Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #8 - Back to 92 edition

And we’re back.

@Doug, @rockpapergoat and I were playing around with theme ideas and we ended with this one. 30 years since 92. Looking at releases from that year we made our choices. The samples are all on the smooth tip so be interesting to see what direction everyone takes their beats in,

Battle specific rules

1. You have to use at least two of the supplied sample sources.
  2. You cannot use outside samples except drums.
  3. You can use one optional external instrument (synth, guitar, voice, tin whistle, whatever). You have to play this instrument yourself, using readymade loops is not allowed.

The samples

Legal

Anyone who wants to join has to submit their track in this thread by February 9th (how is it nearly Feb already?!). Your track should be made respecting the rules above.

You can submit the song in any format or on any platform. You can only submit one single beat for the battle!

After this deadline we will vote in a new thread. Only people who participated can vote, and only after listening to each song. You’ll choose one song as your first place pick and two runners up. Each first place pick will be worth two points. Runners up will each receive one point. You cannot vote for yourself.

Thanks again Doug and Rockpapergoat.

Get busy people!

19 Likes

@Yabba
@Synu
@phaelam
@drrumble
@FNKSTRNG
@PineappleDave
@Maisin
@LyingDalai
@tinara
@surfacescan

4 Likes

@Daevlor
@sezare56
@CCMP
@infovore
@Claid
@DimensionsTomorrow
@TheGhostCat
@the_PMO
@Unifono
@Kpucski

4 Likes

@new_drugs
@Affectionate-Bee-781
@NeonMelk
@woops
@garfield
@Boxymusic
@sndrsklr
@blaize
@Sleepyhead

I grabbed all these from Sleepyhead’s list from the last battle. Hope that’s cool!

Feel free to @ anyone I’ve missed.

6 Likes

Just to confirm. No acappellas or vocal samples allowed in this one?

1 Like

Afraid not, sorry! You can use your own voice though.

2 Likes

Ooh, nice picks! Gonna fire up the MPC and get crackin’. Learned a lot from the last one, especially that in my opinion I need to loosen up my grooves as I loved listening to your un-quantised offerings in the last battle. :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh man, you guys are not making this one easy. Haha. This one is really out of my comfort zone. Gonna have to give it a proper think. :thinking:

5 Likes

Sorry dude! I know all the samples are slightly on a similar vibe and not necessarily typical sources for hip-hop I guess. It’s a challenge! I recommend just loading them in and get playing without thinking :joy: That’s what I’m going to try anyway… I’ll probably make something terrible, lol.

4 Likes

Nah, all good. Serious props to the winner of this one. Haha.

4 Likes

Lets go!

5 Likes

I tried for half an hour. Sounded like shit :see_no_evil:
I cannot promise I get something done, but I‘ll try

5 Likes

apologies in advance. i believe in you all!

7 Likes

No gumption and limited available time precludes my participation as of late. If I find a moment I may try but I doubt it. Good luck to all! As always I look forward to listening to everyone’s result!

5 Likes

I’m currently swamped in non music related stuff so i’ll have to pass…have a good one you guys !

2 Likes

Let’s do this thing!!!

4 Likes

I’ll do my best to find some time to participate!

6 Likes

I’m in, This time i will not miss the deadline!

4 Likes

Nice!
I’ll make a start at the weekend

4 Likes

I’ve made a start but a long way to go, really enjoying recording unquantised into the MPC Live and making subtle tweaks like nudging notes (I’m getting better at moving things around on the grid) or applying subtle quantisation to tighten things up a little bit. The samples this time round are tough but got lots of one-shots out of them. Gonna have to use an external instrument this time I think.

1 Like