Elektronauts dnb/jungle tunes/tips

Heya nauts, starting this thread in hopes that there’s a bit of interest from you guys in making and or sharing some of your jungle/dnb tunes, also maybe a bit of production workflow discussion… I’ll kick off with a couple of mine and I’d love to hear what you guys have been up to as well…

43 Likes

What gear are you using and how much are loops vs. one shots vs. synthesized? Sounds dope as hell. I’ve been on a huge Rasta-MC’d jungle/DnB kick these past few months discovering tons of new and old shit.

1 Like

Thanks man it’s all one shots and synths apart from the amens of course, the first two are all Ableton and the amen track was made and arranged in beatmaker and polished in Ableton, been learning the whole amen choppage thing from stranjahs channel on YouTube and it’s finally clicked…
Synth wise I’m into aparillo, pigments, predator, serum… the usual suspects really, I’m really digging atlas for drums at the moment, it’s really quick for getting kits going… also I’m having fun with FAW sublab for the grimey 808 stuff

Post some beats if you have them, I’m always keen to hear it, it really helps with inspiration trying to disseminate other people’s work👍

1 Like

Frankly, as far as most so-called Jungle/DnB that gets posted on this forum (that I’ve heard anyway) this is on point! My main criticism would be that despite the sampled breaks the production is a little clean for me if you are going for a more Jungle vibe. But fxcking A+ I think you’ve got something to teach us all.

I also love old Bleep n Bass/Hardcore like Acen etc. Bay B Kane also is a fav of mine.

I’m mostly making my tunes in this flavor all on the Toraiz SP-16. All samples/loops. Maybe some Monostation for bass.

2 Likes

Not being a smart arse but probs easier to cruise the thread on the Grid on DOA , really friendly bunch and really good tips and advice etc

3 Likes

Seconded! DoA/the Grid is great.

1 Like

Yeah I hear you I’m still finding my feet as far as the sonics go, I’ve only been getting back into things semi seriously this last two years after a long layoff of about 10 years and even now I’m only copping the odd hour or two when the kids have gone to bed, but yeah it can be hard to get that authentic 90s style vibe going in an all digital environment, thanks for the critique though man sometimes when you listened to the same beat for too long you lose perspective, guess thats one of the pitfalls of doing it all yourself :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I’ve taken a look over there, seems like a harsh crowd to me, I’m not really down with all the “bants”

I fully understand! It isn’t impossible in a digital environment at all. People have told me I mix my tunes like I’m using old gear even when using a DAW. Not sure what that means exactly lol. I’m pretty careful with levels and don’t go overboard with EQ–like, I don’t even use an EQ plug on every mixer track. Only when absolutely needed. Then I push things into a 2-bus chain I’ve come up with for myself. Also don’t usually use a 2-bus EQ either. It is more about choosing samples that already work together frequency wise, then getting the levels right, minimal panning.

Mackity | Airwindows try playing with this I never made DnB or Jungle back in the day on hardware or early trackers, I was still just DJing and dancing. But this is pretty legit. No frills GUI, but I like that.

1 Like

These tunes sound great! I have been getting more in jungle / DnB myself lately as well. So far, I don’t have anything in the way of full tunes, but I am trying to approach things from an improvisational / performance perspective instead of my usual “everything must be 100% planned” way.

As far as workflow goes, I have found the Octatrack do be a really lovely jungle / DnB tool!

2 Likes

Check out Spin Scott on YouTube. He only does live Jungle on MPCs.

He is semi local to me and I’ve seen him many times live. So good.

18 Likes

I’ve not seen it on the Grid at all but then proper UK Jungle isn’t a genteel pursuit maybe lol

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been subbed to his channel for ages, he’s an amazing artist, I’d love to see his programs and how he has things set up, the finger speed is off the scale…

1 Like

Oh cool. Good! : ) Yea, I’ve spoken with him but only briefly to say “enjoyed it.” I have no idea how he does it!

1 Like

Nice! I was hoping it was all Elektron gear so I could swipe some project files! Haha.

1 Like

Hehe yeah I’m yet to embrace the elektron thing, I keep thinking about it but I don’t really gel with drambo which is about as close as it gets software wise. . I was kind hoping there’s be someone chirp up with some digitakt/octo dnb to show me what it’s capable of…:blush:

1 Like

Here’s a couple of rough cuts I did in a live jam.

10 Likes

You can check out Risa Tee on Instagram she makes dnb/jungle on the DT.

5 Likes

Man, your stuff is super dope/inspirational! I constantly workout to drum and bass but don’t make it as much as I would like.

Here’s my only D&B jam that I have on my channel. I noticed you mentioned Beatmaker. Some of the Reese chops on this track were sampled into my DT from old Beatmaker projects.

9 Likes

Nice love the bass, How’d you get the reverse going on it? Ping pong loop?