Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #10: Voting and Feedback

Haha. I actually didn’t realize that, but now I can’t unhear it!

1 Like

Just need a drum break and Westside Gunn saying ‘hey yo. do do do do do’ over the intro on this. I only remembered the second half from my youth. Can we run the same rules for the next battle?!

4 Likes

Winner

#16 lovely all round package.

Runners up

#7 Wagonchrist vibes, smooth

#15 boom slapper

Any of these could of slipped into runner up mode depending on my mood;

#2 smooth as, nice live beat

#4 creativity with samples was joyous

#6 phull phat

#11 maddest groove

#13 mashed to perfection

#14 looking forward to hearing how on earth this was achieved, nice.

#19 again wanna know the components of this one, mad bass.

#20 love the backbone of this, great vibe, like a classic boc shimmerer. #10 shared this too.

#21 great potential in this one

10 Likes

Wow, I don’t remember it sounding like that!
Had I stumbled across that one I would have immediately fed it to me sampler

1 Like

Aaand voted.

First place: 16; loved this, great feel. I know a lot of it feels like it’s come down to the personal sample choice, but it’s a really nice tight mix and just works. Very Avalanches!

Second place: 2; lovely string chops, nice harmonic feel - all the melodic components work tegether well.

Third place: 3; I’m a sucker for that guitar. I wish the melodic components aligned a bit more, but I think the vibe you’re going for it doesn’t matter so much. Enjoyed it enough for a tick.

Nearlies: 20, 1, 18. (18 if you’d had some dynamic range you might even have got into my top 3. Chill on the mastering!), but what a field to pick from.

9 Likes

I voted already but didn’t write down my feedback yet:

1st: 7, great, hard hitting boombap just the way I like it!
2nd: 21, I’m kinda surprised this didn’t get more votes so far. Love the uniqueness and groove.
3rd: 16, dope track overal, I like the (long) melodic loop and the drums doing unexpected things.

I’ll share my honourable mentions after The results as to not give away too much about which one I did!

11 Likes

Winner: #7
Hot damn, this smacks you in the face! Absolutely huge drums, plus a dark, sinister vibe. I wish this track had an old-skool MC yelling his heart out on top of it.

Second Place: #2
Great chops on this one! The starting chops have a quiet uncertainty to them, and then the string section comes in to answer the question. Great drums too! (I wish the bass was louder but that’s just a nitpick).

Third Place: #15
I’m a suck for weird beats, and this one fits the bill perfectly. Booming drums plus a variety of sample chops switching in and out make this an unpredictable ride.

To everyone else, you have no idea how long it took me to narrow it down to 10 beats, let alone the final three. :joy: Stellar work from y’all as always.

12 Likes

Very much enjoyed listening to all the entries, well done everyone :clap:
Submitted my votes at last:
Will send in my notes for after the results

9 Likes

1st Place :1st_place_medal:

#2- funny, hearing the intro I instinctively thought I wouldn’t like it… but when it kicked in it just got better and better, and made me want to listen a couple of times. Loved the atmosphere to it… sounds subtle but melodic too. I’d listen to this IRL (in real life). Great.

2nd Place

#16- Great work… reminded me of the Big Lebowski. I think my choices confirm to me that I like melodic hip hop, and melodically interesting music generally, so all 3 of my choices have that in common.

3rd Place

#18- odd time sig, liked that this time sig challenge was taken on voluntarily and made to sound natural! Is it really hip hop? Who cares, it sounds great, and a really big sounding production. Even more kudos if that really is only made up of 10 samples, sounds like way more to me.

11 Likes

Listening through again…. On the last blind vote battle, I was pretty close when I was guessing to myself who made which beat.
In this battle, I have to say, I haven’t got a clue haha.

2 Likes

Yep same. Not a clue! This voting period seems to be lasting forever :laughing:

3 Likes

Haha yeah I’m very curious who did which beat! Can’t wait for this to be completed

4 Likes

damn, i almost forgot about the voting. it’s been a busy couple of weeks over here. will catch up on people’s comments and post track feedback later, but my votes are in before the deadline.

and like everyone else mentioned, it’s super difficult to discern who made what in this battle. i’m continually impressed with all your work.

8 Likes

I am also short on time for the feedbacks but voting is in! Thanks to all for this edition!

3 Likes

One more sleep :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Reminder: Voting ends tomorrow! Get it in today! :smile:

2 Likes

finally :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

giphy

2 Likes

gotta wait for the poll to close mate, just a few more hours!

1 Like

Sorry couldn’t help myself, slow news day :sweat_smile:

2 Likes