DT MIDI loopback discussion

BUT… are you sure it wasn’t just queue-ing the program change before you muted it, and then triggering it at the pattern end?

(tbh, I haven’t played with this much, so someone else may be better placed to advise…)

seems to be working here with a regular MIDI cable, but dunno about mutes:

2 Likes

thank you
i will try this
midi loopback has amazing potential :slight_smile:

1 Like

A curious question - if MIDI merger was added into the MIDI loopback, would the loopback still work and allow me to use MIDI keyboard / MIDI controller as well?

I think so, why would it not?

1 Like

Hey!
thought’d id share.
I just worked out how to activate changes in the fx through hitting a Midi Track key.
A punch in effect similar to how i understand the OP-z works

set your midi track channel to the same channel as your fx track (9 is default).
set one of the assignable cc’s to a parameter of the fx track (85 is delay time for delay fx)
set the lfo trig mode of the midi track to TRG and adjust the depth to your liking
now whenever you hit that midi track key, your fx will change according to the settings of the LFO
Changes in delay time and reverb room size can be instantaneous or faded in.
you could even tune the 8 midi tracks for karplus strong type synthesis.

happy holidays!
way better than a sample pack :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I hooked this up last night and it’s an absolute joy. But now I have a slight problem. I received a brand new digitone today and synching the two is proving a bit of a conundrum. I’m wondering if running the loop back through ableton might be the best move since I have no way to feed midi clock and program change out of the takt…

1st world problem if ever there was one.

Ive ended up running it all through ableton as a solution for now. I suspect I’ll need a hardware splitter if I’m to break away from the DAW… wondering if anyone can recommend???

Hi! Late to the party, sorry! Fixed by now? Not an expert but wondering if you should not actually need a merger instead of a splitter? My Kenton midi merge works like a charm!

Hi, just wanted to add that since the last firmware I can make the MIDI loopback trick via USB to my phone, using the AUM mixer app as a MIDI router. This frees the MIDI IN (DIN-5 port) to attach my Faderfox controller.

Works great, and the AUM mixer also receives the DT audio via the same USB cable to process with the internal audio FX (EQ, dynamics) and also any other fx app

You can route other apps to this mixer too and mix them with the DT. Great app!

3 Likes

wow, this looks super interesting. does anybody know if there is such a thing for Android telephones?

I just set up the midi loopback for the first time (according to this probably well known tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLdldzRMIEc). So far the lfo control works as intended, however the sample on the track I control gets completly mangled (meaning its playing super high pitched). Does anybody have an idea on this?

edit: I think I just solved my own question - turning down the note on the trig page from c5 to c0 got me back the original sample. So I guess the midi channel applied its note value to the audio channel which resulted in pitching it 5 octaves higher.

2 Likes

That is impressive, especially on a device that can only pitch up/down 2 octaves :wink:

Maybe I am getting something wrong here, but I got different sounds from C5 to C0, with C0 playing the sample in original speed/pitch… :slight_smile:

Maybe you found a secret pitch hack :yum:

Well then I might have a wrong understanding, no reason to get mocking though, we’ve all been new at some point. I just tried to leave my best explanation for someone who might encounter the same error

Oh wow interesting! I’m gonna have to try this.

Sorry, wasn’t meant as mocking. :pleading_face:
It’s a “yum” emoticon, in this case I meant “that would be nice”. :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe there really is some weird way which pushes the pitch beyond 2 octaves.
And if there is, I want to know about it.

Notes C0-G0 trigger tracks 1-8

Of the 128 notes in the standard MIDI range, Note numbers 0–7 correspond to notes C0 through to G0, the leftmost octave (which is sometimes called C-2–G-2 in certain applications). These notes will trigger the Sound of track 1 through track 8, respectively (provided they are set to their default channels 1-8). These notes values map to each of the eight tracks, regardless of which track is active.

MIDI note numbers 12–59 (corresponding to notes C1–B4, the second through to fifth octaves in the MIDI range) will trigger the Sound of the active track in any of its 49 chromatic variations (as if played by the [TRIG] keys in CHROMATIC mode, see section below), from lowest to highest pitch.