Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #10: Voting and Feedback

First: #7 - Really smooth, remained interesting despite the sample limitations. Very impressive production work. Loved it.

Second: #11 - Loved the off-kilter vibe of the drums and the melody remained interesting throughout. Strings are super cool. Close call for first place.

Third: #14 - I’m a sucker for electric piano and guitar sounds, so this just really appealed to me. Well put together.

Honorable mentions (no particular order): All of these sounded like full tracks to me, which was sort of the main criteria by which I was judging tracks. All close to being in my top three.

#16, #18, #21

All around really great work from everyone. Makes me wish I put a little more time into mine, but was just happy to get something together and definitely inspires me to get back to recording. Also should have taken @waftlord’s advice and submitted as a WAV as the sound quality definitely suffered. Will definitely resubmit a WAV version if this gets archived somewhere. Lesson learned.

Congrats to the organizers for a really successful battle!

9 Likes

Is it me or does the overall quality of these HHBB gets higher and higher?
This deserves a global mastering and an album: congratulations everyone, I’m really impressed!

7 Likes

I feel this too. I‘m super impressed

5 Likes

haven’t seen much sample spotting yet, a few tracks really tickle my nostalgia gland, but i can’t quite identify…
probably because we’re a global entity and there’s loads of obscure shows from peoples birth countries. and they’ve flipped them so creatively.

no 19… that mono synth type sound supporting the gadget theme, love to know where that is from…

5 Likes

I thought this too, possibly a generational thing also, I mean I’m 50 now and I doubt very much that I’d recognise anything from past the mid 90s… I’m looking forward to everyone revealing their sources though, it’s defo an education in other people’s approach to sample selection and use case…

4 Likes

Agree! I just looked it up and it’s been nearly a year since we started doing these battles, and I feel like we as a group made huge steps both in the creative ways the battles are now set up, and the quality of the submissions themselves. Y’all are some talented dudes/girls!

5 Likes

This was probably my most enjoyable listen through of the battles so far, really nice work.
Tricky as usual, but I went for

1st= 16
I love that sample whatever it might be, and I love how the track moves

2nd= 2
Straight up hip hop, lovely flip.

3rd=11
I love this and the mood it creates, has a chaotic sound in the best sort of way.

I would like to comment on everyone but then it’ll be obvious which one is me lol so I’ll add a few more comments when it’s all over

Nicely done all.

7 Likes

this was real fun. noticing some disparity in everyones top 3 so far which really speaks to the widespread quality being put out!

first:
16 - the whole beat was so nicely glued together and had this whimsy about it, like walking through a field. there were subtle changes and new samples arising to help push the progression wonderfully.

second:
13 - hits that middle ground between happy and creepy, like a psychotic commercial or an intro song by beyond the wizards sleeve.

third:
2 - felt like a walk through an abandoned house on a sunny day. the inspector gadget safe spinning sample sounded like stepping on a creaky floorboard. loved it.

8 Likes

Holy mackerel, what a great collection of beats. Lots of variety and great quality overall :slight_smile:

My top three:

Track 6 Banging boombap beat, neck-breaker combined with epic dark bass and funky tune

Track 4 You already had me with the milli vanilli type beginning, but I was hooked once the drums started kicking in

Track 7 Less is more. RZA vibes, and a combination of aggression and cheerfulness. The flute-like sound made it really stand out for me.

These are the ones that almost made it:

Track 9 Great late 80s hip-hop vibe with the drums, love the scratch-like sounds

Track 10 Love the synth growl, I prefer more ear-shattering/in your face drums, but this fits really nicely.

Track 13 Felt like LSD. Very unique flavor and I love the contrast between the dark beginning and the vocals afterwards

Track 16 Very well put together, nice harmony between the elements.

Track 18 Not sure if I would classify this as hip-hop, but it feels like an awesome spy movie intro!

Thanks organizers, and all others for inspiring me to learn and grow!

10 Likes

Interested to know if there were any obscure themes that people didn’t end up using, This was one I was going to use but changed my mind, this one gave me the creeps as a kid.

4 Likes

Haha picture box was a weird show full stop, nevermind the theme tune, they user to show European art house style shorts, I remember one episode was the boy with the red balloon…

Here’s one I toyed with but didn’t really like the direction it was taking…

2 Likes

Yer not wrong :joy:
A lot of uk ones are a bit weird, this show was all levels of strange

3 Likes

Some I could sometimes see when the parents were not behind my back:

3 Likes

I also considered this one…

1 Like

I considered this one but did not manage to make it work :

2 Likes

Ello little ol lady! :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Phwoar, the bit rate on that!

1 Like

Mmmmm crunchy…:sweat_smile:

1 Like

These were two others I was toying with. The Incredible Hulk one in particular just wouldn’t gel with Inspector Gadget. That Underdog theme is nice though.

Another show that had incredible music was Johnny Quest.

I binge watched all the old Columbo shows during the start of the pandemic. They are actually incredible, and the music scores are on another level. Billy Goldenberg’s scores in particular are masterpieces. I’m a sucker for film and TV music from the 1970s and early 80s.

5 Likes

Nice selection.
Underdog is actually the sample used in Wu-tang clan ain’t nutin to f*** wit.
I was wondering if someone would use that.

And I think Killarmy used the closing music from the Hulk in one of their tracks.

1 Like