Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #1

…Rogntudju !

1 Like

hope it’s not too off topic, but what do you all usually do for basslines — sample or play/sequence? my basslines are sometimes okay but usually not awesome (to me). i’m listening to some low end theory this morning while working. most of their stuff seems to use a break/drum loop, maybe another sample or two, and either live or sampled bass clip. it’s simple, effective, classic.

4 Likes

The name low end theory itself is a reference isolating the bass from a sample either using a low pass filter or just not plugging the jack all the way in when recording a sample. Off the top of my head, I know that the baseline for Show Business is "Wicky Wacky’ by the Fatback with the highs filtered out.

If you’ve got bass in a sample you can try filtering it, isolating it, and playing with it from there.

I used to pretty much only do things that way. But now I roll off the low end of the sample and replay what I’ve got in the sequence or at least some of the longer bass notes on my Skulpt or my Digitone. I used to use a bass guitar but I got tired of that. If I’m sampling something without bass, I’ll start with root notes and go from there. Maybe play around with going up or down an octave on certain notes.

So yeah…

If you were off topic then I am too. We’re in this together now. They can’t moderate all of us

12 Likes

I’m all for this thread being a vessel for questions on the hip-hop making process throughout the next weeks. Seems appropriate to me :slight_smile:

When messing with some of the samples last night, my inclination was to record a basic drum pattern and bass line from a synth to hold down the groove.

1 Like

makes sense. this is shop talk relevant to the challenge. wicky wacky is such an awesome song. my son loves it. i like using upright acoustic bass style lines because they have a percussive quality but also that full bodied “cloud of bass” that can sit around the kick drum to give you that cushion. at the same time, my lines tend to get too busy sometimes with either synth bass or like electric bass samples. gonna listen to some classics today to maybe learn to pare back a bit.

it’s also interesting to listen to older hip hop because it feels like people often approached the process from a DJ’s perspective, not with the context of a musician. i’m kind of in the same boat, though learning as i go.

2 Likes

That’s definitely how I come at it. Pretty much anything I know about playing any traditional musical instrument I learned in service of making beats, which I got into from DJing.

2 Likes

@Sleepyhead
I’m interested but maybe you must limit to “sample pack” of the battle, no external samples no ?

2 Likes

This might also be a little off topic but I watched this last night and it gave me some ideas. Watching other‘s approach is always somehow helpful and since it’s a sample based beat it might inspire more people to take part in this battle.

3 Likes

I’m awful at finishing things too, but I’ll toughen up for this one!

Also, I’d propose to record a few scratches of some classic samples (Ahhhs and Freshhh, and some other) at a couple of BPMs (80 / 90 / 100) if you want some ear candy on those tracks.

I’ll edit the post to add the sample and later again to add the scratches.

Edit 1 - The sample:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t be opposed to that for the next one but we went into this one knowing that we could use outside samples and instruments. I know that this rule would have changed what I put up for everyone to use. I think I probably would have chose something with an open drum break.

Sorry, I messed up linking my contribution. Anyway, I’m in. Great sample contributions so far. Here is mine:

Edit: Not sure whats up with embed on my end (most likely user error).
Mod edit: just paste the youtu.be link you got through YT share button, and it’s good ^^

8 Likes

hilarious… thanks for this!

3 Likes

You’re welcome! I’m pretty excited to hear what people make with this.

1 Like

here’s my sample submission

3 Likes

Yeah I thought about that, but I think allowing other samples/instruments to be used gives people more creative freedom. Especially drums are hard to do without outside sounds.

I hope people will give the samples posted here a central role in their submissions, and I guess in the end we could all rate the ones who flipped a sample posted here most creatively the highest.

1 Like

Sure ! @Sleepyhead
When i said no external samples it’s not melodic samples or instruments samples.
Drums allowed.I should have specified

1 Like

Ok but when said no external samples it’s no meodic samples or instruments.Drums allowed !i should have specified.

Either way, we already started this one.

1 Like

Sure man ! @Doug
Happy to see Elektron battles !

2 Likes

I’ll try to do something if I can. No Elektron machine at the moment, so I’ll have to cook up something in Serato Sample.

Here is a track I posted in the crate diggers thread. I’ve been really enjoying this one lately. One question: A cappellas allowed or no?

9 Likes