Elektron multi-power supply unit in 2023

Or maybe some other manufacturer will! Like a brand that specializes in power supplies, like Anker or something.

I would love to consolidate power… I’ve managed to do it for all USB-powered stuff, but for everything else I actually have a power conditioner sitting right on my desk for things that I swap out. Power is definitely a pain!

3 Likes

I bought a 7.5 amp 12 volt power brick that was left over from some guys security camera system, the end is 5.5x2.1 so it fits a guitar pedal daisy chain but from the chain to Elektron devices 2.5 adapter is required. Elektron device psu is rated at 2 amps (2000mah) but I’ve never measured the actual draw. 7.5 amps is plenty for 3 boxes in practice, in theory possibly 4.

“channel well technology co. LTD”

model: cam090121

center positive.

I think I paid something ridiculous like $7 for it plus shipping, and I’m pretty sure he has more. He sent it out fast and had good communication. If you want the link to where I bought it, shoot me a message.

2 Likes

Yup. Just checked. That’s a shame!

1 Like

I’ve decided just to velcro the central bricks of the three power supplies together and use these 12" IEC cords to connect them to a rackmount Furman above the desk. Less than ideal but it will save a lot of space versus extra wrapped-up cables at least.

1 Like

you could do that, no reason not to.

2 Likes

Sep 2022

edit: ah, already mentioned

Always looking for elegant, minimal design solutions… but sometime you have to compromise.

Yeah, fuhrman is solid no question. If you decide you want simple and cheap let me know and I’ll find the link where I bought this power supply from.

1 Like

It was more recent, yes, but was more concerned with Digi-format boxes which draw less power.

It’s funny tho (now that I’ve scrolled) that the second-to-last post was the same ghetto-tech solution I’m going with… except mine will have shorter IEC cables (and a Furman.)

It IS rather crazy that there’s not a simple solution for this yet… like what the Conductive Labs MRCC is for midi, but for power distribution of studio setups.

There’s this, but it’s pricey, out of stock, UK based and not sure if it’s enough juice? They make amazing pedals for guitar. All valve based so rather power greedy

Nice guys and sure they would help on email etc.

Edit. Sorry! No, it’s only 1250ma

Specifications
• Operates anywhere on planet Earth where 110- 250V AC power is available.
• Supplied with IEC mains power cable and 4 × very heavy duty 5.5mm × 2.1mm pedal leads.
• 4 × isolated 12VDC @ 1250mA outputs (linear regulated and heavily filtered–super quiet).
• One of the outputs can be configured to power
9VDC center negative pedals (600mA max.). • Short circuit/overload protection protects tube
pedals from damage.
• Power requirements: 110 – 240VAC @ 60
Watts.
• Dimensions: width 7.5"; depth 4.8"; height 1.5"
• Weight: 1lb14oz (on Earth); 4lb 12oz (on Jupiter) • Construction: Solid die-cast aluminum box.
• Finish: dark graphite powder coat.

1 Like

It is indeed pricey, but looks like it could do the job? I like the weight on Jupiter spec too :+1:

1 Like

In deed and in title…

1 Like

I use this:

to power all 3 Digi boxes, an iPad Air 4, 2 Faderfoxes, and sometimes a Launchpad Pro MKIII. I bought the USB-C PD cables off of AliExpress for a fraction of the cost of the Birdcords. I bet the 200w one could do even better.

2 Likes

I have one of those (not that brand) but I plug more than 2 things in and it gets coil whine like a mofo.

2 Likes

Looks like they also sell an expander to this one that gives a single 12v 2a output. But then that’s getting just as messy as 3 elektron psus.

1 Like

I would not buy Blippityboodoo named generic PSUs for multiple expensive synths. It’s such a gamble with Amazon’s bazaar of crap.

2 Likes

Practically speaking, if you had a four outlet power board/strip that you put in a box with the psus, with three holes in the box for the DC cables and one hole for the AC input cable, is it then just a size/bulk issue?

1 Like

Yep, mainly. I have cable management ties and metal shelves that go under the desk to try to hide it all, but it’s still a lot to deal with.

2 Likes

Not on mine! No whine, no hiss, no noise, no fuss!

1 Like

When I had loads of gear, these looked pretty handy (uk 3 pin plugs can be quiet bulky and then some power supplies will have the cable coming out the top, others out the bottom, so took even more space.) maybe not so important in the US as I think your plugs are quite small by comparison?

https://www.dcdi.co.uk/iec-c13-horizontal-1u-pdu?of_tid=MFRWG5B5HE3SMZTFMVSESZB5GITHA4TPMREWIPJSGA4DI&gclid=CjwKCAjwx_eiBhBGEiwA15gLN9y3-mgeZ_NO5gVz0OUN5b4GbhZZtccbSZhxTREiKK9vYxwYnlihDxoCKMMQAvD_BwE&model=W121200

1 Like