Elektronauts Beat Battle #11: As far back as I can remember I wanted to be a Gangster #HipHop

For this one, what I did was listen to the playlist for any parts I wanted to use. Then I went back through and listened to the tracks I had sort of mentally highlighted, this time recording the little bits that I wanted into Audacity. From there, I saved those to my phone and messed around with them in Koala.

My Digitakt is my favorite piece of gear. There’s nothing I feel more connected with. But I don’t always like starting a beat on my Digitakt unless I know how I want to come at it. And I think Koala is great for me as a sketch pad but as a standalone thing it doesn’t really fit with the way that I like to make beats. So sometimes I’ll come up with an outline on Koala and then recreate it and flesh it out on the Digitakt.

So that’s what I did. I put the beat together as a pattern and then arranged it around the acapella that I chose.

Also, one shot sampling is great too. I think I’m going to try to build one of my alternates around that. My last beat for one of these wasn’t exactly hip-hop but it was all one shots and came out pretty cool, I think.

One thing I generally don’t do is delete projects though. Especially for something like this. I’d just work in the same one.

9 Likes

Lol I haven’t even started. Guess I need to turn the MPC on and go to work.

Cool track process breakdown @Doug.

2 Likes

Done and submitted, I’ve really enjoyed this one, another serato sample session for me, something about it’s flexibility just clicks for me and makes it easier to find something useable, I’m excited to hear your critique and to hear all your submissions to see if anyones got a different interpretation of the the same sample I chose… bring on the heat…:metal:

3 Likes

I didn’t say it was easy :slightly_smiling_face:

I practiced this for a long time in the past ten years. Cutting up samples, finger drumming, arranging. Make acapellas fit, mix the track… Many hours with ableton, maschine etc trying to learn these easy to learn but hard to master techniques.

I‘m not particularly good at any of them, it just became routine so I can get something finished if I have to.
Often not so easy, this time I had the luck to quickly find samples that speak to me :slightly_smiling_face:

Just keep learning, we all do

5 Likes

I really should try this one, seems to be super popular

1 Like

It’s really good. One of my all-time favorites.

1 Like

Killer theme on this one, but I’m going to have to sit it out this time. I just got a new piece of gear so all my extra time is going to that at the moment. I can’t wait to hear everyone’s beats though. I imagine this one will be epic!

2 Likes

Yes mate, if you’re kicking it inside the box it’s pretty much the best thing out there, not just a one trick pony to, you can use it for all sorts of stuff, even drones or as an instrument from single sampled notes… in that respect it’s awesome…

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good thing to mention too. I’ve been making beats as a hobby for, and I regret doing the math on this, 22 years now.

8 Likes

Just finished my track, and submitted it to myself :joy:

I loved this theme, watched the movie again last night and it felt great to hear all the samples from the playlist I had considered or tried to use come along.

I used my AR/sp404mk2 combo to make this one and I gotta say, those 2 are a beast together now that a firmware update solved the midi crashing. I had lots of fun making this.

7 Likes

Found out my trial period for serato sample ended long time ago without even trying :upside_down_face:
Found a deal and bought it. Looking forward to use it in ableton

2 Likes

Put it in a drum rack that’s the easiest way to use it if you have a push at your disposal :+1:

what kind of deal, and is it still active? my trial is probably expired, too.

It’s discounted on plugin boutique at the moment…:+1: black Friday is always the best time to grab it though, I paid full price back when it got released and still smile through gritted teeth whenever I see it on sale… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

bought it here. 30 Euros less
Better than full price :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Owned push three times, but now I‘m a maschine fanboy.
Will figure out a workflow, it’s fine from the keyboard for me too :slight_smile: the random chops feature and generally the time stretching seems really great

Ah well it’s just as good in maschine too, I was using maschine when I first got it as well… enjoy…:+1:

1 Like

Done. Turned out better than I thought. :smiley:

2 Likes

ha! checked yesterday, and the deal was valid. today it’s not. guess i’ll wait.

1 Like

Black Friday is usually half price mate, hang tight and you’ll get it for 49 bucks :+1:

2 Likes