes

Ah OK. I suppose I misunderstood the way the Time knob is used in sequencer mode. It’s of course controling the delay time even then, and only controlling the tempo by setting note length values when writing the sequencer. Otherwise that would have been the obvious feature to discard during sync input.

It’s not quite like that. The time knob sets the delay time per step while the sequencer is in recording mode. In playback mode, it’s indeed used to change the tempo. There are no note lengths in the sequencer: It only changes the pitch (and delay time) per step. You still need to trigger the voices yourself by using the pads or putting them in drone mode. This allows for a lot of flexibility and interesting patterns. Like you could record a sequence for all 3 voices, then when playing back, put only one of them in drone mode and alternate triggering the other 2 one by one.

The question of discarding one knob or switch input is not so much about when you might not need its functionality (e.g. during sequencer playback), but rather a hardware one. You cannot simply feed both the sync input and time knob input into the microcontroller on the same IO port and discard the one you don’t need. You’d need 2 IO ports for that, and there are no free ones. So you either need a multiplexer chip, or sacrifice some other functionality permanently.

Well, okay, that’s not 100% correct either. You could forego the multiplexer and install an additional switch that lets you select between sync input and time knob manually. Then you’d only need a way to tell the microcontroller which kind of information is currently being received on this IO port. So, again, you’d need another free port to tell it that. :wink: Or you could implement some kind of heuristic that decides whether it’s a knob being turned or a sync signal. Which should be fairly easy, but it all seems a bit hackish.

3 Likes

Yep, the switch is what I was thinking of (a switching jack) that just chooses between the two inputs. If a sequence is playing, it interprets inputs as sync pulses, and if a sequence is not playing, it’d work as per usual. No need for extra ports that way. This would, of course, break the normal unsynced sequencer operation.

It does seem like a very dirty solution so I’m probably going to leave it as-is, but thanks for taking the time to explain and answer my questions anyway. :slight_smile: A better idea might be to build a new sequencer mode where a pad press or switch advances the sequencer manually. Or to implement a tap tempo functionality! :joy:

The way the sequencer operates is indeed very cool! I look forward to exploring it soon; the Thonk order despatched today.

Oh this looks nice !!

They call it Elmyra 2, but it goes quite a lot further. Semi-modular Eurorack. Lots of ways to use this, it would fit into all sorts of set-ups.

Choice of kit, or ready made.

10 Likes

Thanks!

And yes, it is very nice. Me being unable to stop playing with the prototypes was why development took so long. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Looking forward to hearing some audio or seeing some video. Instagram won’t let me look!

1 Like

I’ll be uploading some demo videos before the launch (July 20).

If you don’t have an Instagram account, you can still see my content here.

3 Likes

Thanks, yes, that works for me.

1 Like

I saw the teaser the other day.
The really pushed it way further than the V1, looks great.
I was about to get the forge-tme Vhikk X when available in EU but this one might be the ticket.
Looking forward to hearing more.

1 Like

Damn, this is insane. Can’t wait to hear demos!

1 Like

1 Like

https://neutral-labs.com/elmyra2

You can find the manual down the page. It’s worth reading it. Most of the functions are labeled but some advance feature are a few button combo away. Everything seems to be quite comprehensive

3 Likes

Yes, and because it may be a lot to take in at once, I’ll add a cheat sheet as well that gives a quick illustrated overview over the most important functions.

3 Likes

Kudos for the last item under Troubleshooting in the manual!

1 Like