Electro vs. Electronic?

Small piece feat. the Egyptian Lover. I’m glad i saw him performing live once in a club in Antwerp

1 Like

Electro for some people is short abbr. for electronic. In France, for a lot of people electro is even EDM. Trance even is associated with tiesto, Armin van Buuren… etc.

The above are popular, commercial, radio, generalist club

When we have electro (detroit), trance goa-gaia and esthetically and musicaly absolutely not the same. And more underground. (A debate would be is it underground anymore, debate i dont launch here as it’s not my point)

That’s Why nowadays a lot of people decided to tell the story and focus on musicology. And a lot god father tell history to the youngest so they are not confused anymore.

Commerce and marketing need new things everytime… so new generations get their new things. Dubstep, trap, future bass, glitch, Vaporwave…

But it’s just evolution of urban and electronic music already define and established long Time ago with just new tones and new approach + artists creativity…

Marketing just need to have fresh new things to sell.

watch 808 the movie and you will understood exactly how it’s happen and linked to detroit techno. But, very fast and from different place of the world… electronic music became a family with a lot of subgenre and all of it are legit.

1 Like

I was just watching that the other day. Some classic electro sounds in there.

4 Likes

This really confused me when reading gig listings for the first time when I moved to France - and then I realised that pretty much most things can be shortened to -o in French, and it made perfect sense.

This one is from a bit later and from Europe but also a classic:

5 Likes

Electro is basically techno with broken beats. And perhaps a bit more melodic parts.

Gesamtkunstwerk is probably the pinnacle of electro

What about “Electronica”?

1 Like

I reckon Electronica (IDM) is electronic music that’s not aimed at the dance floor.
(Autechre, B12, Sandoz (Richard H. Kirk), …

5 Likes

Ha! Was showing this tune to a friend on a zoom party when we were both a bit pickled last night.

Cracking tune :slight_smile:

1 Like

…define to define how to define…

common ground get’s harder and harder to find…

define common ground…
oops, got lost in the jungle of uberdiversification…

but can we find us on common ground and agree on one little thing at least…?
ful set use of classic roland drum kit classics…
sounds oldschool…
not futruristic…anymore…that’s all last century…
no matter how many further come backs might see their next come back again in big returns…

stereotypes are not timeless…they’re just stereotypes…for too many good reasons…
while still…only repetition makes the hit…

1 Like

Electronica was a word introduced In America pre EDM to cover all forms of electronic dance music, they were about 10 years behind the curve, they invented a lot of it but techno etc took off in Europe late 80’s and the term electronica came along late 90’s as far as I remember

1 Like

IDM was initially all the warp artificial intelligence stuff and similar whereas electronica as stated above was a catch all word used in the states towards the end of the 90’s that basically covered all forms of electronic dance music, electro predates techno , house etc

2 Likes

Always loved this one. 1982 I think. While it’s not the perfect example of the genre (more vocals than typical) it’s still a great track.
Old school electro has to be one of my favorite genres.

6 Likes

Yes! This is why I love the term, I grew up in Canada in the 90’s and all I listened to was rock music and I was aware of this term Electronica but had no idea what it was supposed to sound like.

Electro

1 Like

James Stinson of Drexciya is the ultimate electro producer for me. Minimal, futuristic productions with melancholic melodies.

10 Likes

I’m glad to see Drexciya and a number of Juan Atkins’ projects mentioned.

My favorite Drexciya track, just for good measure:

4 Likes

Electro

5 Likes

Electro

I was struggling to remember the band name. Old age sucks hahaha

Very nice. I wouldn’t have had a clue as to where to start looking or some contemporary Electro.