Edit: i fixed my issue, it wasnt model cycles

I had Model Cycles for a week. Tested it with USB audio, as an interface, and direct to my focusrite solo interface all while the cycles was connected via usb.

Two days ago, my interface crapped out, my beyerdynamic headphones just literally stopped working, and only put out weird treble sounds, and FL Studio, Reason and Cubase glitched out hard. The reason I think the Model Cycles had something to do with it, is because I was testing it as an audio interface, as well as setting it up using Asio4All as an input. When doing this, I noticed it caused a hissing noise while the input was activated. While testing model cycles at 48,000, the headphone input of cycles didnt work at all. I tested multiple headphones. Nothing worked.

I am returning it back to B&H Photo, and now have to order a new audio interface, and headphones. Very disappointing. I know many will say it wasnt the cycles, it must have been something else.

However, I never ever had any issues before the Model Cycles, and since the first time I plugged it into my system, something just wasnt right. I do believe I got a faulty Model Cycles, I truly do believe that. I do believe that it is entirely possible to get a faulty cycles that could potentially damage other equipment. I dont know how, but there is no other explanation other than the cycles had some issues going on that somehow fried my interface and headphones.

I know there is really nothing Elektron can do as I bought it from B&H Photo, and I returned it to them. I submitted a ticket to them just so they know what happened, not that there is anything that can be done. Just so disappointing.

I realize it happened after the model cycles, but it’s not going to damage your audio interface or certainly headphones. Your laptop or desktop’s USB ports have voltage overload protection and you’d get an error if it was somehow piping power directly in, it would clamp down on that immediately once it was sensed at the lowest levels.

Certainly many things are possible but I would investigate other possibilities first before assuming that it was the Cycles. Not because I feel any loyalty to Elektron, but because I’ve both done testing for hardware manufacturers and plugged in cheap USB kit in the past that has caused onboard USB hubs to yell at me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am just really floored, and so confused as to what the hell happened. It just doesnt make any sense because the cycles is faulty, the headphone input is broken. Also, when connected as Asio 4 all, and the cycles connected as the input so I could utilize midi in a DAW, there was a crackling hiss noise.

I have to return it anyway because the headphone inputs on cycles doesnt work at all, so I know it is at least faulty for that reason. I wish there was a way to know what caused the interface and headphones to fry

1 Like

I’m trying to understand this part. What was connected to what and how?

You didn’t connect Focusrite USB to Cycles did you? [probably a dumb question. But I’m a dumb guy] Direct to you Focusrite means from Cycles audio out to Focusrite XLR…right?

Hope you get sorted man. :+1:t6:

I tried a few methods. I first tested Cycles as an audio interface at 48,000. It was horrible lmao. Then I tested the audio output of cycles into the audio input of my focusrite solo, while cycles was connected via usb into my pc. Great, it worked for a week. I also tested cycles through Asio 4 all, only as an input device, and that worked as well. Frankly, FL Studio Asio worked better TBH

overall, the headphone input of cycles was broken, so for that reason alone I have to return it. Other than that, I will hopefully uncover why my interface and headphones got fried while cycles was connected

Yeah, of course. It’s crazy-making to have to troubleshoot this sort of thing, not trying to diminsh the frustration of having to replace so much or be unempathetic, I’m interested in knowing more about it and hopefully understanding if there might be some remaining stuff to break in your setup.

Silly question, but you connected your headphone’s 1/4" jack to the headphone output and not a 3.5mm into any of the potentially powered MIDI outs?

And when the interface/headphone got fried, you had the Focusrite connected via USB and with the headphones connected to the Focusrite?

I used my Cycles USB as audio in, and I was great. Perhaps the buffer of your DAW was too low.

Bottom line, you didn’t connect Focusrite USB to Cycles USB…right? Again, probably a dumb question. But just checking all possibilities.

2 Likes

My audio interface, and headphones got fried in this setup

Cycles output into focusrite input. Levels were normal, nothing peaking at all. everything at 12 oclock. Cycles connected via usb to my windows pc. Everything was fine until yesterday morning. I wanted to do something in Reason, and my headphones were fried. Volume knob on the interface stopped working.

I never ever connected cycles usb to anything but my pc.

1 Like

K cool! Phew. THAT I could see shit getting fried.

Sorry about your troubles. Baffling.

1 Like

Cycles 1/4" headphone out? That’s only going to be audio signals, sounds like an unpleasant coincidence and the Focusrite crapped itself. There’s no power being transmitted that could cause an overload there.

no, I had it coming out of the cycles output, not the headphone output

The Cycles L+R outs, still the same. It’s not going to create any sort of “spike”.

Your USB ports are still fine? Power isn’t going to flow from the Cycles back to the internal USB hub on your computer.

Still, what’s the model system or if custom-build, motherboard?

Have you tried some other headphones? Any kind?

Yea it wasnt any spikes, but I do have a question

Would it be possible for an issue to happen if you switch between Asio, interface, cycles as the audio drivers while headphones are connected? When you do that, it does cause tiny little audible pops

Damn. I did blow my DT770s with the M:C but it was my fault, I was playing with the lowest bass notes and adding loads of distortion to get these cool noises then all of a sudden the noise changed timbre in one ear in a cool way, I spent a while trying to figure out how I did that as the M:C isn’t really stereo, then gradually realised I’d blown one of the headphones :joy:

7 Likes

My beyerdynamics got fried, so I tried other headphones, and my interface was definitely fried. My headphones got fried because I tested the beyerdynamics in my portable speakers, and they didnt work at all

Reminds me of modular synths, sometimes you can get to a point where the noise is inaudible but will immediately blow your woofers.

You had the headphones connected to your Focusrite or Cycles?

And when you say your interface is busted, what’s wrong? It doesnt power up on USB bus power?

1 Like

My issue may have been caused by switching around the audio drivers while cycles was connected to see which drivers sounded the best. Doing this too many times maybe? I dont know

Aha yeah also nearly been there, was having a jam with some friends just after I’d got the Digitakt and was having a lot of fun with Ctrl-All, after a while one of them noticed the woofer was going crazy, turned it was a kick pitched down as low it would go which you couldn’t even hear – luckily the speaker was OK!

1 Like