Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #14: The Wu-Tang Edition

Fuck yeah! This is my cup of tea. Not sure if I can find the time, but will definitely try :blush:

Some of my favorites:

Fun fact, I played the 36th cd album so many times that I had to buy it 4 times :joy:

6 Likes

Another favorite. So raw!
Goosebumps every time Inspectah Deck opens a track

3 Likes

The only thing I know about Wu-Tang is in this french track from 96 :

4 Likes
5 Likes

36 chambers was literally a game changer. I remember buying it the day it came and me and my friends listened to it non stop. The sampling and beats were another level but it was the style and flow of each member that really grabbed me. Each sounding individual but combining into a bigger force.

4 Likes

This is one of my favorite wu affiliates song, with odb as guest.
All this Sunz of Man album is dope!

3 Likes

Czarface is about the only recent/current hiphop I’ve listened to for quite a while, since the first GZA and Wu albums came out.

4 Likes

For all wu fans, RZAs book is a fun read: https://www.amazon.com/Tao-Wu-RZA/dp/1594484856

I didn’t really care for the “spiritual advice”, numerology and religious stuff, but it does give insight into the origins of the music and the unique sound.

while 36 chambers is probably my favorite hip-hop album (and Liquid Swords and Tical are also high up the list) of all time, I was really disappointed when Wu-Tang forever came out.

The sound was too clean for me, too polished and i felt it lacked the soul/energy of the first album. Reading about what happened to the original studio and all the struggles around that time helped me to understand why…

5 Likes

That’s exactly my opinion when it came out.
There were tracks I really liked but yeah the whole aesthetic was different.
I always assumed it was because Rza started using different hardware

4 Likes

still some awesome tracks on Forever :slightly_smiling_face:
I like the style of the first releases better too.
My favs are the first solo albums from Raekwon and GZA

3 Likes

Pretty sure this might not be high on anyones lists, and the 8 Diagrams was a bit naff on the most part.

I like this bit of ‘hippy RZA’ though. I’m sure everyone else will post some of the more obvious classics, for good reason!

2 Likes

Worth a post :rofl:

4 Likes

i doubt i’ll get a beat in, but i love the theme and i do have a rytm being delivered today so hopefully i can spend some time on it.

a few of my favorite wu tracks that aren’t on their masterpiece first album

3 Likes

It was partially this and partially because he wanted to avoid paying for samples. The specific kit he used was a Clavia Ddrum, according to Carlos Bess who engineered it. I hated that thing ever since :joy:

2 Likes

3 submissions already! How is everyone doing?

1 Like

I haven’t started yet. Hope I find time this weekend

3 Likes

Have got samples from both kung fu movies, 2 stax tracks and the sample pack and got few beats going. Mostly just chopping stuff, looping in the octa and going to record them into ableton probably

My first attempt at one of these so just happy to get some beats finished

3 Likes

Procrastinating as powerfully as always.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’m making a beat that already exists :joy:
Either that or it’s the familiarity of the kung-fu samples over my beat

3 Likes
3 Likes