Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #10: Voting and Feedback

Yep same. Not a clue! This voting period seems to be lasting forever :laughing:

3 Likes

Haha yeah I’m very curious who did which beat! Can’t wait for this to be completed

4 Likes

damn, i almost forgot about the voting. it’s been a busy couple of weeks over here. will catch up on people’s comments and post track feedback later, but my votes are in before the deadline.

and like everyone else mentioned, it’s super difficult to discern who made what in this battle. i’m continually impressed with all your work.

8 Likes

I am also short on time for the feedbacks but voting is in! Thanks to all for this edition!

3 Likes

One more sleep :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Reminder: Voting ends tomorrow! Get it in today! :smile:

2 Likes

finally :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

giphy

2 Likes

gotta wait for the poll to close mate, just a few more hours!

1 Like

Sorry couldn’t help myself, slow news day :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

Updated names on the playlist. Apologies if i’ve got anything muddled, let me know if anything needs changing, or you want soundcloud etc link in track description.

Totally pleasantly surprised with this battle. Great to hear the limitations push people in different directions and produce beats i really didn’t associate with their sound.

Haven’t done the maths on the votes. :pineapple:dave’s on that

Here’s the notes i’ve received and sample source reveals, again sorry i’ve missed someone amidst the carnage, just add your notes below.

Sleepside

This beat is built on “Ice Me Down,” from the score to Hey Arnold! episode “Heat,” with flutes from Bod’s Dream and the B-Section bass from Gadget. Made entirely in Audacity. It’s maybe a bit cheap using some 3- and 4-bar sections wholesale from the original song, but I am proud of the tritone horn drop into the B-Section and the yowl-to-guitar transition.
Hey Arnold was not only one of my favorite shows as a kid, but my earliest memory of jazz

(waftlord edit: this one?)

waftlord

my extra show was Stop it and Tidy Up, beautiful old BBC sounds re triggered with some slide and LFO pitch to sound like scratching.
MD live beat with less live glitching than usual to avoid going over sample limit.

Infovore

I really, really wanted to use something really formative, and also something definably British. This was super important to me as a show, and also a sample I immediately wanted to try something with. As somebody picked up on, it’s the theme tune to The Box Of Delights:

aka an excerpt from the Andante of Victor Hely-Hutchinson’s Carol Symphony. So: that also threw me into 3 against 2 land. I’ll always remember those Quantel Paintbox titles, and the whole thing. It’s a bit dated, but it falls firmly into the children’s canon that the BBC supported of “Christmas Is Weird” and “Old Magic Is Really Weird”. Masefield’s book is 30s, but they managed to give it some of that Alan Garner / Susan Cooper / etc vibe.

I managed to get the harp sample it into a slow, 70-something BPM four-count tempo, and with some triplet swing on a few parts made it fit against a 2-time beat. Drums are all from breaks I had lying around on the Tracker. Falling “strings”/wail is the Inspector Gadget siren; bass is double-tracked from BOD.

Then I forgot the rules and thought i had one extra non-drum sample. so the bass is thickened up with something else, and I disqualified myself. Nice one.

The whole thing came together out of finding melodic things to fit with the Hely-Hutchinson. It’s all done on a Polyend Tracker. I recorded the whole thing in a single take, doing some tricks in Performance Mode, and then just mastered it in Ableton. I didn’t have time to re-record it without the ropey bass sample, so off it goes.

eerieacid

I’ve used these last two battles as a learning tool for the 404 I got recently whose workflow is vastly different from anything I’ve ever used before. This go around I got a better understanding of the pattern mode, bus effects, and using the live effects in and out (noted by the overuse of it in my beat sweat_smile.png). samples used: pitched down gadget for bass, safe spinning for percussion, bot flute part through the scatter effect, kick/snare/hat, and four string chops from the cartoon of my choice which was Gargoyles. going to make mixing and adding different parts a focus next time now that I’m starting to get a grasp working with the 404.

Sleepyhead

I chose the Little Nemo in Slumberland cartoon as my sample source, because I loved it as a kid and it fits my name.

From inspector gadget I took some rattling percussion, and I got a bass sound by looping, filtering and resampling a short piece of horns. I took some whistling from the other cartoon and added drum sounds. I sliced up my own sample and looped a part of it. The entire beat is made on the Octatrack, and the submission is a live recording from me performing the track, no fx added afterwards.

Doug

I made my beat on my Digitakt. The kick and the snare come from “Wasp” by Black Sabbath. The hi-hat is from “Got to Give the People What They Want” by the O’Jays. And the crash is from “Mirrors” by Julius Hemphill. I used a slice from the last note of the Inspector Gadget theme as my main sample. It’s just pitched around and there’s a lot of stuff going on with the filter envelope. My sample was from The People’s Court. I chose 3 sections–they’re the percussion loops if you’re unfamiliar. And they’re just looped with a lot of delay. And the icing on the cake is a little bit from Bod. It’s the last flute note on the first section of the video. It’s just pitched way down and has a bunch of delay on it. Side note, if you don’t know that O’Jays break, you’ve definitely heard it a bunch because Pete Rock used the hi-hats on like every other beat in the 90s.

Yabba

I’ve used 10 chops only
Kick=1
Snare=2
Hi hats are from an old drumbreak that I hi pass filtered and looped =3
Bass (a single tone filtered from inspector gadget and played chromatically) =4
Main sample which I used three chops from = 7
Siren from inspector gadget = 8
An “ahhh” sound sampled from Bod = 9
And finally the sound that sounds like a synth is the flute from Bod short looped and played on Digitakt chromatic mode =10

5 Likes

It’s kind of funny how region specific this kind of thing can be. This was my sample. I was #18.

I think this was just in America. It reminds me of staying home from school

6 Likes

I’m currently awake at all sorts of odd times due to having covid, so I thought I’d post now before I have another 16 hour nap lol
This was my sample, another one that scared the crap out of me as a kid, I used the bit starting 0:37 and i pitched it down quite a lot to -8 semitones.

8 Likes

Ok ok, the results are in!

I had to add things up kind of funny, but I got it straightened out. :joy: :nerd_face: Without further ado, here are your winners!

First Place: #7@Yabba
Second Place: #16@Symian
Third Place: #2@Sleepyhead

Congratulations to the winners, and big ups to everyone who participated! This has been a wild ride with a lot of variety and dope tracks. Shout-out to @waftlord for co-hosting this madness with me, and shoutout to @LyingDalai for helping us out with the polls! Can’t wait to see y’all in the next one! :pineapple:

14 Likes

Congrats to the winners!! These were my choices as well. Super well deserved.

Great battle, great overall quality.

And sorry @waftlord, I totally forgot to send notes. Will add some info later here

4 Likes

Wowee, super gratifying to get top 3 in my first outing, thank you all for your votes and kind words.
My sample was the mysterons theme from captain scarlet by the Barry Gray Orchestra, I used 3 chops from this, 2 short and one long…
The remaining melodic element’s were a flute trill chop from bod and rhythmic portion from gadget giving a total of 5 chops, all of these were either pitched or half/double times in serato sample…
Then it was just five drum kit samples from a dilla kit drum rack I have in Ableton… kick, snare, closed hat, shaker, and mark tree…

FX wise I only used some delay from dubstation 2 and a tiny bit of looperator…

11 Likes

Great battle guys. Truly enjoyed listening to everything. Congrats @Yabba and @Symian, loved your beats! Also voted for both of you.

Also great job on the battle rules and hosting @waftlord and @PineappleDave! The limitations really inspired me this battle, it felt freeing in a way to have such a hard limit on the number of samples.

I’m gonna listen to everything again now that I know who did what. I had some guesses before but they were mostly completely off this time :joy:. I did have Dimensionstomorrow, Looms and Yabba guessed sort of correctly though, so shout out to you guys for sounding like yourselves despite the limitations, and also shout out to everyone that ventured into different realms of sound this time!

11 Likes

Thanks @PineappleDave @waftlord @LyingDalai

Great edition!

6 Likes

Thanks all :slightly_smiling_face:
Really enjoyed this battle, with the limitations I actually made more versions of the beat than I usually do strangely enough albeit using exactly the same chops.
As I mentioned before this was my favourite to listen through knowing the limitations set and was also fun trying to spot the shows that were sampled so I hope everyone posts their sources eventually.

I’ve got an idea for a new battle that I’m gonna suggest to @Sleepyhead and @Symian and see what we can come up with if all in agreement.

big shouts to @PineappleDave @waftlord and @LyingDalai for the great concept and help.

5 Likes