Elk-herd 3.0 beta: Project Import at last!

Yes, I believe it should work as the +Drive for samples is the same architecture as both the Digitakt and the Analog Rytm. I don’t have a M:S, so can’t confirm.

1 Like

Hi MZ—quick question about how Elk-herd loads & saves projects.

Elk-herd seems to LOAD projects as they exists in the “temp” memory, not the saved version of the project. I like this because it means that I don’t have to save the project before editing it in elk-herd.

Should I also assume that when it SENDS data back to the DT, it’s also loading it to the “temp” RAM area, and not the saved version of the project in storage?

In other words, if you make a change you don’t like, can you still reload the pattern from the saved version of the project?

Also I’d like to second DaveMech’s request for a “copy & paste pattern” option or a way to set a default blank pattern option for favorite kits if that’s possible.

Thanks!
KD

I’ve just tried to connect my Rytm mk2 with no luck it says not compatible.
Is there any plans for a Rytm compatable version?

Yes, elk-herd only has access to the loaded version of a project, whether transferring from, or to. the instrument. If you send to the DT, and decide you don’t like what you did, you can just reload from the +Drive.

Warning: if you load project “A” from the +Drive, then later use elk-herd to transfer a totally different project “B” from you computer to the DT… the DT still thinks that the loaded project is “A”, and has no idea where on +Drive “B” may have come from. If at this point you use the Save Project shortcut, you’ll overwrite “A” on the +Drive.

A good habit to get into is to only use the Settings > Project menu when working with elk-herd, since that will make it explicit where you save to.

4 Likes

The sample transfer should work. I’ll double check later today. Project management is for Digitakt only. Support for project management on other instruments may happen in the future.

2 Likes

Hey thanks for the reply, I got it to work by running it in “?slow” mode
think because my library is nearly full.

1 Like

To spread the word and support the cause, I created this tutorial / review of Elk Herd. Thanks again @mzero for your efforts and I hope this will give a little boost to the amount of usage.

14 Likes

@mzero - project import works sooo well. Truly a game changer. Thank you!!

2 Likes

Thanks for your video, helped me understand this. Is elk herd easier for sample import than Transfer?

elk-herd 3.0 is now released: Elk-Herd 3.0

Admins: can you please close this topic?

3 Likes