Elektrons live in the boiler room

The most punk thing about this statement is asserting notions of what is and isn’t punk on someone else. That’s the punk I know.

Edit: God knows I’ve spent too much time discussing punk in my life. I’m just happy to keep seeing good sets with MD. I’m not a fan of hot knobs, but at the end of the day isn’t all live music a bit performative?

Speaking of punk, MD, and Boiler Room. here’s my favorite:

9 Likes

I could see myself being a multipole no presser. I think I’ll subconsciously hit keys more than once sometime. Why? I don’t know. I do the same thing with copy and paste on a computer. Bad muscle memory from old OS’s where copy didn’t seem to take on the first go.

5 Likes

Nice set
The non 4/4 parts were great
Kinda reminded me of ametsub and lusine
As for the extra knob touching
Who cares

3 Likes

Ah @DaveMech 's the best, this made me happy to read. My wife got me some lessons with Dave for my birthday and he helped accelerate my learning, even across disciplines. Even the guitar playing is more focused and thoughtful. I’m in the US and we collaborated across Zoom + OBS.

Just a wonderful way to spend early quarantine: learning from a skillful punk.

5 Likes

I remember seeing Kraftwerk back in 1990 very little knob touching
Still jaw dropping use of programming and sound design

3 Likes

Same.

I hit it at least twice by default. Sometimes three times if I am not 100% convident that one of the earlier two went all the way through. I thought MS (& MC)'s lack of yes/no buttons was starting to break me of the habit, but as soon as I am back on the OT I find myself doing it again.

Not quite sure I understand the pointing in critiquing such actions.

5 Likes

another serial ‘no’ pusher here. you know you are default position without looking at the screen after a bunch of ‘no’

It’s like hitting the Stop button two or three (or four) times to stop the Sequencer (to make sure every Sounds shut their mouth).

6 Likes

Indeed.

Escape escape escape!

4 Likes

Same here. I do that on a lot of gear, including my computer keyboard. Starting out on an Amiga 500 in the late 80s, I still obsessively hit the command-S shortcut today, even in software where manual saving hasn’t been a thing for years… :confused:

Oh, I think we all know what this guy’s critique was really about…

1 Like

cool set the weirdest thing is being a guy dancing like that with a wolfbrigade shirt , then changing into a tool shirt lol , a great crust punk band. But sure why not. great tunes

This amazing… Love her sound. She’s got some funk.

1 Like

I don’t wish to derail the thread… because it’s a great example of Elektron machines being used to good effect. And I am enjoying watching it.
But after the recent subsidy of boiler room getting some well-deserved scrutiny, that the clip is introduced with an explanation that “in an unprecedented time like this we look at new ways to come together again… Boiler Room and Absolut have partnered together because of their shared values” seems a but tone deaf to me (on Boiler Room’s part ?)

2 Likes

Everyone’s a journalist now, eh?

Total non-story

1 Like

Thanks, Useful feedback

1 Like

Ok, then.

1. What’s wrong with Boiler Room getting a subsidy?

2. Who would you rather be subsidised?

3. Why is is tone deaf for them to partner with Absolut?

2 Likes

Two hits on stop, every time.

1 Like

Nothing intrinsically probably. But as their dominant income is from the scene, money that goes to them doesn’t go to venues/artists etc

Venues / Artists.
Specifically The Egg, Studio 338, Oval Spaces, The Pickle factory for example, none of whom received a penny

They’re being criticised for taking government subsidies . To then very obviously pursue corporate sponsorship in this way from multi-nationals (absolut) - who are benefiting financially from the Covid epidemic is questionable. But there was a question mark after this statement as I recognise that may be my own opinion.
I mean. I watch a lot of Boiler Room, and they dig deep to find talent. So I do not have issue with them, and recognise they bring something … but still.

2 Likes

I know. It was to emphasize the tics we have from our gamers or computer background. Especially the Track and Field Arcade game.

1 Like

It’s not a zero sum game, though.
It’s the oldest Tory trick in the book to dish out less than is needed, so we fight each other over the scraps instead of fighting them for what people need.
It’s not Boiler Room’s fault that the venues you mention were not funded, it’s the government and funding authority who make the decisions.

To my knowledge, Boiler Room often partner up with drinks firms. Just because they’ve had a bit of public subsidy thrown their way doesn’t mean they have to be communists now and I don’t think Absolut are any worse than any other drinks brand (I could be wrong there though, haven’t researched it).

It’s 2020. At the minute, platforms like Boiler room are the venue, if they go under then a lot of already struggling artists will have even fewer avenues for exposure. Boiler room might be a bit cheesy and their sound quality might not be all that good, but they offer a lot of independent artists the sort of exposure they haven’t enjoyed since John Peel died.

9 Likes