Elektron multi-power supply unit in 2023

I’m pretty sure I bought those exact cords myself, then mounted my surge protector under my desk, mounted some wire clips near it, wired up my 4 Elektron devices, and ran the excess cable through a cable raceway, connected everything (mainly just power and USB), and tidied it all up using Velcro ties.

Outside of audio cables I use in special cases for routing (that I’m actually removing soon) it’s pretty clutter free.

Hi,

I’m using this one, one button power with two 12V, one 9V and 5V / usb. Currently powering DT/DN with splitter cable, ST and Minilab 3 :

Shanqiu Mini UPS Onduleur Alimentation de Secours pour Router, Modem, Caméra de Sécurité, Entrée DC Sortie 5V USB 5V 9V 12V 2A 3.5A DC (74Wh) https://amzn.eu/d/9CyELhd

I can’t be certain of the exact power draw during standard operation (one would assume it wouldn’t work or lights would dim if power was insufficient), but I do know they advise not to do hard shutdown/power on cycles, you’re supposed to wait 30 seconds between powering on and then shuting down, and also between shut down then powering back on. Someone here referred to it as “the 30 second rule”.

What that would mean is if the first device will do a forced restart at the surge of the second powering on, you should stage your startup procedure and wait 30 seconds between turning the first one on, and then turning the second one on, so that the restart of the first device falls outside of the “hard power cycle” as elektron recommends.

Thomann’s own-brand power supply line has some interesting models. This one has 3x12v and 2x18v outputs, all at 300mA, which is a bit tight, but might be ok for some devices.

1 Like

That’s a heck of a deal, but full-fat Elektrons like the DT and A4 need at least 1A. But I might pick one up for pedals…

1 Like

I recently learned that some pedalboard PSU’s outputs can be combined with parallel cables to double the current. At least CIOKS are offering such a cable for their devices. 2x 12V 500mA = 1x 12V 1A for example.
There’s a video somewhere which shows BIM, BAM and BOUM powered all together from a DC7.

1 Like

I wouldn’t hold my breath, the two are not analogous.

Elektron buys higher quality power supplies that meet their needs. They do not develop their own from the ground-up.