Elektron PSU-3c

i decided to buy another elektron psu because my 3b was dead silent, which i find to be super rare. they only have 3c on offer, and the one i got is pretty loud, sadly.

im certain that its the brick and not the power strip or anything else.
its a sample of 1 for each model, so i cant tell if all newer models are like that.

to clarify, i have sensative hearing, which is both blessing and a curse.
dissapointed in the quality i got with the new C brick, but also super happy to have B thats good!
too much hassle for me to send things back so i kept it as a spare.

rn im just curious if i should be on a lookout for 3bs. i could use them for a few other devices that accept 12v.

1 Like

the most important things are the polarity of the tip needs to match the device you’re powering, the mah must be sufficient, and the voltage must not exceed the max but it needs to match if you want it to work, if the voltage exceeds the device voltage you will soon see the magic smoke. Otherwise, I don’t see why not. You can get adapter tips or solder on a new tip pretty easily. Elektron 3b is center positive so I wouldn’t go powering a guitar pedalboard full of center negative pedals with it, that’s a road to ruin. I think the 3b must be a great design, both of mine are very quiet. for perspective I bought new surge protectors recently because I couldn’t handle the old one, some devices made it whine worse than others but it was getting to be too much and other people didn’t seem to really notice or care.

2 Likes

I have a 3c with both my ‘21 OT and ‘22 DN. Both seem to work fine and I do like the smaller design.

1 Like

Okay, there is a slightly perceptible noise but only if I hold my ear up to the unit. I have pretty good hearing but also haven’t had more than an hour with the ST (using headphones). Will report back if the noise becomes more noticeable!

1 Like

I would confirm that it’s a 3b before i paid $50 for it but it looks like they have some new old stock here
Elektron Power Supply PSU-3: 12 V power supply for Elektron products | Reverb

at least the pictured item is 3b

thank you! strange listing tho, which model is even on the second pic?
saddly i am limited to local deals only rn. and im not in a rush so, if i see one pop up near me, i grab :tongue:

1 Like

super hi fi enhancement technique. I usually go off what’s written in the listing, a lot of these companies use file photos and don’t post real images of new products anyways.

looks like it’s for mk1 octatrack, not sure what else. probably mk1 analog 4 and analog rytm. but I think thats just a stock picture like I said.