Electro vs. Electronic?

Let me know if you want anymore, got buckets of labela and artists to share :blush:

1 Like

[Past] Model 500 “Future”

[today] album CYBERSPACE REALITY, release date 2020, october the 30th

2 Likes

Good memories:

2 Likes

Great compilation

I think people who like electro can like this one. I play that one a lot in 1998… I take it out from my collection from time to time to play it again… it cool to begin a dj techno set. unconventionally :slight_smile:

or like I done recently here :

interesting to see so many link drexciya with electro

always thought of their catalogue as techno

i understand the fluidity of all these terms but that’s the most unexpected thing in the thread

2 Likes

They made techno too, this one bangs hard:

4 Likes

I used to breakdance to this back in the day :man_dancing:t3:

1 Like

I thought drexciya have always been known as more electro than techno to be honest, and Juan Atkins I’ve also felt is more electro even though he is hailed as the originator of techno, his early tracks are definitely in the electro mould

https://cpurecords.net/

Central Processing Unit is a great label for modern electro.

1 Like

If you want to post a few more here or DM them to me that’d be great. Even just a few labels to check out. Whatever is convenient.

And numbers from kraftwerk came before all of these

that kinda adds to my intrigue

seems like at least for detroit producers like atkins, “techno” can be a broader term than elsewhere

the artists themselves might refer to tracks as techno if it fits their futurist philosophies and intention for advancing such thought (even when we squeeze em into a narrower scope)

Some of my more modern favourites…

Radioactive Man’s Asking For Trouble label is great:

Ara U on Releases — NO STATIC / AUTOMATIC

CPU Records have already been mentioned.

Bass Agenda mentioned too:

1 Like

Electro vocoder ballad from finland about the concealed ancient alien dynasty. ( alien masters and human slaves :alien:)

Beautyful (I need an original 70s oberheim SEM in my life)

2 Likes

Plenty of excellent electro in this thread. Makes me happy to be here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This blew me away as a mtv-kid. Some months later I walked by chance into an exhibition from the pneumatic robot artist ( jim whiting, just looked up) in an old train wagon. Scared to death but impressed…

5 Likes

https://www.elektronauts.com/talk/85

Elektron talk with Aux 88 some years ago

3 Likes

Love to see the electro love here. I saw Urban Tribe at a Metroplex party once in Detroit. It was great.

2 Likes

AFAIK electro initially was a prefix to funk as in electro funk. Afrika Bambaataa etc. That included breakbeats. (= Non 4-to-the-floor).

Hence “Electro/Elektro” as a subgenre of electronic music to “us” (local group of techno people - later diverted to jungle/techno/whatever) was 808 or 606 bases music with breakbeat patterns, mostly with heavy elektro-snares.

Modern example: Anthony Rother:

5 Likes