Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #7 - The War on Christmas edition

Regretfully I haven’t had the time to get down on this. Hopefully I can catch the next one!

2 Likes

Really nicely done! Which Kount Kick/Snare or kit did you use on this track? I’m a big fan of his stuff but can’t recognize what you’ve used here.

Cheers.

let’s see…

kicks are doubled up in this one with the grump kick and afterparty 2 from kount drums volume 3, snare is the yessir from kount drums volume 4, and hihats are a bunch of the stoney hats from kount’s memory bank drum pack 3.

my go-to hats are usually the hermes from kount drums volume 4. i prefer the softer sound, then adjust velocity and such from there. i also tend toward short rimshot/muted type snares and claps. he has a lot of options there.

as an example, here’s a kit i use a lot in ableton:

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 2.38.18 PM

BUT… i also recently switched up workflow to use separate tracks for drums to make it easier to pan hats and snares and add effects to individual channels. for quick stuff, i might still use kits, just managing eq, compression, and such for the whole group.

2 Likes

I haven’t been able to submit anything for this battle… I had a remix job come in that’s took over my studio and then got Covid. :partying_face::christmas_tree:

But, I am looking forward to checking out everyone’s submission after the deadline. :+1:

1 Like

damn, yo. i can’t like this post. hope your symptoms are mild and that you recover quickly.

2 Likes

Thanks… I’m on Day 5 now, the symptoms seem mild now (coughing, tired, etc), but the first two days were horrendous and way heavier than I’d expected, the worst I’ve felt in a long long time.
In case anyone is curious/wondering, I’m 46, generally fit and healthy, and double vax jabbed.
It’s certainly no stroll in the park, hope everyone remains vigilant. :v:

6 Likes

Super super rough in terms of timing and sound :crazy_face: Live takes and resampling basically. Fun though as these always are! No outside sounds apart from some drums. Probably delete this after the battle :flushed: :joy:

All done on the SP-404 mk2 with a tiny bit of editing and super shit ‘mastering’ in Ableton Live.

Time to get pissed… HNY everyone!

Feel better @CCMP!
We used a chunk of the same @Maisin!

12 Likes

Damn, get well soon @CCMP!

Its great how many people managed to make something by the way. I’ll listen to everything on my studio monitors tomorrow! Very curious to hear what everyone came up with.

3 Likes

Hi everyone. Weird one - I tested positive for Covid on Christmas Day (feels like a very heavy cold, so could have been worse), and have been isolating in my girlfriend’s sister’s attic bedroom for nearly a week, with girlfriend and her other sister, and our dog. And my SP404 mk2. The house-owning sister is ill too, but testing negative, while looking after a 3-year-old and bringing us all food.

So one of the weirder weeks. I’ve spent a lot of time reading about and listening to music, and not much feeling like learning how to make beats. But I figure I need to be meeting deadlines and sharing stuff even when the output makes as little sense as this effort does…

Of all the potential loops I’d spotted, I kept coming back to this one (I think it’s from the David Frost LP). It’s just that and dialogue from Frost and one of the Christmas TV clips. I wanted to add drums, but couldn’t find a way to do it that actually made it sound better. Can’t wait to try to make something that actually sounds like hiphop. Heheh. Very inspired by other people’s beats. Next time, hopefully.

EDIT: Just saw @CCMP 's post about having a heavier Covid experience - I think I dodged a bullet; hope you’re feeling better soon!

chef_capes · Father Christmas
9 Likes

That is hilarious! Confession time :pensive: I didn’t listen to all 4+ hours of the TV shows as I couldn’t rip it or spare the time, so a lot of luck in finding that same part!
Only had a quick listen to your beat on my phone (as oot and aboot for NY with a bottle of Guinness and a couple of cats as you do) but it sounds good :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Hope you get better soon!

1 Like

Great tracks guys! Can’t wait to listen to everything with more care.
I’ve created a separate voting thread as usual! Here it is:

4 Likes

Fuck, i totaly forget this one…i started a beat a few weeks ago but didn’t finish it…
Well done guys, there is amazing beats!

4 Likes

I was missing a beat by you! Hope you join next time again!

1 Like

Yes will be there for the next one!

2 Likes

Damn that is so good! Had it on in the car, took us on a great journey!

1 Like

Amazing entries. I’ve got an eight-hour cross-country car journey out of Covid isolation on Wednesday, so I’ve put everyone’s work into a playlist, ready to propel me south…

2 Likes

here’s my second take. it’s kinda chaotic… no rawls, no extra instruments, just one-shot drums and sample chops from the two other sources.

9 Likes

Like this a lot man, especially from around 50s onwards. The double time bongo type sounds with the drums and the guitar/vox/bass sounds sick :fire:

2 Likes

Thanks man!