Elektron might be cooking something up for the Octatrack

Yes that are some, although for me the x-fader is icing on the cake. The modularity of OT’s sampling is the core (for me).

And another overlooked feature, NO send effects, each effect being unique to each track. I’m guessing this is why they have maxed out the DSP on OT, just the dark reverb for all it’s fallacies probably caps a lot of the DSP.

So if they decide to go the send effect route (which they have done on every device after OT) then it won’t be OT imo.

3 Likes

Totally agreed. But I think it’s definitely doable wrt to coding for a flagship.

Actually the more I think about it, the more features come to mind^^ :laughing:

Well I hope not. That would leave out all 8 stereo channels over OB.

Yeah of course, from my experience everything’s possible, it’s just a matter of what you are willing to pay for it…

1 Like

The digitakt is much more of a Rytm lite, but with finer sample control.

I for one expect something completely leftfield. The elektron modular. Every page has multiple machines to choose from. Neighbor tracks for everyone. Peace on earth.

1 Like

Ooh and 4 mono inputs… still 10 years after nobody has done that!

I wonder why? Are there some behind the scenes implications of having so many inputs routed to the sampling engine?

The more I discuss this I realize how truly special OT is… time to buy a deck saver for it :smile:. Cause it is never leaving me

3 Likes

You need a DSP chip that can handle the input.
OTs chip wasn’t there yet at that time. The current chips in the 1010music gear (see Bluebox) are getting there now, so elektron should be not far behind, if not ahead already.

2 Likes

Whatever it is it better have extensive cv outs (ins??) on it.

707 can use all four ins like you want.

1 Like

I was thinking in terms of what @MichaalHell said about trying to develop on top of an old framework. From what I’ve read Elektron seem to be reluctant to overhaul all the old code and make serious changes. So if they were doing a bottom-up new development, something that incorporates some OT concepts (with a bit more mass-market appeal) might be financially more feasible than the total overhaul of a pretty niche product. So not an Octa MK3, but a variation of the theme. It could still cover a lot of ground that DT doesn’t. They can of course keep selling the Octa as well :wink:.

3 Likes

An OT based on a new DSP chip /CPU would make sense.
A lot has happened in that area in the last 10 years.
But it looks like the industry standard Codec chips are usually limited to 10 channels (in or out):

OT:
Cirrus Logic CS42432-CMZ audio codec:
24-bit ADC x4/DAC x6
DAC sampling rate up to 192KHz
ADC sampling rate up to 96KHz

source

source: http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=2&func=view&catid=9&id=42002

Blackbox/Bluebox:
ADAC by Cirrus Logic CS42528-CQZ 2xAD, 8xDA @24bit/192kHz

source

https://forum.1010music.com/forum/products/blackbox/general-discussion-blackbox/15748-hardware-spec-3x-stereo-dacs-or-4x-stereo-dacs

Follow up: both chips are still in production, so probably not that far apart in time.
The largest amount of channels available in this range is 14. Translated to Octatrack architecture, that would mean 3 stereo ins and 3 stereo outs plus a headphone out.

source

https://www.cirrus.com/#psearch_T140

3 Likes

In an alternate universe as a major Elektron shareholder, I would attend every board meeting, presenting any conceivable graph and statistic, demanding that an OT mk3 would be money in the bank, every month, not to mention annual meetings, for infinity, until it happens.

1 Like

During the board meeting Ozone proceeded to write

OCTATRACK MKIII

On a whiteboard. After a brief moment of silence, he started crossing out the letters C

O€TATRA€K MKIII

The project was greenlit the same day.

12 Likes

You speak true words fellow engineer.
Especially with an iconic instrument like the OT.

2 Likes

Hmm, I don’t think a OT mk3 or version 2 would be a huge seller personally - the die hard Elektronauts would love it, but outside of this sphere it seems that most people don’t want a super flexible performance sample mangler, they just want gigs of sounds and good pads, mostly.

There is a video made by a pretty talented and knowledgable youtuber, where he has used most of the current crop of sampling sequencers, no doubt he knows his stuff, and his videos are pretty good, but even he does not really “get” the Octatrack, because he believes that an MPC can mangle just as well - you could say well that is just personal preference, but if you consider mangling to be realtime manipulation of multiple samples then it is pretty clear that OT has MPC beat on that score.

The OT is fairly unique in its specific strengths, lots of other gear can do some of or even more than it can do, but none can do exactly what it can do, IMHO.

LONG LIVE THE OCTATRACK!

9 Likes

A MK3 would live even longer.

Seriously though, would be interesting if we could have a poll and see out of a selection of Mk3’s and new Elektron instrument possibilities, which one would be the most popular request.

I’d be all for a next-gen OT device.
I had the A4 mk2 BK for three weeks and although the interface seems really similar to that of OT’s, it felt much more robust, simple and finished. Next to it the OT feels more like a beta version of a good software. But that might be due to its higher complexity…

Just to give my 2cents here:

• There were several announcements, comments and clarifications from Elektron employees that the OT is fully fleshed out to the max and that there won‘t be a redesign or anything like that in the future

• The company has clearly gone in another direction with the Digi- and the Model-linage. Why dropping all the development with OB even not fully finished to throw out a new product based on their most niche and experimental approach from 20 years ago?

• The design team behind their products has significantly changed, one of the „main“ drives, Daniel Trøberg, works for ASM now, and the OT was a very courageous and risky product to develop even back then. It was pioneering in a direction that no other developers have ever dared to step in: A performance oriented, mega flexible sampler with a complex effects- and audioprocessing-engine in a single instruments. Many people, up until now, are still „not getting“ that thing, even the programmers who optimized it in the last years came to the point of just adding stuff and not significantly changing anything

So why should a company like Elektron go that route now? It would be a financial risk, it would only please the „hardcore“ artistic and experimental nerds amongst us and totally miss their new focus group: People urging to get easily accessible and fully hands-on grooveboxes. Whoever wants to move on from the OT or needs more complexity and flexibility should definitely not wait for Elektron to serve those needs, but move on to other platforms or territories like DSP-programming, Max/MSP or Eurorack approaches.

So in other words: We should appreciate and celebrate all those new routes that this little box has show to us. I don‘t have an OT anymore, but it has significantly changed my mindset and my way of sounddesign and performance. It has definitely had a sustaining impact on how I start projects, shape sounds and experiment. And that is truly inspiring…

2 Likes

No argument from me, I just don’t think it likely :+1:

2 Likes