Elektroid, a GNU/Linux transfer application for Elektron devices

Right now, the master branch provides project and sound transfer capabilities for every Elektron device the same way Elektron Transfer does.

But as I can only test it on a Digitakt I can’t be sure 100 %.

No official release yet though.

1 Like

Has anyone here tried Elektroid with an Analog Four? It’s the only machine I have no working confirmation.

Release is really close and I just want to close a few loose ends.

Will try it with my A4 soon, been a while since I used this tool actually.

Anything in particular you need checked with it?

Not really. Just wanted to know if projects and sounds transfers work properly or if is there an issue with the device.

So far able to import/export objects, browse my sounds, upload/download them. Seems to be working beautifully.

Also great work on it, so glad to see love on this. Just had to pull out a Windows laptop earlier today to do a transfer.

2 Likes

Nice to know it’s working well. Thanks for taking the time to test it.

:heart:

1 Like

Hi ! Thank you so much for your commitment on Elektroid ! Much appreciated !
I hope Elektron will provide us with firmware updates for the Model series too ! Such a great piece of hardware which could be significantly better with not that much more work IMHO :slight_smile:

Cheers & happy new year !

1 Like

Hi, fellow elektronauts!

After a long time, Elektroid 2.0 is out!

Basically, this version adds support for all the Elektron machines already supported by Transfer as well as all the different data types in them and makes the transfer format fully compatible with Elektron sound banks.

It’s been confirmed to work with all the current products plus the MKI versions, but I have no confirmation about any Analog Heat.

These are another minor improvements.

• Add functionalities including firmware upgrade to elektroid-cli to match the ones the GUI has.
  • Let CLI be built independently from the GUI (useful for small or embedded systems).
  • Speed up some operations.
  • Add Portuguese (Brazilian) translations.
  • Store preferences in disk (Auto Play and last visited local directory).
  • New icons.
  • Improve audio playback (now playback is done in its own thread).
  • Refactor all the different transfer operations under a common API.

It’s been a lot of work and many people have contributed one way or another. So thank you all very much for your contributions!

I hope you enjoy this.

9 Likes

A big thank you !! :slight_smile:
Just saw this cool youtuber is using Elektroid :wink:

2 Likes

I installed Elektroid but it cannot connect to my Digitone.
The device is displayed in the list but nothing happens when i select it.

Edit: I have to start it from the terminal then it works (??).

Can’t I transfer .syx? The explorer window don’t see them. I could transfer a project but don’t understand how the sounds work within Elektroid.

Right to the device combo there is a transfer type combo. Digitone implements sound and project transfers so in that combo you should see these 2 options. These are the recommended options and should work right now. Let me know if they don’t.

Be that as it may, it’s possible to transfer SysEx files from the application menu. But this won’t work in batch, like all the other transfers, and won’t be available when other transfers are running.

I found the three dots menu to transfer Sysex files (that was not so obvious).

I was actually trying to transfer .syx that were like projects (3.5MB/file) and could see some patterns being transfered on the DN but could not find them. For some other files I just encountered an error like they were not zip files.
Their author shared them as .dnprj and now it is working.

Is the DN exporting projects as .syx that we can’t re-import as such afterwards?

It’s the GNOME way nowadays. The less common actions are there.

You don’t need to use the SysEx transfers at all. The Elektron format for project, sound and preset is a zip file containing a binary file (not SysEx) and a JSON file. In sampling devices, sounds and projects include the used samples too. This is what the dnprj and other files are and it’s the type of file Transfer and Elektroid work with.

When using SysEx, patterns go to the project they are in IIRC. But if you copy a project from the Elektroid UI, it should create a dnprj file.

To me, the UI is quite clean and mimics Elektron Transfer but if you have some suggestions we can discuss them.

2 Likes

Does this work on Chromebook?

Never tried but I think it could work as Chrome OS is based on Gentoo.

Whenever I buy DN sound packs they come as .syx files, i don’t have access to individual sounds (.dnsnd).

That’s what i thought but i could not find the created patterns, they were empty.

Correct.

The UI is super clear as it is now, it is just that i am not clear on how to upload packs (.syx) and where some patterns went (but regarding this, it has been solved with the .dnprj files).
For example, there is a Pluck Chord syx file in the Digitone Files section on Elektronauts that i’m not able to see/upload. Faulty file?

1 Like

I asked that because transfer is obligated for transfer sample to model: sample… and there’s no transfer version for Chromebook…

Perhaps it’s an Elektroid fault.

Let’s check if sending and receiving works.

1. Create a new pattern and input some random stuff.
  2. To receive a SysEx, click on Receive SysEx.
  3. Send the pattern from the settings menu. When Elektroid had received it, it will ask you to save it on disk.
  4. Then, clear the pattern.
  5. Send the saved SysEx message with Elektroid.
  6. Check if the pattern is what did on step one.

Once this is checked to work, let’s repeat it with a project.

BTW, a SysEx project is not a single massive SysEx message but a set of messages. In fact, there will be a message for every pattern among other things.

Yeah, I can imagine. Only Windows and OSX are officially supported. But this is what Elektroid is for.

It would be very nice if could give it a try. It has to work I think.

I’m not gotta give a try to a Chromebook until i’m sure it works, sorry