Elektron Pattern Clips! Now with Arrangement Mode!

Yes. The Max patch has scripts that create associations only with the track it’s loaded on. Each device is independent and you can use as many as you like.

This seems like there is probably some outside source causing the issue.

The conversion from clip name to program change is relatively simple. The name is filtered and matched to a list in a database. The corresponding program change is transmitted when the name is matched.

To rule out outside problems you can simplify down to just the Octatrack and pattern clips in a new project.

Try switching back forth between two empty patterns on the Octatrack and see if the problem persists.

It’s possible you are sending program changes in a loop through the Octatrack. Check to see if you have the MIDI out of the Octatrack (or another device) connected to the computer and try disabling MIDI inputs to the computer.

The last thought is to try another MIDI interface and/or cable if available. Some cheaper MIDI interfaces can’t handle program changes, sysex, and cc messages well.

2 Likes

You were right, the issue was the crappy MIDI signal coming out of my Esi U168XT. I connected the OT using a dedicated usb->midi cable (Roland somethingsomething…) and it works like a charm now.

Amazing stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome! Happy to hear you got it figured out :slight_smile:

Hey @Airyck,
Are you still planning on inserting the trick to make ableton scenes follow an elektron device with pattern changes?
I am serious that this would be a game changer for me! It would make it possible to rearrange some things in my setup and it would be awesome :smiley:
Do you have a rough estimation about when you would do this?

1 Like

You can get it to work by downloading bome midi translator (it’s free) and mapping the program changes to keystrokes then using key mapping in ableton and assign those keys to launch scenes…

Just watch a couple tutorials on YouTube on bome midi translator how to use it,
Should only take an hour to figure out how to do it

1 Like

I think I might make this a separate device. Lots going on so hopefully I’ll have some time sooner than later.

Tuesday… :smiley:

3 Likes

Awesome!! I was hoping on a few weeks :slight_smile:

super !!!
let’s hope it’s my case

I guess I can’t use the Tuesday joke when I’m the developer :joy:

It’ll be a little longer than that, sorry. I don’t have an exact date right now.

4 Likes

we await a short illustrative video … because at first glance, I personally understood little :sorriso_sudore: :rofl:

1 Like

Tried it on the Cycles, works great! Maybe a bit buggy when moving stuff around in arrangement view (for example: when i remove a clip, it sometimes still changes to the pattern of that clip when the playhead crosses, even when the clip has been deleted)

But the basic stuff worrks. That’s great, because when I use the Samples and Cycles together, they often won’t stay in sync when I change patterns (most of the time the slave does another round before changing patterns)

Thx!

1 Like

I believe in the thread somewhere he explains that you need to refresh the database that’s built in order for changes to the arrangement to work.

2 Likes

This is correct in the case that it’s not behaving as expected.

Moving things around should delete old parts but if it doesn’t then you can just select the clips one by one in the problem area to fix the issue.

The trick to not having problems in arrangement view is to not have any empty spaces between pattern clips in arrangement view.

If you create an empty space by deleting a pattern clip, lengthen the previous clip to fill the empty space. Doing this updates the database and deletes any pattern starts that used to be in the area.

Having let this stew for a long time I’ve re-thought the arrangement functionality and think I have a way to make it work better.

The next update will have the new way of dealing with arrangement view and should not need any fixing by the user.

2 Likes

Here’s a visual from the instructions in the first post:

2 Likes

Thank you! This is a real enhancer for me. Great work! All the best from Berlin

1 Like

You’re welcome! Thanks for taking the time to say so :grin:

1 Like

Great Work!!! Thanks a lot!!!

1 Like

What this would make possible is to have a different master chain for each song! I use ableton live only as audio mixer with 1 project for everything, live’s transport doesn’t even play…

With this device and another here in de video, there is possibilities opening up :slight_smile: and off course many more infinite possibilities if you integrate ableton more than that…

This is no small thing!

3 Likes

@Airyck I just tried pattern clips for a few minutes, very nice. I have one thing I wanted to test and I’m still not sure if it works properly, my brain can’t follow: If I create 3 clips A1 A2 A3, and set A2 and A3 as follow actions for A1, so that ableton plays A2 or A3 via randomization after A1, does the pattern clips device handle this correctly? I’m new to ableton so I dont know at what time/if at all the next clip is available/selected for devices in the chain to consume/read/process, so it would be nice if you could comment.

@AdamJay or other mods: can you merge this in the Elektron Pattern Clips thread?

@phylixz

In short, Yes it should be able to handle that correctly.
Pattern clips looks for the next clip to be “armed” and sends the pattern change slightly before it changes to the next pattern.

When you do a follow action the next clip that is about to start playing has a blinking play button. That means it’s armed and the message will be sent.

Just be aware that your Elektron device will still need to finish playing its pattern before it changes to the next pattern. So it’s good to match your pattern lengths on your Elektron device to the length of your follow actions (or vice versa).

2 Likes