Elektronauts dnb/jungle tunes/tips

You can check out Risa Tee on Instagram she makes dnb/jungle on the DT.

5 Likes

Man, your stuff is super dope/inspirational! I constantly workout to drum and bass but don’t make it as much as I would like.

Here’s my only D&B jam that I have on my channel. I noticed you mentioned Beatmaker. Some of the Reese chops on this track were sampled into my DT from old Beatmaker projects.

9 Likes

Nice love the bass, How’d you get the reverse going on it? Ping pong loop?

That first one is dank mate, proper dark, love that second one too, very 90s I’m a sucker for that sesame Street break at the start, plenty of classic tones in there too… :+1:

1 Like

@Symian, nice tunes man!

I’ve noticed that on the DoA forum too. Much better vibe around here

2 Likes

I put this together for the Open Battle 10

So Ive taken 2 or three samples from the list, made the intro drone and chordy pad thing in koala, and sequence that via midi from OT.
Sub bass is an 808 kick sample. (You absolutely will not hear it without proper headphones/speakers)
Other bass lines are old BS2 samples heavily modulated on the OT.
Obvious Amen choppage.

All whipped up on the octatrack. live single take recording through the AH.

I dont particularly care what any one thinks of it. I had fun making it. I’m not a jungle head by a long shot.

14 Likes

Nice piece you put together, definitely got that 90s vibe dialed in. OT is so good for chopping and layering breaks.

3 Likes

I’m more of a hip-hop guy. But I’ve dabbled in jungle. This was my attempt at it. It’s all Digitakt and Digitone.

21 Likes

Can’t upload my tracks for some reason, files are too big, curious how you get that player working?

Have lots of jungle/idm/breakcore sorta stuff made on polyend tracker, digitone, and syntakt.

2 Likes

They have to be less than 10mb. Convert to shitty mp3 for max elektronauts upload.

1 Like

Appreciate that!

1 Like

Syntakt / Polyend Tracker.
syntakt is a recent acquisition, I absolutely love running amens through the fx block making it super crusty with the analog overdrive and through the filters.

Digitone / Polyend Tracker.
More idm/melodic oriented stuff, lots of breaks though. Bit of a hardcore punk influence on second clip. Definitely not final mixes.

13 Likes

Thank for posting your beats guys, nice work, what’s the best practice for chopping beats elektron style I’d like to have a crack in drambo to see if I can emulate it?

@InTheAM what the deal with the vst you posted, whereabouts in the chain does it go for best results?

Personally, I like using the LFO time stretch trick and parameter locking changes to the LFO phase. I have a few videos going over it in detail on my YouTube, but I’ve been meaning to do a new one with some more additions to the trick.

Here, the main thing I’m doing is parameter lock changes of the speed of the LFO and the pitch of the sample for some fills.

10 Likes

Ah thanks Doug, I’ll take a look on your channel and check it out, appreciate the tip :+1:

There is no best practice.
For me I use octatrack. Slice the break and sequence it. Then assign slices to cross fader so I can do mad fills yo…
Also making use of conditional trigs, sample locks, freeze delay, retrig etc for all the jungle goodness. Having the amp env shaped just right is important too. Having it wide open never sounds right. Not on the OT anyway.

What really makes the difference is using uneven breaks. The clip I posted above, uses a 3 bar amen @160. I think I sliced it into 12 slices too.

I always use it as an insert FX on single channels and usually on kick and snare samples, I wanted it for that over driven 90’s percussion sound. It basically that sound in a can, though I have used it for other things. Typically I put it first, but I usually don’t have any other FX on the kick and snare channel–nice, clean 909 kick from Samples from Mars, then a dirty snare from Gold Baby. I’ve also used it on breaks if I want to punch things up into Hardcore territory.

As always, experiment yourself. You probably know or maybe read it on the website but the VST emulates mackie mixer channels from a very commonly used mixer from the 90s that artists tended to just overdrive by turning the volume up and that is were some of “that 90’s sound” comes from.

I do find it hard to get a light touch out of it, but that makes sense to me because of what it is trying to mimic.

1 Like

Thanks man, always nice to hear a use case scenario, I’ve grabbed and I’ll have a play at the weekend… appreciate it👍

1 Like

Happy to help, especially on a DnB/Jungle discussion! They were my first love in dance music though now I can find something to like in almost any flavor.

I think I’ve tried to make something vaguely d&b less than 5 times in my life but this is something I was messing about with last spring and just done a super quick rough (it’s all rough!) sequencing this evening. Apologies in advance for any cliches, bad levels, sloppy timing, boringness etc you hear within. Semi jokes aside though, it’d actually be good to know from any actual heads if anything in it is any good! All done in Live with a bunch of plugs…

18 Likes