Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #10: Voting and Feedback

inspector-gadget-ss1

Welcome back everyone! Now that everyone has submitted their beats it is time to vote on who has the best! Big ups to everyone who made a track and @waftlord and I can’t wait to hear these!

bod

Alright, down to business:

Everyone has three votes

The tracks are numbered and randomly ordered, so this is a blind vote.

The first poll is for first place, the second poll for second place, and the third poll for third place.

The polls will be opened until next Tuesday, May 31st.

Additionally, we would like to see some feedback/background on the tracks you chose such as why you chose them. Feel free to leave some comments to any other tracks too, of course.

Speculation on whose beat is whose is welcome, but please do not give any indication if a certain beat is actually yours or not. That way no one can figure out which is yours through process of elimination :joy:

Lastly, we ask you to write down a few lines where you describe the production process of your beat. Just a few words on sample selection and production. Send these via pm to @waftlord please. We will add these after the big reveal to let everybody have a look behind the scenes. We hope this will give inspiration for future beat making and battles.

Let the voting commence! :partying_face:

(Thanks to @Unifono for some of the language of the post, as I borrowed from his voting post for the last battle).

13 Likes

(mistake) choice is for when you chose someone while scrolling, to undo your vote.

Your favorite track :trophy: (1/2)
  • (mistake)

0 voters

Your favorite track :trophy: (2/2)
  • (mistake)

0 voters

Your second choice :2nd_place_medal: (1/2)
  • (mistake)

0 voters

Your second choice :2nd_place_medal: (2/2)
  • (mistake)

0 voters

Your third choice :3rd_place_medal: (1/2)
  • (mistake)

0 voters

Your third choice :3rd_place_medal: (2/2)
  • (mistake)

0 voters

4 Likes

@CCMP
@Jedilicious
@surfacescan
@Sleepyhead
@xyzer
@looms
@Yabba
@Unifono
@eerieacid
@tinara

@Maisin
@sleepside
@DimensionsTomorrow
@rockpapergoat
@Symian
@infovore
@Doug
@the_PMO
@williohm

If I forgot to @ anyone else plz lemme know

blind vote pro tip.
press play.
close this window.
the soundcloud waveforms always ruin any surprises.

5 Likes

Wow what a turnout, great to hear such a broad style of beats too, no matter the winner congrats to all of you on being dope… that was definitely a fun half hours listening… :pray:

No. 7 ftw followed by no. 9 and no. 6

No 7… straight up banger, beats, sample selection all spot on, especially the off key mono line that was sublime…

No 9 love the half time dnb feel you had going on with that break, fantastic work real head nodder…

No 6 this had me feeling like it came straight out of early 90s britcore, hard beats for sure, some angry council estate vibes…

6 Likes

Damn there’s a lof of heat! I’m having trouble bringing my shortlist down from 7 to 3 tracks right now.

Great work guys!

6 Likes

Oosh, some of these samples are really tickling my childhood memory brain receptors :joy: Some great stuff here as usual.

Edit: #17 Box of Delights I see you!

I hope everyone posts their sources after the battles done :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

I JUST understood what you mean. It’s true - “watching” the playhead move across the waveform is deceiving. Thanks for the pro tip!

2 Likes

I’ve got to ask, why the 2 week voting time? I want to know who did what now.

Winner

7 - It’s just kind of classic boom bap, which is to say, pretty great.

Runners up

9 - This is very strange and cool. I really like how weird it sounds. I really dig the drum programming. I like it a lot.
4 - It sounds big and triumphant but with the Bod (?) vocal sample it makes it sound like it’s from some hip-hop version of Zelda or something.

Honorable Mentions

20 - Really dig the meditative lofi vibe of it.
2 - This has a kind of spy movie thing going. I like the little fx in there.

8 Likes

Yeah the two weeks was an oversight on my part. I encourage everyone to go ahead and vote sooner rather than later😂 if all 21 of us have voted then we can go ahead and finish things up.

5 Likes

I have only skimmed through them up to now, from what I hear they all sound really sick, nice work everyone.
I’ll have a full play through them tomorrow after work and give my vote.

1 Like

Damn, so much creativity

2 Likes

Working on narrowing down choices and writing comments, trying hard not to write something about every single entry! At the very least, I don’t think there’s a bad one in the bunch

1 Like

Winner #16
Gives me an old Amon Tobin vibe somehow. Would fit nicely somewhere within permutation. Super nice.

Runners up:
#7 Just classic. Dark. Could be a 90s RZA beat. Waiting for the clan to chime in.

#2 Super chilled. Nice samples. Makes me feel good.

Honorable mentions:
#20 The loop is very hypnotic and vibey. Love it. Drums are maybe a bit spare for my taste.
#9 I hear the beasty boys in my head. Super groovy
#18 Great groove as well. Powerful drums.
#4 Great sample loop.

9 Likes

Winner: #16
This took me back to my teenage years as a wiseguys song from an album I loved at the time uses the same sample. And I still don’t know what the sample is so whoever made this please put me out of my misery after all the votes are in! Besides all that, this is just super well done and I really dig the drums and the way the inspector gadget sample has been weaved in. Very dope.

2nd place: #2
Great sounding mix, dig the vibe, the sample chops the drum programming and all the little sounds going on.

3rd place: #15
This one made me nod my head and smile. Fun vibe. I dig that’s it got two quite distinct parts to it with the samples. Very cool.

Honourables
#7: Pretty damn sick. Very close to being in my top 3, Love the drums. Hard tune.
#13: Very cool sample. Very cool drums. Sounds effortless.
#10: Dig the vibe of this one. Sparse and moody. Very different. Kinda reminds me of Dabrye.
#18: Double time head nod! Very sick percussion going on in this.

8 Likes

1st:
15 - The sweet and sour of your A and B sections, and the way B intrudes on A, are killer. The drums sit perfectly. I was grinning the whole time

2nd:
09 - On top of this mix of weird sounds and fidelities, I really like the beat shuffling

3rd:
07 - Delightfully grimy and textured. Is this a Courage the Cowardly Dog flip?

Honorable Mentions (In seq order):
01 - This rhythm sections rumbles and bops! I love the layers on this beat
02 - I am a sucker for mood shifts, and the spooky piano to syrup strings and bells is a smooth one. Killer snare.
05 - I like this deconstructed beat, off kilter and darting everywhere. I do wish there was a moment where the beat would burst wide open, but it’s cool and clever as-is
06 - Drums and gadget bass sound enormous. I could imagine someone rapping over this the moment those kicks hit. Also like the Hey Arnold horns here
11 - Controlled chaos. Cinematic and evocative and spiraling in all directions, but somehow not falling apart.
13 - I love the psychedelic marching band vibe! What a great match with Schoolhouse Rock.
18 - That bass and drifting lead have such a slinky vibe. I do wish the drums were slightly quieter
20 - Wintery and hypnotic without feeling repetitive. I love the muffled crunch of the track

8 Likes

1st 2 I’m just waiting for doom(RIP) to start a verse the whole damn time

2nd 4 I love the kik honestly and I have a love/hate on with the hats which leans more towards love

3rd 7 love the kik choice as well and also dig the amount of not quite right that is just right amount(to my liking)

Otherwise good job all around to everyone else! I noticed a few that chose, as I did, to use a break for drums to overcome the voice limit. I also noticed a few that went with much longer loops to work around and build upon. Very interesting to see all the different approaches to the rules yet again!

Lastly it seems like lots of beats were done in a “performance” type octa/404 sort of way. It’s something I’m often reluctant to incorporate to my beats because I want to leave room for an MC. I think I may need to acknowledge that an MC is not waiting to jump on my shit so I should explore it more!

9 Likes