Elk-herd 3.0 public alpha

Would love to see this kind of app for the Analog Rhythm as well :grinning:

3 Likes

Brilliant for managing my project/samples/sounds.
Works flawlessly for what I needed.
Thank you so much :slight_smile: @mzero

1 Like

Good work man!
Make this for rytm pretty please :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Tromendous work!

1 Like

any plans on making this an app (with elektron / Webview like Spotify etc.)? It would feel more “native” imho

1 Like

My current thinking is to provide a “stand alone” web page version. This is a zip file you download, and then open locally in your browser. It is totally self-contained and can run on a computer with no network access. Of course, you still need Chrome.

I have built and run the code under Elektron and it indeed works… but:

• Without significant work, it is not any different than what you get in the browser version. It would take effort use the native menu system, native drag-n-drop, native alerts and notifications, native document model, etc… And these need to be tweaked for OS X vs. Windows vs. Linux. All that work gets you no additional functionality, just “nativeness”.
  • The build process literally downloads Chrome and bundles it up inside the app. This makes the elk-herd app huge… and gives you second copy of Chrome that you can’t use for anything else and doesn’t get updated until I do it.
  • I’d have to build for every platform (Mac OS X, Windows, Linux x86 & ARM), and run through each ecosystem’s bundling process (and code signing process). While this is somewhat automated - it still requires a large amount of developer effort, not to mention time to test on different platforms.

Let me know if there is a use case that the “stand alone” web page version doesn’t support, and I’ll see if there is a way!

8 Likes

If you never use the Sound Pool in your projects, you can skip this message.

I just found a a bug in Digitakt OS 1.11, that can cause you to lose a project’s sound pool. Here are steps to recreate, and what to do to avoid the problem:

Restored sound pool lost on power cycle

1. Load up a project that uses the sound pool. It should have at least one pattern with a track that has sound plocks to one or more sounds in the project’s sound pool.

2. Dump this project to your computer. Either:
    a) use elk-herd to Fetch Project, and then Save File,
    b) or use DT’s SysEx Dump menu, and capture the SysEx in your favorite SysEx librarian.

3. Load up a project that has no sound pool. The PRESETS project will do fine.

4. Send the project you saved in step 2. back to the DT. Either:
    a) use elk-herd to Open File (if needed) and then Send Project
    b) or, use DT’s SysEx Dump menu, and send the SysEx back from your computer

• At this point, the pattern with the sound plocks will play correctly, and the sound pool will have been restored.
  1. Power the DT off. Then power the DT on.
  • A this point, the pattern will still be there, and the sound plocks will be there, but the sound pool will be empty, so they won’t sound.

Work Around

After step 4, immediately:

4.1. Use the Settings > Project menu on the DT to save the project (either Save Project As, or in Manage Projects pick a slot and the Save To in the right menu.)

4.2 Use the Settings > Project > Load Project to immediately reload the project you just saved.

Now power cycle will not cause you to lose the project’s sound pool.

5 Likes

Any idea when the beta might be released? Really keen on some of those new features, especially being able to consolidate projects.

1 Like

Just tried elk-herd out for the first time, works great!
Thanks a lot!
Now I´m gonna buy you a german beer…

1 Like

Most of the beta code is written, but I’ve got a live show next weekend, so this week is a bit tight with rehearsals.

I’m aiming for the weekend after.

4 Likes

For most softwares I use to programm dsp in installations it is
“receive from device (digitakt)” <-
And
“write to device (digitakt)” - >
I think that would clear things out.

3 Likes

anyone else only seeing their +Drive but not their projects (patterns, sample pool, sound pool)?

1 Like

Things to check:

1. You are running the alpha of elk-herd: https://electric.kitchen/crunch/elk-herd/alpha/
  2. Your Digitakt OS is at least 1.08
  3. After you see the +Drive, you pick the [Projects] button that is in the top left (under the elk iamge).
1 Like

hey, @mzero thanks for the reply. I am doing all of those things, see the screenshots attached…
:thinking:

FYI: same result whether I’m in USB MIDI or Overbridge

Ah!

Unlike the +Drive Samples side, Projects aren’t a direct view of the instrument. It is more like a document model: You need to use [Fetch Project] to get the current Digitakt project from the instrument into elk-herd. Of, if you’ve previously saved sysex dump, you can use [Open File] to load it.

And, when you’re done and have your project the way you want, you must [SendProject] to send it back to the Digitakt; and/or [Save File] to save a sysex file locally.

1 Like

Ah OK! Thanks. So I’m just fetching the currently open project rather than getting a global ‘all projects view’ in elk herd?

Yes. The Digitakt protocol currently only allows for sending and receiving the current loaded project (see the System > Sysex Dump menu on the unit). And, unlike the protocol for the +Drive, I don’t have the ability to change the project on the Digitakt as you make the changes in elk-herd. Hence, the document like model.

2 Likes

Admins: can you close this topic, please?.. the beta is now out!

4 Likes