Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #4 - "Fresh Eyes" Edition

Ah, OK, gotcha! I was thinking it was 1st place and two runners up. If it’s just scoring it makes no difference to me.

2 Likes

loved this album when I was younger. always felt forced when I tried to sample it… the pressure to do justice to the songs you resonate with!

11 Likes

I know the Primus version by heart but had not heard the original for decades!
My 20’s are back, I know which sample I’ll get!
Thanks!

2 Likes

This one is a jewel ! :star_struck:

1 Like

Hey all. I would like to take part as a way to get my backside in gear to create a sample based track. It will be the first time I have attempted song writing in this way, I don’t fit the mission brief of bringing a sample I have played with to the party. I could dig something pretty random up? Or not. What do peeps think?

5 Likes

Yeah, in that case just choose a sample that you would like to see used or that you think might be fun to make something with, especially something you haven’t heard used before.

3 Likes

Hi all.

9 Likes

Sorry I won’t be able to join this one. I’m away next week and couldn’t get a beat going this week. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s submissions. Hopefully can join in next time!

3 Likes

For the fun

6 Likes

Ok, here is my source material, not something I’ve had a go with yet:

7 Likes

So totally off kilter - I always wondered if something could be done with the breakdown section of this angst teenage favorite. I tried once. The answer was no.

5 Likes

Alright, folks. Today is the final day to submit a sample and join in. I’m in California. I think that midnight comes latest for me…unless we’ve got some folks in Alaska or Hawaii. So the deadline is 12am PDT.

5 Likes

I’ll see if I can carve out some time for this one. I used to listen to this record all the time, and I always thought I would use it in something, but every time I tried, I just felt like I was butchering it. I guess you could say I enjoy it enough not to destroy it;)

8 Likes

Aight, I’m in. Hopefully, I can find some time to flip something within the week and actually participate, rather than make something and never submit it lol

9 Likes

Aaaah! Almost missed it! I’m in!!
This one always haunted me… I never flipped it quite like I know it deserves, left it in the safe, watched it collect dust, revisited it, still nada… perhaps it will be dealt with accordingly here?

6 Likes

Haha I was just getting ready to post my finished beat, but I guess some people are still living in yesterday :joy:

Will post it after work!

2 Likes

I have the honor to start this one off: thanks for the great concept for this one @Doug! I liked focussing on a single sample.

I mainly used @DimensionsTomorrow’s great sample. The main loop is pitched pieces of a couple of chords at the end, and I also used different bits as ‘sprinkles’ on top (horns, echoing stuff). The kick is also from the sample, layered with the analog tom machine.

The other sounds are some pieces of a drum break and some internal AR sounds: the bass and lead are made with the dual vco, and the snare is layered with some noise. I added a rakim acapella, but left the end open so you guys can hear the beat by itself. Hope you like it! The volume on youtube seems to be kind of low, which is weird because the master is very loud…

By the way: I added a second beat I made with @Yabba’s Richie Havens sample at the end. This was my first attempt before I settled for the main beat, I just added it as a pete rock like interlude for fun.

13 Likes

Here is mine. As usual made on the Digitakt.
I used @Doug sample, i found it very inspiring, i made it the day you posted it :grin:
I chopped the intro to get the main sample, and next i took little chops of Horns, drums, guitar and voice samples to add on top of it.
I also put the acapella of IAM, subbmited as a sample for the last battle.
I hope that i will do honor to this song, which is THE ultimate French classic hiphop song (every French into hiphop will confirm that :wink:). I just kept my favorite part but all the song, and the album which it is taken is pure dope from begining to the end (IAM - L’école du micro d’argent)

I also do another beat with @new_drugs sample but is not good as this one, i will share it after the voting.

Props @Sleepyhead , always on point! Your remix is dope and this Rakim song is one of my favorite songs ever. I made a remix last year, before i get the digitakt, but i think now i will redo it with my fav sampler!

13 Likes

Not sure if I can make it after all as my studio is still half packed after the move and on top of that my son was born a week early so everything’s kinda chaos right now! :smiley:

15 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like