Elektron at NAMM 2018

To be honest I expect something completely different, something more revolutionary. Not so much a device, rather a process which causes new machines from the factory to arrive at their new masters without loose or sticky buttons, without random crashes or without the entire machine going haywire at the press of a button. The rumored name is “Quality Control”, but please note that this is entirely speculative and unconfirmed as of now. It’ll be accompanied by another process called “continuous delivery”, where both new features and bug fixes are rolled out continuously and not only when the moon is in the seventh house. Again, mere speculation on my behalf. I expect two levels, free and premium, but a little different this time. Customers preordering will get the standard service level at a small premium. This will include a number of software bugs and a fair chance of scoring a dodgy unit. Customers who will jump on the bandwagon later, will pay a reduced price and receive machines which have gone through the premium process. As they will have paid less, their chances of getting a faulty device or running into annoying bugs will obviously be smaller. Ahhh, I feel I could start my own boutique electronic instruments company today!

12 Likes

where’s that from?

Digitakt announcement back in the day.

1 Like

This is like the Voldemort of development. If we don’t speak of it, perhaps it won’t be real.

1 Like

Analog Eight / Twelve (maybe with keys)???
Digifm
Digimod

A 6581/8580 reissue/emulation for a new Sidstation would definitely welcome

2 Likes

MK2 boxes and Digitakt on display and a big roll up with “Overbridge - soon”

2 Likes

Hoping for this. We don’t need new hardware, just focus on the existing machines and software updates. Especially the DT.

1 Like

I actually think there’s a place in the market for a proper, shameless digital groove box, Elektron style.

Analog’s great, but so is a lot of tracks, fx, voices and stuff. If anything came out with the character of the OP-1 but the muscles of the Elektron, I can’t see anything competing with it. We all know what a proper analog sounds like now. Our romance with this revival is over. The number of analog options out there, are enormous and great.

But there are no decent, digital swinging machines as far as I can see, one that crunches, glitches and crackles in a way that a Moog never could. We want one of them now, okay?

13 Likes

Blend these two babies in one box :smiley:

11 Likes

Very true.

There are fantastic 80’s/90’s digital synths/samplers/FX whose sonic charm is as a direct result of lower quality sample/bit rates.

The reason I no longer possess them is due to their bulk, antiquated storage methods (in the case of samplers) and faded screens/backlight.

An ESQ-1/EPS; DW/Wavestation; VS/3000; Studio 440; CZ style hybrid synth/sample engine (with dialable bit reduction) with an Octatrack/DT sequencer in a compact box with an SPX/Quadraverb/SE50 (or two) plus multiple outputs and I’m in.

In fact, what I’ve just described is an Ensoniq ASRX… goes off to look at eBay…

1 Like

*fixed

3 Likes

Bluetooth keyboards suck and Bluetooth should be turned off on a computer doing MIDI sequencing as it can mess with the clock timing. Wired all the way!

1 Like

There is a high probability of something like this happening, given the discovery that Elektron patented the name Digitone, the fact that a lot of people are asking for a digital synth and how Dataline recently commented here on how he’d had enough of mono synths (unless he was having a laugh).

3 Likes

I use OT as master generally. since that post I’ve not really been using the keyboard to reduce desk junk but when using it I never found any clock problems, might be cause computer is never master though. Good to know anyway

what software is running on the computer? On my Mac, slaving Live to my AR resulted in horrible timing issues.

I use logic as an instrument rack or NI standalone apps mostly. I’m pretty sure live is renowned for timing issues, or at least was at one point. I’m unsure if they’ve resolved it now. I tried to give live a go seeing as it’s so widely used but I just found myself too set into logic, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it as they say. The missus bought me a maschine for Christmas unexpectedly so I’m digging into that at the moment for creating, then exporting to logic for mixing or sampling into the OTs

1 Like

I got a Maschine MK2 (price drop thanks to mk3) recently and really digging it, apart from the official software installation method (which I had to bypass - Native Access is a stack of excrement). I think I’ll be leaving Live soon and clocking things from the AR with Maschine doing the MIDI sequencing.

2 Likes

i just hope that digitone is not simpler than monomachine

4 Likes

I hope the Digitone has parameter slide, unlike the Digitakt. It would truly be a shame if the synthesis parameters aren’t capable of smoothly slewing into one another when using parameter locks.

11 Likes