Elektronauts Beat Battle #21 Library Music - Voting and Feedback

Alright, We had 12 submissions, and here they are!

I had a ton of fun, and I’m glad others were so enthusiastic about it! Can’t wait to hear the results(i have listened to none of the submissions thus far).

• Vote your 3 favorite beats. (first place, second place and third place)
  • First place vote is worth 3 points, second place vote is worth 2 points, third place vote is worth 1 point.

Feedback on all the tracks and why you choose which is strongly encouraged but not required.

Please vote until Sunday, June 11th
(unless y’all think that’s not enough time)

15 Likes

@aarb420
@Yabba
@sleepside
@1-2
@Doug
@wumpushunter

@twobears
@monquixote
@Unifono
@Kuro
@flipinfantile

1 Like

Is this open to all to judge or just contestants?

2 Likes

Whoa so somehow, out of that whole library:

I made two beats from Bruton stuff. The first one, that I didn’t submit, uses the same main sample as one of the submitted tracks.

6 Likes

Let’s goooo! I’ll listen to it with my GF, she’s grown used to it, she even has her own voting list haha (I secretly hope that one day, she will start making beats as well, she has a golden ear for samples…)

2 Likes

Been there too, I didn’t let her know which one was mine till I saw her votes

3 Likes

Thanks for hosting @flippantminister

I can’t listen at the minute as I’m at work, can’t wait to listen when I get back

2 Likes

Man I always think I’ve done something pretty good…

… and then I listen to the playlist.

You are a talented bunch!

7 Likes

I’ve also spotted 3 different tracks using the same sample :rofl:

There was only 300 LPs to choose from

7 Likes

true, but we all started listening from the top and worked our way down until we understood the nature of the reality that is the bruton music catalog…

1 Like

I think it’s also because there were only a small handful that had vocals so I think people have gravitated to those.

yeah i think you’re right

Ah good I don’t feel so daft trying to avoid certain stuff cos I thought others would use use it, now :joy:.

Or maybe I’m one of those that has used what others have, i ain’t heard em yet.

1 Like

Probably the least qualified person to be the first to vote (not even sure if I’m allowed!), but here goes anyway. First up, though they were all awesome, listened to them all in full and made a nice album! I listened to the playlist in reverse order after seeing the playcounts on Soundcloud! I hope any criticism comes across as constructive, if not please just ignore me

12 - nice backbeats, honestly could stand as a tune on its own (not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing in this context?)
11 - liked the sample choice, felt a little too choppy to get into a groove (maybe intentional?)
10 - very satisfying bassline. thought the use of samples was just right (not too big, not too small)
09 - simple but to good effect. particularly liked the progression at 1:10
08 - probably the tune I can most easily hear some rap over the top, did feel a little squashed though, lacking some dynamics maybe?
07 - nice and chill, lovely horns - was getting Lemon Jelly vibes at some points (that’s supposed to be a compliment)
06 - solid loop, nice layering, but I did feel like it was missing some kind of variation particularly in the beat
05 - really liked the dynamics, the chord progression, kinda trippy, although a bit too much in the stereo for me
04 - the mix is a little rough around the edges, but I like that. I think the chops worked, and left space for some bars if someone so desired.
03 - bassline has a really nice tone, but I felt like it dominated a little and could have given some space to your other samples
02 - like the syncopation on the beat, and generally a nice mix. did get a little “full” at times, but felt this was evened out by the empty sections
01 - really nicely balanced samples and dynamics with interesting variation throughout the song

8 Likes

@Yabba damned if you do, damned if you don’t :wink:

I somehow managed to use the same sample as someone else and was initially in agreement with @monquixote on the odds being slim lmao.
:beers: to the talented sampler(s) of Trevor Barstow on Way Ahead, great minds think alike! :rofl:

This is such a x-large battle already, and only three songs in :exploding_head: Kinda neat how it’s the 21st battle, and there are 12 participants. Also, the song order is playing like an awesome mixtape!

Thanks @flippantminister and @everyone for the inspirational flavors, and thanks again for letting me join in late! Really enjoyed working on this one and wish I caught it sooner!

5 Likes

2 Likes

Nice one. Thanks for reminding of this, so much good music to forget about and come back to

2 Likes

Just had a first flip through, really nice work as usual everyone.
Hope you all don’t mind, that’s getting saved to me beat tape folder

4 Likes

Had a first listen while going to work this morning… Level is insanely high, you guys have level’d up like mad since the earliest battles! Wasn’t too confident in my track, but now, I’m full on “I swear it’s not mine…”. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes