Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #4 - "Fresh Eyes" Edition

Congratulations! (But also that’s no excuse.)

:partying_face: :smile:

3 Likes

Congratulations, see you in the battle #1349 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

4 Likes

Congrats man!

1 Like

Heartbeats are the best beats. Congratulations!

4 Likes

first of all, and once again, everyone’s source material was awesome. i have like 4 or 5 songs in progress from these submissions. two stood out pretty quickly, and i just had to make a call before the deadline.

this one uses @drrumble’s grandma’s record and an acapella of j-live’s “walkman music” over the top. this was all done in ableton. the bass line is repro-1, i think. drums are sequenced one-shots from the kount (best in the business). there are two different high hat loops, but the rest is from the source sample.

i’ll post the others once voting is done. hope you enjoy. also congrats to @FNKSTRNG on the new addition to the family!

15 Likes

Waou ! Crazy what you did with that sample ! Big Up!!! :boom: :boom: :boom: I wasn’t thinking that someone will use it!

1 Like

haha… thanks. when you posted it, i just knew it had to be flipped. thanks again!

2 Likes

Hi,
main sample : @DimensionsTomorrow this track is incredible !
little use of @sezare56 sample (a classic !!!)
Drums outside, no external samples.
Was fun thanks you all for all music share here !

11 Likes

Congrats !

:content: As usual, I won’t listen any track untill I post mine, because I don’t want to be influenced. :wink:
(I also used a part of @DimensionsTomorrow’s and 2 other entries)

3 Likes

Sure like me :grin:

1 Like

@drrumble - That right there is exactly why I wanted to do this one. I really dig the way you chopped that and incorporated the little extra sprinkles of horns and things on top as well. It’s really great to hear this record sliced and diced. Super dope.

@Sleepyhead - Excellent. I saw this pop up on YouTube a little while before you posted it and it took me a second to catch the flip. I actually did my first attempt with the Richie Havens sample, as well. I’ll probably post it later.

@rockpapergoat - I thought I knew where you were going with it when it started but that took a turn. I didn’t see that flip coming at all. Dope as usual.

@Dheurt - I really like these little battles because you see what people pick up on. That’s a wildly different take on that sample. I think that horn really added a lot. It’s kind of crazy how well it fits with that bugged way you cut up the other sample. Very cool.

Anyway, here’s my little number. I used @rockpapergoat’s sample, as well as a little bit of “Mosem E Gol” by Parva just to keep the pre-revolution Iran thing going. I also already had the drums from Silly Putty in my Digitakt so I used those. Shouts to @eerieacid.

12 Likes

I’ve been up at a pretty remote hot spring in the mountains and I’m going deep sea fishing when I get back, so I’m not sure if I’m going to find the time to get something together this time. I’ll try to squeeze in a mini flip if I can, but we’ll see. Looking forward to listening to all the beats though when I get a chance!

***I’m kicking myself for not remembering to bring the field recorder.

8 Likes

Ah…exausted…I had a cold, but I could record something, with fever!
Not really hiphop, sorry…:content:

Sample used

First is @DimensionsTomorrow’s
Around 5’15"
https://youtu.be/NrXK7Ki7RG8

Second is @eerieacid’s
https://youtu.be/6nYF2DJlFqg

Third is @Boxymusic’s
https://youtu.be/SO4p9DeaCkw

I used Octatrack and Perfom VE for vocals.
Not happy of settings, so be it.
Only one pattern, one bar

I only used provided samples and downloaded wav files directly from my smartphone to OT, after generating wav files from a youtube to audio site. No computer! :pl:

Thanks all, was really fun and interesting again…

12 Likes

@rockpapergoat, I gotta say man, it took my ears about 3 battles to catch up to your style. I mean, it was obvious from the start you were technically very good but now I have a real sense of your point of view with your beats and I love it. You have a great ear. Things I would not know where to start with sample-wise you conjure great stuff out of. To my ear, your beats always have a sense of fun about them. They’re casually whimsical. I would love to hear you collaborate with an mc on something. Nice work.

6 Likes

damn, man. that is very kind and generous to say. i truly appreciate your words and also the time anyone spends listening to any of the stuff i smash together.

i really do value that sense of whimsy. a lot of music from my formative years has that playful quality to it, and i spent a lot of time listening to layers and picking out little bits that just made me laugh or otherwise feel engaged with the piece. i’m not a musician though do aspire to have better keyboard skills at some point before dying. a lot of music takes itself too seriously, so i like to have fun with my stuff. it’s funny you mention collaborating with MCs. my wife always busts on me for not usually listening to music with lyrics. give me some instrumental funk, jazz, or electronic big beat stuff any day, but i’ll never pay attention to the lyrics.

anyway, thanks and respect to you and the community. this place is aces.

7 Likes

Alright, well here’s my lil’ submission. If you can’t tell from the slightly sneaky title, I sampled the song from @FNKSTRNG, (congrats on the new kiddo! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :partying_face:). I took the first 20 or so seconds and put it into my lowly Pocket Operator. After chopping the sample up and structuring the beat, I ultimately used some chops as the main focal point of the beat. The bass was also made from a short snippet of the sample, while the drums came from who knows where. (I don’t remember :joy:). I recorded 7 takes of the beat, as all the FX were played in live, but it turned out that the first take was the best one. Kinda funny how it turned out like that. No post processing except for a fade out at the end.

Now for everyone else’s far better beats:

@Sleepyhead Super dope beats! The little synth sparkle bits on the first one were a nice touch. (P.s. I actually found your second beat to be my favorite. The shuffling of the background drums are really rhythmically enjoyable. Makes me wish I could write proper lyrics to rap over your beat. :laughing:)

@drrumble Whoah! I’ve never heard French rap, but that’s sick! Your beat really compliments his flow, and the sample features prominently. :+1: Love it.

@rockpapergoat As always, you came up with a wonderfully unique beat that uses such a random sample, but to good effect. Definitely one of my favorite tracks of yours that I’ve heard.

@Dheurt This has a great chill and perhaps even slightly sinister feel to it. Tight track mate.

@Doug I love how upbeat and fast this feels. I know BPM-wise it’s not exactly that fast, but it has a great sense of momentum. :ok_hand: Thanks for organizing this battle. :grin:

@sezare56 You’re right, it isn’t really hip-hop. But it sure is funky! I can get down to this for sure. Props for adding your own vocals. :sunglasses:

Anyways, big up to everyone participating. Y’all are all awesome.

11 Likes

Just took some time to listen to the beats submitted so far… (will listen again when voting begins)

Really great tracks again guys! I like the idea that we all made something out of a bunch of samples other people couldn’t quite figure out. Great concept @Doug!

@drrumble great track! I love Iam, l’ecole du micro d’argent is in my regular spotify rotation. You did the track justice, this sounds like very well made late 90’s hiphop, and as I said before: your style is really recognizable between all these battles.

The same goes for @rockpapergoat, I love your style, its cinematic and wild, very original. The closest comparison would be madlib, but with a different flavour. I like it best if your beats have a certain raw quality to them, which this one certainly does.

@Dheurt this one sound kind of dark, like driving around at night. Kind of reminds me of more recent alchemist beats in that way. Dope!

@doug another dope video showing the chopped sample. I’m a big fan of the way your drums sound in all of your beats, very full yet with enough space, something that is very hard to do. This one reminds me of something stoupe from jedi mind tricks would make. Very well done.

@sezare56 very unique, maybe not hiphop but who’s to decide… You really seem to have mastered the OT, it’s cool to hear the way you use it to create an interesting buildup. Dope track.

@PineappleDave wow I have the po-33 as well, and I instantly recognize this sound, but its really impressive how freaky you got that tiny machine to sound. I usually end up woth very straight to the point beats, you flipped the hell out of that sample haha. Very nice job!

7 Likes

Man, this is exactly why i want to add an octatrack to my setup! Awsome performance, and props for the vocals, it’s not easy to sing and perform on a machine at the same time.

1 Like

Thanks! As I already said, count on me to help you to do what you want to achieve with OT! :wink:

It was challenging indeed ! First time with OT.
Not what I wanted for vocal settings/performance, but for this fourth take I didn’t miss scenes transitions, so I kept it, not sure to do better.
I realised after it was pretty off topic as Hip Hop Beat! OT decides sometimes…:content:

5 Likes