Elmyra - a DIY drone synthesizer inspired by the Lyra-8

I got a similar complaint for Elmyra 1 once, so it needed to be said. :wink:

2 Likes

42 HPā€¦ kinda tempting. Gotta hear some sound demos. Sucks that they seem to be focusing on walled garden instagram.

Edit: never mind looks like the stuff is posted above, probably should read the thread before commenting šŸ«£.

Edit edit: actually Iā€™m still having trouble watching videos except for one.

@OldmanChompski For the record, Iā€™m no fan of Instagram at all, but it does work well for updates and such, I see it as a kind of necessary evil. :wink:

So youā€™re having trouble viewing the videos on Picuki? Do you get an error message? They all work fine for me.

Also, demo video will be up on Youtube, probably later today. Iā€™ll post here.

This looks cool and Iā€™m glad to see that it has the same system as the Scrat with the chips - itā€™s actually one of my favourite eurorack filters itā€™s got a lot of character!

Will Thonk be getting the kits @nyppy ?

1 Like

Yeah itā€™ll show a media bar for a second and then just switches to a play button with a cross through it. The one that I see that works is this one:

But any idea of what the cost for the DIY Eurorack module is going to be? I have exactly a 42hp gap in my secondary rack that could be filled lol.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad to see that it has the same system as the Scrat with the chips - itā€™s actually one of my favourite eurorack filters itā€™s got a lot of character!

@natehorn Yeah, Scrat is all characterā€¦ :smiley:

Will Thonk be getting the kits @nyppy ?

Yup, available at launch on July 20.

Yeah itā€™ll show a media bar for a second and then just switches to a play button with a cross through it.

@OldmanChompski Thatā€™s strange, maybe your browser doesnā€™t like it. Could you try a different one?

But any idea of what the cost for the DIY Eurorack module is going to be?

I only know what I charge to the retailers, and it depends on local taxes and such, but should be between 300 ā‚¬ and 400 ā‚¬, with the Eurorack version about 50 ā‚¬ less than the desktop one.

2 Likes

Iā€™m on an iPhone with safari. I think all the browsers on iOS are built on safari. But yeah, Iā€™ll try on my computer if I remember. Obviously itā€™s not a big deal lol.

1 Like

@OldmanChompski That could explain it. I think Picuki uses a few tricks to display the videos directly from the IG CDN, and this may not work on mobile.

Watched some videos of the original Elmyraā€¦ this definitely has me intrigued and seems right up my alley.

Lofi reverb and delay with analog distortion? Yes please.

1 Like

If you like the original, you will love this one. :wink:

Cheat sheet and build guide are now online.

And the first demo video is up as well:

11 Likes

Thank you for clearly indicating which snippets are the machine alone and which have external effects added! I wish all demos did this.

3 Likes

Yeahhhhhā€¦. This thing was made for me. Iā€™m gonna wanna pick up this DIY kit Iā€™ve been itching to do a larger project with my soldering iron.

1 Like

This looks great, particularly as an addition to my Make Noise semimodular setup. Iā€™ve been on the lookout for interesting and flavorful semimodulars since I have standard monosynth stuff covered. Thereā€™s a really organic feel you get when you heavily cross patch a few different devices.

A couple of questions:

• Will USB C phone chargers work ok for power? I seem to have a few spares around here.

• What kind of delay is in it?

• Will it be available from Perfect Circuit like the Neutral Labs modules?

1 Like

It really likes to be paired with the 0-Coast, I can attest to that. :smiley:

USB-C chargers will work if they have a USB-A to USB-C cable. They wonā€™t work if they have a USB-C to USB-C cable. There is a USB-A to USB-C cable supplied with Elmyra 2, and if you only have USB chargers with a USB-C socket, you could plug one of those small USB-C to USB-A adapters in between the charger and the cable. (This is because the device just wants to draw power, it doesnā€™t do the USB-C negotiation stuff.)

The delay is a digital one. There is an LPF in the feedback loop that gets slightly adjusted with the feedback setting. The feedback can go extremely high to the point of choking out the sound. It can be very rewarding to kind of ā€œplayā€ the delay feedback going back and forth close to the point of choking.

Perfect Circuit wonā€™t have it in stock for the launch, but possibly later. Those are the stores confirmed for the launch:

Signal Sounds (UK ā€“ fast international shipping)
Gear4Music (UK)
Nightlife Electronics (Canada)
Noisebug (USA)
Rubadub (UK)
Detroit Modular (USA)
Escape from Noise (Sweden)

And for the DIY kits, itā€™ll be Thonk and Exploding Shed at launch, with more to follow later.

5 Likes

Beautiful work again. Also love the color scheme.
Questions-
Is the DIY kit through hole, or is there some SMD?
Can the envelopes get to snappy/drum range? Saw the onboard sequencer, and for a second thought it was an adaption of the Pulsar.
Is their any possibility for ā€œuser presetā€ cards to exist and easily be created?
Again, really nice work here, and is a really lovely machine that I no doubt will be very well received.

2 Likes

Thanks!

The DIY kit is only through hole, all (several hundred) SMD components are presoldered. The build guide is already available for download, you can see all the details in there. Itā€™s basically just pots, sockets and LEDs.

No, the envelopes do not get snappy. Their attack is always shorter than the decay though, so you can get bass sounds out of them, but theyā€™re not suitable for drum-like sounds. The sequencer also does not output gates, just pitch (like that of the old Elmyra), as this is primarily a drone/experimental machine. What I like to do for fun though is to sync LFO2 to the clock while the sequencer is running, and have it modulate an LPF. There is a waveform with a very short attack and exponential decay on that LFO, so you can kind of cheat and get a typical bassline going. But if this is your primary goal, there are hundreds of synths out there that are better suited to that kind of thing. :wink:

Yes, users have already created their own preset cards for my modules Nijel (distortion) and Scrat (VCF) on stripboard, and those could also be used for Elmyra. Itā€™s really quite simple. The types of connections used are outlined in the manual.

5 Likes

Thanks a bunch for the detailed reply.

1 Like

Just picked up the DIY from thonk, super excited! Iā€™ve always wanted a Lyra until I found the Elmyra.

1 Like
1 Like