Elektroid, a GNU/Linux transfer application for Elektron devices

Sorry, I somehow understood you already had one.

I’m really curious about this. Perhaps I could borrow one and try it myself.

That would be great, I wait for changing my PC

I have an old ARM Chromebook, but I’m not sure how to cross-compile elektroid for it to try it out. If I find time to figure that out I’ll let you know …

Isn’t it possible to compile it directly from a terminal Inthe Chromebook?

Elektroid runs on ARM and I read somewhere than a Chromebook can run both Android apps and desktop apps.

I don’t think there’s a compiler in the default ChromeOS repo. I used to run a proper linux distro on it, from an SD card, and that included a full dev environment with gcc, but I need to re-image that SD card to get it working again.

A proper GNU/Linux distro will definitely work, I guess.

What we don’t know for sure is if Elektroid can run on top of Chrome OS.

I’ve tried to set up a VM with an Chromium OS image but I’ve got no luck.

Well I could build it on the “proper” distro, and then try the binaries after rebooting to ChromeOS. But it’s hypothetical right now, I’ll let you know if I find time to do it.

1 Like

Edit: this post refers to using a normal x86_64 machine, I haven’t done the ChromeOS tests discussed above …

Pleased to report that Elektroid 2.0 worked perfectly for OS upgrades over USB:

• Analog Heat mki to OS 1.21C
  • Analog Four mkii to OS 1.51C
  • Digitone Keys to OS 1.32
BOOTSTRAP UPGRADE
    COMPLETE
PLEASE RESTART ME

Transferring sounds and projects works as expected after the upgrade (although I only tested that on the A4mk2 and DK, not the AH).

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting this!

1 Like

i soon gonna have a chromebook so i’m give a try for the m:s :nerd_face:

1 Like

Don’t. This is a trap.

As i can see it seems to work, try it soon…

I’m gonna try that…

so i can install linux on chromebook, i install elektroid with the only method i understand so i gtot elektroid but it don’t recognise my m:s?

1 Like

Could you run elektroid -vv and post here the output?

DEBUG:utils.c:230:(get_local_startup_path): Using /home/lobeaufils as local dir…
DEBUG:audio.c:255:(audio_init): Initializing audio…
ERROR:connector.c:1713:(connector_fill_card_elektron_devices): Cannot determine device number: Inappropriate ioctl for device
DEBUG:elektroid.c:140:(elektroid_load_devices): Loading devices…
DEBUG:elektroid.c:944:(elektroid_stop_load_thread): Stopping load thread…
DEBUG:audio.c:207:(audio_connect_callback): Sink index: 0
DEBUG:audio.c:58:(audio_write_callback): Writing 5760 frames…
DEBUG:audio.c:67:(audio_write_callback): Canceled
DEBUG:audio.c:326:(audio_set_volume): Setting volume to 1.000000…
this is what it told me, thx for the input :wink:

ERROR:connector.c:1713:(connector_fill_card_elektron_devices): Cannot determine device number: Inappropriate ioctl for device

That message do not match the line in the master branch and looks like you’re using tag 1.3. Could you double check if you’re using the master branch or the 2.0 tag?

yes it’s 1.3 on info, don’t know how to install 2.0, i just succeed to install that…

Try downloading version 2.0 or performing a git clone https://github.com/dagargo/elektroid.git if you want to checkout the git project.

1 Like

sudo apt install automake libasound2-dev libgtk-3-dev libpulse-dev libsndfile1-dev libsamplerate0-dev libtool autopoint gettext
i run that, it worked but nothing changed, still on 1.3
i’m a complete newbie on linux