Electronic/Sythesized Hip Hop/Rap Beat challenge

Good stuff being posted!

I recorded a little something earlier, Syntakt & 0-Coast only.

6 Likes

I’ve been meaning to jump back into making some more synth based stuff. But I wanted to contribute. So here are some clips that I compiled from my Instagram.

They are actually a pretty good representation of how I approach using synths in making beats. Two of them are just basically toying around with a sequence that doesn’t have any drums on it. Two of them are toying around with a sequence by adding some drums and seeing how everything plays together. And two are pretty much finished beats where I sampled some other little synth jams I did, chopped them up and put some drums underneath.

There are also notes for the set up of each one in the video description.

A few of these have acoustic drum samples so they don’t completely fit the bill for this thread. The second little jam has an acoustic hi-hat and crash sound that I recorded literally decades ago. And the last track has some drums and congas that are sampled from some records.

12 Likes

I started making something but once it morphed into a soul tune I realised my hip hop terms of reference don’t extend past about 1990.

1 Like

Only just spotted this thread.

Is there a deadline?

Hope not… I need to learn how to make hip hop first. :joy:

Nice ones! Really digging the chord work—interesting to me how sampling vs. poly synth can call for pretty different approaches to working with chords, and these sound really fresh.

1 Like

Does using an MC-707 count given the drums are sample based?

I don’t mean to be flippant or rude… I’ve just found myself not caring. I’ve come to a personal realisation that stuff like this is a distraction from just doing my own thing and focusing on music that I like, without external influence.

If anyone wants to take over and set deadlines/parameters etc… knock yourself out :slight_smile:

Awe that’s a shame. I like these little challenges, for me at least it pushes me to think outside the box (excuse the pun).

It’s not a competition so I don’t think it needs a deadline. I think the synthesised beats element is worth’s keeping tho rather than using samples which sort of defeats the object.

I might just be shouting into the abyss tho :joy:

2 Likes

I didn’t consider this thread to be a challenge driven thing in the first place so let’s just keep it rolling as long as it’s fun.

1 Like

I might still make something. It’s more the extra life ‘responsibilities/distractions’

I’ve been more on a Techno tip at the mo, but maybe I’ll learn some stuff I can channel into this.

1 Like

Will do.

Newfangled Audio Generate
Sugar Bytes Drumcomputer /Aparillo
Fors Lux / Ego / Romb
Arturia Tape Mello Fi

8 Likes

Nice work fella really well realised beat…:+1:

1 Like

Thanks a lot !
Having a thread dedicated to Synthetis Hip-Hop is a good idea.
Hope we’ll keep it alive.

2 Likes

Yeah for sure, I’ll try and get some stuff posted soon…:+1:

1 Like

So yeah I went back in on the last beat I posted did some edits and added an acapella… not sure if it works or not but hey it’s done now onto the next one…

6 Likes

Well…that’s quite awesome !
Good choice of acapella, Roots Manuva is a boss.

2 Likes

Ah thanks man, appreciate it… and yeah roots manuva is definitely a legend, shame he’s had so much personal strife these last few years…

I must admit i’ve lost tracks after the second LP so i’m not aware of anything recent about him. But I’ll always remember the initial shock of the first album, it’s a classic case of a perfect record.
Your track is spot on with his style.

2 Likes

If this ever gets revived, I am down.

4 Likes