Elk-Herd 3.0

DT 1.20 with ElkHerd alpha works AOK Rearranging :smiley:
https://electric.kitchen/crunch/elk-herd/
Beers incoming @mzero
look forward to updating and using beta soon :cowboy_hat_face:

I was about to post about my troubles, but I finally found the link to the beta and got project fetching working.

One thing I was hoping this would have is the ability to swap tracks with each other, but it looks like thatā€™s not there yet? For example, I have a bunch of patterns in this one project, but for each pattern, the hi-hat isnā€™t necessarily always on the same track, nor is the bass.

@mzero (hi Mark!) have you managed to figure out the sysex or project format enough to determine if such a thing would be easy? Alternatively, has anyone managed to reverse engineer the .dtprj binary format? I see the string ā€œmanifest.jsonā€ a few times in thereā€¦

2 Likes

The dtprj file is just a zip file with a different extension.

Inside the zip youā€™ll find the manifest.json you saw, the custom samples (factory samples are not included) and the project itself. That project file is what the reverse engineering efforts must be put on.

BTW, dtsnd files have exactly the same structure.

Amazing work! Thank you :heart:

Gotcha, I just renamed a project to .zip to check that out, and completely agree. That internal project binary seems to be the relevant one for questioning ā€“ I see some text strings which appear to be pattern namesā€¦ It would be interesting to figure out what the pattern delimiters are, and how this stuff is all stored.

In the meantime, I think I solved my core problem of re-arranging tracks just by using a new bank to copy existing patterns to the top row, and us a duplicate of the pattern in the bottom row to copy/paste tracks and track sounds to move them where I want them to be. Itā€™s cumbersome, but it does work

Hey gang.

Any issues with ELK-HERD Version 3.0.2b and Digitakt latest OS 1.30 I should be aware of? or are we golden :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bought you a well deserved beer! :beers:
Beta working fine for me on Digitakt 1.30. Great bit of software :+1:

@mzero You are great! ā€œBuy me a beerā€ button should be a big banner.

Iā€™m experiencing freeze while trying to fletch any project. It works at first but since I sent a project it never fletches anymore.

Many thanks!

Ahaha wanted to give a try after seeing a screenshot but i just upraded the DN yesterdayā€¦

Is the project still on development @mzero?

@mzero Hi!
Fetching project stopped working some days ago!
Digitakt 1.30. The device is detected.
+Drive samples are visible and sending functions works too.
Tried all combinations of usb and midi settings. Nothing helps.
I donā€™t understand what happened?

For those of you having trouble fetching projects, are you using the beta link? crunch/elk-herd (electric.kitchen)

Confirmed working for me with 1.30B firmware on my DT and version 3.0.2b of Elk-Herd.

1 Like

I had been getting a bunch of ā€œkernel: ALSA: seq_midi: MIDI output buffer overrunā€ errors while transferring a lot of samples to the digitakt.

The following solved my problems:

Increasing the output buffer:
echo "65536" > /sys/module/snd_seq_midi/parameters/output_buffer_size
(Make sure you reconnect the device afterwards.

Using the beta version of elk-herd (I have not tried the non-beta after changing the midi buffer)

And adding ?slow after the elk-herd URL.

Some combination of these helped alleviate my problems and I hope this might be helpful to someone else!

Communication Failed

The instrument did not respond after trying a few times. If you have directories with many samples (>100) try adding ā€œ?slowā€ to the end of the URL in the address bar and reloading this app. This will make the application wait longer for your instrument to respond.
i got this message when i try to send a sample?
edit: with adding ā€œ?slowā€ i got:

Transfer failed:

Instrument returned error.

Is there any update planned to fit the OS 1.32 on the DN?

i succeed to send samples after many try but donā€™t know why :sweat_smile:

I similarly had this problem the yesterday. The +drive was visible and I could see all my samples but when I went to the projects tab and hit ā€œfetch projectā€ it just would freeze up and never respond. Eventually I just closed the window. Iā€™ve got the most updated version of the DT OS. Thanks @mzero for creating this awesome tool I use it all the time!!!

yeah thanks by the way :wink:

Hey guys! First of all, thank you very much @mzero for creating Elk Herd.
Iā€™m experiencing some trouble moving patterns from project to project but it might be because I donā€™t know how to use Elk Herd well.

Iā€™m trying to put different patterns from different projects in one project that will be the one to use in a live set.

What I do is go to Project A in the DT, then Fetch in Elk Herd.
Then I open Project B (the ā€œlive setā€ one) in DT, and send the patterns from Project A fetched previously.
The thing is that I can paste patterns in Project B but just in Bank A.
When I try to, letā€™s say, open Project C in DT, then fetch and try to paste it in Bank B of Project B, the Bank A gets deleted.

Question is: does anybody know how to properly paste patterns in Bank B or someone is experiencing the same trouble as me? Maybe Iā€™m using Elk Herd wrong.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Worked after inserting /beta to the link.

Hi there, I am having trouble fetching Digitakt projects. Loading up samples works just fine. But as soon as I hit ā€žfetch projectā€œ, there is no progress whatsoever

I have set DT project settings to ā€žOutput to Midi+USBā€œ. I have also disconnected all midi cables from DT and shut down Overbridge and Transfer. DT is connected via USB to my Mac, elk herd is running in Chrome. I have also disconnected my audio interface and shut down Ableton to avoid errors.

My DT is on OS 1.30

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

Try to go into System ==> USB Config menu and change from Overbridge info Midi or Midi + Audio.
It works for me without issues.
Cheers

1 Like