Elk-herd 3.0 beta: Project Import at last!

wonderful, superb, magnifique!
our little digitakt world is such an even better place with you in it!
great clean design and workflow.

• thanks mzero.
4 Likes

Absolutely! When you are picking things to import, the header of each section (patterns, sample pool, sound pool) tells you how many things will be moved.

If there isnā€™t enough space, it will tell you there, the header title will go red, and import button will be disabled. Youā€™ll need to deselect some stuff to proceed.

9 Likes

any advances or workarounds about the Linux problems? I feel like the kid without candies seeing all the kids happy with theirsā€¦ :-/

1 Like

Excellent work on the sample usage detection ! Will it track sample p-locks ?

1 Like

This is truly brilliant, amazing work!

(btw, just out of interest, is there a way of using this offline either now or in the future? That might be a stupid questionā€¦ just aware from all the old crap I use that any web link might become extinct one day, and this seems way too important for that!

I just spent a long time transferring projects around without thisā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

Saddly, noā€¦ just more roadblocks. One thing that does work, though, is that if you use some other software to do the sysex dumps - you can still use elk-herd to do project management, just only use the file commands. Then you use other software to transfer back. Iā€™m going to investigate this, and see if I can give a clear recipe.

Absolutely! Also tracks sound plocks.

Caveat: Only thing it doesnā€™t track (yet) is if you set the LFO destination to Sample Slot. Youā€™ll need to be aware of this, and remember to keep those sounds ā€œtogetherā€ if you move the sample set on the Sample page.

[Iā€™m planning better UI for this situation in the futureā€¦ but since thereā€™s no way to know that you might plan to increase the LFO depth during performance, thereā€™s no way for the program to know how many samples to keep together as a block.]

Yes, there is an off-line version. It is an archive file that you unpack, and it has everything elk-herd needs. You still need Chrome installed, but you open the index.html file from the archive and it runs locally. (It will still try to send statistics back home ā€¦ but it doesnā€™t care if that fails.)

I havenā€™t posted it for the betaā€¦ but I can later today.

6 Likes

Awesome !

I was not expecting it anyway, given the waveforms, the rates, and so on, this must be a hell of a puzzle.

1 Like

no rush tbh, was just interested!

1 Like

Itā€™s likely that certain types of lfo can be figured out but random might be hard unless it grabs everything based on the the range / depth of the lfo and default value for src.

And then offset it when putting it into a new pattern / project.

Ello,

This is crazy good. Loving it so far.

Reporting:
A nice to have would be to be able to move a pattern up, not only down. So I cannot say move a pattern from B1 to H1, only from B1 to bank A. This seems to have to do with the way it puts a pattern in between others and the patterns that come after it 1 step ahead. Would be nice if I could move a pattern up.

Not really a big deal since the easy workaround is to move empty patterns forward to move everything ahead from a certain point :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think you mean on import, right? After the import, you can move them around all you want in any direction.

But yes, on the ā€œtodoā€ list is on import, keeping the imported items together in a clump, if possible. And for patterns, starting them in their own empty bankā€¦ again, if they will fit.

2 Likes

No just after fetching a project and moving the patterns within that project around.

PS. You made me so happy mr. This made my day. This saved me soooo much time and just in time for ADE so thanks a million. I just send a re-organized pattern back to DT and looking good so far!

1 Like

Hrmā€¦ You should be able to drag a pattern from, say B1 over to H1. There is nothing that requires them to be ā€œcompactedā€. As you are dragging the patter in B1 around, if you hover over H1, it should appear ā€œstripedā€ meaning that it will ā€œdropā€ there.

Hmm Strange. Doesnā€™t work here (Chrome). Iā€™ll be fetching a project from my second DT in 10 minutes to try again.

In action:

But - OH WAIT: Do you mean that all your slots from H1 up are full?

2 Likes

Aaaaah there ya go :slight_smile: . Yes sort of. My ā€œemptyā€ patterns are templated with certain settings on the midi tracks, so I guess not really really empty ;). So my overview says ā€˜untitledā€™ on every ā€œemptyā€ pattern.

1 Like

Ah you have Phantoms!

Phantom patterns are patterns that the Digitakt would think are empty (because they have no trigs set) - but look to elk-herd like you might have something there: a pattern name, or non-default track sounds, or enabled MIDI tracks. The idea is that you probably donā€™t want elk-herd to just overwrite those as if they were truly empty.

Iā€™m gathering that you copy your ā€œpresetā€ into all the available pattern slotsā€¦ So for you, you do want them treated as empty and overwritableā€¦

Would it be helpful to have a feature where you select a pattern and tell elk-herd ā€œThis is my default pattern, if you see it, treat the slot as empty. If you need to clear a slot, do me a favor and put a copy of this default pattern in it.ā€? Or is that too complex?

4 Likes

Aaaaah, you see, I shouldā€™ve checked the help section for this :wink:

Yes, that would indeed be a very nice feature! I mean, it would be a very nice to have, but how it is now is totally workable as well.

Going to re-order my second digitakt now. Digitakt 1 was perfect. Loving this :slight_smile:

Do you have plans to create something like this for DIgitone as well?

2 Likes

oh jeah please do it for all A4 and Digitone as well <3 . !

5 Likes

Hey Mark, Happened on MacOS Mojave and MIDI Output To was set to MIDI+USB.

Iā€™d been using ā€˜Transferā€™ (Elektron) earlier and that session was still live. Once Iā€™d closed it, and reloaded Chrome, everything worked perfectly, so Iā€™m sure that was all it was.

Thanks so much for creating such a useful and well executed product, and for continuing to develop and support it, as well as the community on here.

Just sent you a well deserved beer :pray:

1 Like